advertisement

‘Contempt of Parliament’

Just had a look and Corbyn ruled out an alliance with the SNP at the last GE (but he could change his mind now) and the SNP said that any alliance would have to be on the basis that Labour would scrap the Trident renewal (don't know if that renewal has been started by now though)

Because a) no alternative Tory MP could command a majority of votes and b) even if they could command sufficient votes, no potential leader would want to take over the current mess. Even if the ERG could get the necessary number of signatures for a 'no confidence' motion, it would be easily defeated. It all reminds me of an ancient Private Eye cartoon of Richard Nixon saying 'No-one's going to shoot me with Spiro Agnew next in line'.
Sorry a bit OT: but rather the same applies to Trump......

I wouldn’t know whether to laugh or cry. Laugh at the sight of the DUP whoring themselves around, or cry at Corbyn choosing to be in coalition with a set of Neanderthals.

As things stand I can’t see it happening, but it does beg the question who could a minority Labour form a working coalition with? The SNP could be politically difficult after almost wiping out Labour in Scotland. Would the Lib-Dems win enough seats to give Labour a working majority? I guess we’ll have to wait and see.
"Why won't Labour stop this government!"

(Labour accepts DUP support as the only way to stop government)

"Why are Labour aligning themselves with these bigots!"

You couldn't make it up.

The Tories didn't do all of this to themselves: they still have a tonne of establishment support and if Labour had blown it in the way that so many have been encouraging them to over the last two years (Move to the centre! Play the immigration card! Forget the referendum result!) May would not look half as bad as she does now, her hard Brexit deal would be set to pass comfortably, and the Conservatives would likely have another 2 or 3 terms to complete their asset stripping before finally imploding.

And if they had made a left wing, redistributive case for Remain or a soft Brexit they would be poised to win an overall majority at the next election.

As home sec she had a dull reputation for stubbornly getting things she didn't wholly agree with done badly. Less political visionary, more put upon head of HR. Unbelievably, she has managed to take political mediocrity to positively psychedelic levels of intensity in the last 24 months. I sincerely hope we don't see anyone more capable of inspiring total apathy hold high office in our lifetimes again.

As I've been saying ad nauseum for ages, she's nasty, vindictive, pig-headed, arrogant and useless beyond words. How she is still in post is beyond me. But clues to that mystery can be found on these very forums. Day after day we get anti-Corbyn and anti Labour crap from people who are supposedly on the left politically.

It's cognitive dissonance. They can see that May is a disgrace as PM but they choose to attack a bloke who isn't PM for what he hasn't done instead of turning on May for what she has done. Utterly ridiculous.
It hasn’t occurred to you that people might be capable of doing both. Perhaps even sometimes almost simultaneously?

And if they had made a left wing, redistributive case for Remain or a soft Brexit they would be poised to win an overall majority at the next election.
Why? Because they'd have more remainers on side now? I very much doubt that. Or more leavers? Even more doubtful: one leave constituency (well off vindictive pensioners in the south east) will never be talked out of Brexit, let alone into support of Labour. And it would have been hard to make a really compelling left wing case for Remain to the other leave constituency (disenfranchised working class voters in the north), because they'd heard all about how great workers' rights were under the EU, while experiencing something quite different. The only compelling left wing case for the EU they could make was negative: you will be even worse off if these bastards slip the harness of these other bastards. I think that's basically what they did. And everyone had heard enough of that kind of talk by then: no-one believed things could get better, or even much worse for them - they wanted to force a confrontation, and spread the pain around a little.

But why do I keep rising to the bait? This is just another variant of "If Liz Kendall were in charge Labour would be 20 point ahead in the polls!"

But why do I keep rising to the bait? This is just another variant of "If Liz Kendall were in charge Labour would be 20 point ahead in the polls!"

I think they'd be better off with Felicity Kendal.

As things stand I can’t see it happening, but it does beg the question who could a minority Labour form a working coalition with? The SNP could be politically difficult after almost wiping out Labour in Scotland. Would the Lib-Dems win enough seats to give Labour a working majority? I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

I was working on the basis that the Tories throw in the towel and Corbyn tries to cobble together a coalition without a General Election. Post-General Election scenarios are anyone's guess.

If May loses a vote of no confidence Corbyn will be given the chance to form a government first, before a general election is called.

Why? Because they'd have more remainers on side now? I very much doubt that. Or more leavers? Even more doubtful: one leave constituency (well off vindictive pensioners in the south east) will never be talked out of Brexit, let alone into support of Labour. And it would have been hard to make a really compelling left wing case for Remain to the other leave constituency (disenfranchised working class voters in the north), because they'd heard all about how great workers' rights were under the EU, while experiencing something quite different. The only compelling left wing case for the EU they could make was negative: you will be even worse off if these bastards slip the harness of these other bastards. I think that's basically what they did. And everyone had heard enough of that kind of talk by then: no-one believed things could get better, or even much worse for them - they wanted to force a confrontation, and spread the pain around a little.

TBH I think this is just a failure of imagination and leadership. And we are still in this unicorn land of promising a renegotiation that cannot happen.

Last week no deal was the only alternative to May's deal, because certain people said so. Come on. There is going to be a renegotiation, one way or another.

As I've been saying ad nauseum for ages, she's nasty, vindictive, pig-headed, arrogant and useless beyond words. How she is still in post is beyond me. But clues to that mystery can be found on these very forums. Day after day we get anti-Corbyn and anti Labour crap from people who are supposedly on the left politically.

It's cognitive dissonance. They can see that May is a disgrace as PM but they choose to attack a bloke who isn't PM for what he hasn't done instead of turning on May for what she has done. Utterly ridiculous.

Add to this incompetence today's absolutely damning report on Windrush. On May's watch. She's culpable but Brexit has let her off the hook.

On the other hand maybe Windrush is Corbyn's fault as well.

If May loses a vote of no confidence Corbyn will be given the chance to form a government first, before a general election is called.

Suppose May's Brexit position is lost but the DUP still vote with the Government on a confidence motion. Just saying...

Suppose May's Brexit position is lost but the DUP still vote with the Government on a confidence motion. Just saying...

I’d expect they’d vote with the Tories, I don’t think the DUP and Corbyn have much in common ideologically as far as Ireland is concerned.

Just had a look and Corbyn ruled out an alliance with the SNP at the last GE (but he could change his mind now) and the SNP said that any alliance would have to be on the basis that Labour would scrap the Trident renewal (don't know if that renewal has been started by now though)

Every large party says they won't form a coalition BEFORE an election. If they didn't the smaller party might get more votes.

Afterwards they can change their mind. After any election they can change their mind "because it was obviously the will of the people". Etc.

^Well then it's no deal after all, because a GE, a referendum, revoking A50, Norway+ are all going to involve negotiation. If you take the EU at their word you should be backing May to the hilt.

advertisement

Back