advertisement

Yamaha NS1000M

Well, I won’t be going rackless after all, I don’t think!

After a frustrating hour and a half hunting for a pair of speaker cables to use with the amp (can one fit modern banana terminals to these amps?), I ended up having to make up a pair from some basic old QED cable. Anyway, that was all sorted.

There’s a synergy at work here I guess, with the CA-1010 and NS-1000Ms, that produces a very organic sound that I’m really loving. I’m not keen on words like ‘organic’ in this context, but I can’t think of any better one to summarise. Bass seems more enveloping, and upper mids have a greater delicacy. It sounds more real.

Of course, it has loads of knobs and switches, 90% of which are of no value to me!

But, it also has two VU meters that mesmerise with their largely synchronised swaying against subtle backlights.

This amp is a delight.

Ah! Look perfect. Are they a solder job, or what exactly?

Yes a solder job, but the plates and screw holes are designed to fit exactly.

You ‘can’ also drill out the spring terminals a bit to fit bananas (so I have heard, not tried personally)

I’m not taking a drill to it!

Seriously, I’m happy to pay someone who will do a good, neat job.

No rush, anyway. :)

Anyway, what about the sound? The moniker Yamaha use - ‘Natural Sound’ seems to make sense when you use their amps and speakers together, or it could be just good marketing! I’m glad you’re enjoying it!!

I always find when assessing new equipment I need a night to sleep on it. Often we come to new equipment (esp if it has a rep) with all sorts of preconceptions and expectations. It needs a little time to let the dust settle. Take your time Whale man.

I agree, and at the weekend might do some (necessarily sighted) comparisons.

Nonetheless, first impressions are very favourable.

I collect rugs and it’s also my work, so I’m pretty lucky there as the addiction can be maintained.

Bloody expensive too for cheap caps . The original caps are of much better quality excluding the electrolytic's in the LF section .

advertisement

Back