advertisement

Change of turntable ahead…

I’ve been working more thoroughly on fine tuning levelling and cart weight. Think I’ve hit a bit of a sweet spot with the cart at 1.6g and levelling just about spot on. Also playing some newly cleaned vinyl which has made a difference by unmasking some less prominent background sounds. Sounding very fluid now. I remember my FILs Linn having a slightly larger soundstage I think but not as detailed or dynamic I believe. The Systemdek appears to have a very good grip on transients. I wonder how many are put off by the Nextel finish of the originals. It‘s a shame because these are fine turntables and deserve rediscovery. My Thorens is due back shortly. I’ll have to compare.

Fair point. Just tired of the same old ‘let’s have a pop at..’, it’s usually utter nonsense. Glad you are enjoying your deck.
No real problem. I understand it but it all becomes a bit tedious and dismisses the thrust of the each thread. It’s not a deep discussion thread but I try be positive and engaging. There are others on here who just seem to parachute in to start an argument(not you or the other contributor) and I kind of view this forum as one of the best when it comes to fairness and generosity.

I started blocking people with a track record for being confrontational and rude a few years ago. Works great! :0)
I did block someone momentarily a couple of years ago as they were a little ‘off their nut’ I think the term is and their response was odd and aggressive in a worrying way. But I thought better of it and realised it wasn’t worth it. The majority on here are welcoming, helpful and very knowledgeable. I like it that I can get advice so readily and it really is like having a conversation in the ordinary world. It’s a very well managed and moderated forum with contributors from many walks of life and I feel lucky to be a beneficiary of this haven for audio lovers. I’m no expert and I’ve learned such a lot.

As an aside, I’m very impressed with the value of the Tisbury Domino Phono Pre Amp. Nice little thing. The sound is an improvement on the Ifi I had previously. More detail and grip of dynamics. Works well with the Systemdek. I‘ve has a few devices lately that feel as though they are built to a quality rather than price. The Wiim Pro Plus if another example of this. Good times for Hifi at the moment

Last edited:
I’ve a space for an RCM but they are a little costly so I’ll build up my funds perhaps and live with the combination for a time to see what I can eke out.
You might be able to find a local hi-fi or record shop with an RCM who could clean records for a few pounds a disc. Trying it on a few stubborn cases would give you an idea of what improvements are or aren’t possible.

I was a happy Systemdek IIX 900 user for 17 years.

The Project Carbon 9cc sounds great on mine.
It’s a great arm for the price. I preferred it to an SME IV on Avid turntables, for example. Miles more fun. But it gets a bit ragged when push comes to shove. The turntable probably deserves better, in due course. The Mission 774 is a good shout . As might be an Alphason HR100s.

You might be able to find a local hi-fi or record shop with an RCM who could clean records for a few pounds a disc. Trying it on a few stubborn cases would give you an idea of what improvements are or aren’t possible.

I was a happy Systemdek IIX 900 user for 17 years.

My first deck was a Systemdek llX with a Basik Plus arm when I was 15. I upgraded to a LP12 when I was 20 and still have that deck today (I’m 55).

Wasn’t going to do this until later but I managed to snag myself a new 520 Mk 2 stylus with a very good discount. On its way. Looking forward to seeing what it can do.

Last edited:
The 520 mk1 cartridge which really elevates the mids and treble. Treble is excellent. The new stylus should add a little more bass foundation and weight whilst maintaining the excellence of the mids and treble which should be a beneficial shift in sound.
this journey has been a bit of a revelation really.

It’s a great arm for the price. I preferred it to an SME IV on Avid turntables, for example. Miles more fun. But it gets a bit ragged when push comes to shove. The turntable probably deserves better, in due course. The Mission 774 is a good shout . As might be an Alphason HR100s.
I don’t find it particularly ragged. it works well in partnership with the Ortofon 520 and offers a very engaging sound. I’m looking forward to the potential improvements with the new stylus. A little more bass depth and grip would really bring the sound into focus I feel.

The Ortofon 5x0 MM carts are high compliance so sink very little energy into the arm. Try and avoid as much mass as you can here and use the shortest lightest screws you can find. Nylon could be a good option. I’ve got a 540/II knocking around and liked it a lot, it really liked the lightweight Improved 3009 and would be great in an original 774, Hadcock etc. Think of it as a late-era take on the VMS range. FWIW I think the 540/II is a fair bit better than the 2M Black (I’ve not tried the others in either range).

Plugged in the new stylus.Bass response has improved and the mids and treble remain very good. Was a bugger to change the stylus though. Vocals are a little more prominent too. Needs to bed in but looking forward to a serious listen.

The new stylus makes a very evident difference. The soundstage has increased and there is greater depth in the sound. Bass has depth without losing articulation and the mids are perhaps a little more fleshed out. The sound of the trombone flashing out of the mix is captivating revealing body and edge and highs are well captured adding a touch of sparkle. Voices are a little more prominent and rounded and percussion sounds remain impressive as they pierce the soundstage. It’s essentially neutral but fast and dynamic which arrests any potential sluggishness. My ears are beginning to adjust a little more and I’m sure more things will come to mind over the next few days. It feels very easy to listen too with a touch of honey liquidity in the overall presentation which is my favourite kind of sound. I expect Cleo will sound luxuriant with this cart.and despite the full presentation there’s still space between instruments and placement is obvious. Great sound for little expenditure. My bag. I can see an achievable upgrade path here with the 540/2 appearing to be a good target in the future.

Sound is still revealing things and my ears are adjusting. This is a very nice cart. I was more aware of the breadth of the soundstage this morning and it handles orchestral crescendos well with a poise and generosity that made me smile. Be able to have some proper critical listening this weekend.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back