advertisement

‘Contempt of Parliament’

As I've been saying ad nauseum for ages, she's nasty, vindictive, pig-headed, arrogant and useless beyond words. How she is still in post is beyond me. But clues to that mystery can be found on these very forums. Day after day we get anti-Corbyn and anti Labour crap from people who are supposedly on the left politically.

It's cognitive dissonance. They can see that May is a disgrace as PM but they choose to attack a bloke who isn't PM for what he hasn't done instead of turning on May for what she has done. Utterly ridiculous.
The May shitshow is a given. But we hold those supposedly on our side to higher standards.

I can see a constitutional crisis soon after May refuses to resign after losing a vote of no confidence.
I presume that the Queen can sack a PM?

May being bad doesn't make Corbyn good.
The Tories didn't do all of this to themselves: they still have a tonne of establishment support and if Labour had blown it in the way that so many have been encouraging them to over the last two years (Move to the centre! Play the immigration card! Forget the referendum result!) May would not look half as bad as she does now, her hard Brexit deal would be set to pass comfortably, and the Conservatives would likely have another 2 or 3 terms to complete their asset stripping before finally imploding.

As I've been saying ad nauseum for ages, she's nasty, vindictive, pig-headed, arrogant and useless beyond words. How she is still in post is beyond me. But clues to that mystery can be found on these very forums. Day after day we get anti-Corbyn and anti Labour crap from people who are supposedly on the left politically.

It's cognitive dissonance. They can see that May is a disgrace as PM but they choose to attack a bloke who isn't PM for what he hasn't done instead of turning on May for what she has done. Utterly ridiculous.
The mixed messages are quite confusing at times I agree.
The last paragraph sums matters up nicely.

May being bad doesn't make Corbyn good.

But May being bad for the country makes May bad for the Country. It's a qualitatively different issue to Corbyn's fitness/otherwise to lead Labour,. and it's a million miles way from Corbyn's stance ideologically and politically.

May embodies everything that is shitty, distasteful, immoral, uncaring, lying, theiving, incompetent, corrupt,and self serving about her shit bag of a party. Corbyn is a genuine bloke who refuses to play the politics game, leading a party trying to heal the damage done by Bliar, and also steer it through this mess. Don't forget, he's also got elements of the EU against him because they don't like what his policy proposals do to their 'investment' in the UK.

I can see a constitutional crisis soon after May refuses to resign after losing a vote of no confidence.

She could

But it would be the last thing she ever did as monarch...

You could call her stuborn and see it as some sort of virtue. 'Not for turning' sort of bollox.

Or you could call her stubborn as a vice.. because she simply won't see alternatives.

Personally I just think she's lost all grip on reality.

She could

But it would be the last thing she ever did as monarch...

Surely that would depend on Parliament? It would be a constitutional issue and therefore down to Parliament rather than Govt. May has few friends in Parliament right now and it is reasserting its authority. AIUI, if May is unable to form an effective Govt with the consent of Parliament, Madge can invite Corbyn to do so.

How, she hasn't lost a vote of no confidence, the govt lost a vote and were held in contempt.

If there is a no confidence vote for May I suspect she would win it as the last thing the govt wants is a GE.

I don't think the Queen can dissolve parliament or sack a PM on her own after the change to the fixed term act.

I would imagine the Queen would like a Brexit. And probably doesn't like a Corbyn.

Surely that’s just about elections? The PM can change, in fact AIUI the government can, without a general election.

Edit: Anyway, contempt of parliament? This is a real OMG moment and it seems to be passing with more concern about the procedural implications and the documents they were withholding than about the fact that the government acted in contempt of parliament.

As I've been saying ad nauseum for ages, she's nasty, vindictive, pig-headed, arrogant and useless beyond words. How she is still in post is beyond me.

Because a) no alternative Tory MP could command a majority of votes and b) even if they could command sufficient votes, no potential leader would want to take over the current mess. Even if the ERG could get the necessary number of signatures for a 'no confidence' motion, it would be easily defeated. It all reminds me of an ancient Private Eye cartoon of Richard Nixon saying 'No-one's going to shoot me with Spiro Agnew next in line'.

Surely that would depend on Parliament? It would be a constitutional issue and therefore down to Parliament rather than Govt. May has few friends in Parliament right now and it is reasserting its authority. AIUI, if May is unable to form an effective Govt with the consent of Parliament, Madge can invite Corbyn to do so.

And he would fail. He almost certainly couldn't get the DUP to join a coalition, and the SNP and LibDems would probably demand a reversal of Brexit as the price of joining.

And he would fail. He almost certainly couldn't get the DUP to join a coalition, and the SNP and LibDems would probably demand a reversal of Brexit as the price of joining.
The DUP have made noises about aligning themselves with Corbyn. The SNP and LibDems will do what's best for them of course, but I'm sure something could be worked out.

I thought Corbyn ruled out any alliance with the SNP a while ago?

The DUP have made noises about aligning themselves with Corbyn.

I wouldn’t know whether to laugh or cry. Laugh at the sight of the DUP whoring themselves around, or cry at Corbyn choosing to be in coalition with a set of Neanderthals.

As things stand I can’t see it happening, but it does beg the question who could a minority Labour form a working coalition with? The SNP could be politically difficult after almost wiping out Labour in Scotland. Would the Lib-Dems win enough seats to give Labour a working majority? I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

advertisement

Back