advertisement

panzerholz plinth?

id be interested in your thoughts using panzerholz as a tonearm board,ive used it in the past and it sounded very good.
my current turntable uses a 5mm aluminium plate on top of a block of 21mm mdf.

Hi Jamie, Panzerholz is an excellent material, if you can get hold of a bit, and machine it.

With regards to your present plinth, aluminium and mdf. The obvious problem to me is the thickness of the aluminium. Bending stiffness will be high, which will probably affect damping. I don't have my two layer spreadsheets to hand, but with a three layer (Al/mdf/Al) laminate, it suggests using a much thinner layer of aluminium, 1mm is OK, getting progressively worse with increasing thickness, which may be counter intuitive.

With 5mm of aluminium, the bending stiffness is high, not what we want! If fact, the fundamental resonance frequency and critical frequency are nearly the same, meaning that any benefit from the high mass is negated, and you may hear sound from the plinth above those frequencies.

So, either reduce the aluminium thickness down to 1mm, or choose a different material would be my advice.

What I was trying to achieve was the most simplified and stripped down design. Hopefully others will look at it and realise that they can build something similar themselves.

Well Joe your bearing and removeable centre spindle has given me the idea I needed to finish an old project so thank you for that.

Hi Jamie, Panzerholz is an excellent material, if you can get hold of a bit, and machine it.

With regards to your present plinth, aluminium and mdf. The obvious problem to me is the thickness of the aluminium. Bending stiffness will be high, which will probably affect damping. I don't have my two layer spreadsheets to hand, but with a three layer (Al/mdf/Al) laminate, it suggests using a much thinner layer of aluminium, 1mm is OK, getting progressively worse with increasing thickness, which may be counter intuitive.

With 5mm of aluminium, the bending stiffness is high, not what we want! If fact, the fundamental resonance frequency and critical frequency are nearly the same, meaning that any benefit from the high mass is negated, and you may hear sound from the plinth above those frequencies.

So, either reduce the aluminium thickness down to 1mm, or choose a different material would be my advice.

helen i was talking about the tonearm board not the turntable plinth,the board is only 125mm square and is bolted to the plinth,i got a price for an off cut of panzerholz but its more than im willing to pay at the moment,im also waiting for a sample of permali which i believe is basically the same thing,the other option is using a block of ebony.
what are your thoughts?

Hi Jamie,

yes, Permali is very similar to Panzerholz, and may be even better at lower frequencies. If you can get a piece of Permali the size you require, it will be more than adequate for the job. I believe that the people who make Permali make the wood boards that go under F1 racing cars!

I did a quick test on an ebony block, and it was less than useless, about the same damping factor as mdf and slate (it is very hard, read stiff!). It is about the same as some of the worst hard woods. Which is a pity, as in most cases where the wood 'looks' nice, it would measure quite poorly.

Thats a bit of a tease.... more information is needed ..... and pictures. ;)

Ok I'll post some pics of my current turntable tomorrow. I built it around a Clearaudio bearing and platter and even though I modded the platter by bolting a lump of aluminium to it it's not really a true home build is it so I decided to make my own bearing, hub and platter. I didn't have a lot of spare cash but the chap next door let me have some 25mm acrylic and I bonded three sheets together and machined it up. I got stuck with the bearing and the project stalled. The thing is I'm not over keen on a fully floating bearing preferring to have a small amount of weight sitting on the shaft most likely through a ball bearing and thrust plate. I couldn't work it out but after looking at your removeable spindle it gave me the idea that if the spindle was threaded into the top of the platter or bearing then it could be adjusted to take a small amount of weight off the maglev. Does that make sense? I have another platter made out of paxolin somewhere too. Out of interest how much does a lump of aluminium like that needed to make your turntable cost?

Chops

That sounds like you have a fun project on the go there.
The aluminium billet that I bought was 320x90 ( to allow for machining ) and was bought from an eBay supplier for £120 delivered.
I maybe could have found it locally for less but, to be honest, couldn't be bothered to personally visit all the stock holders around here to try and shave a few quid off that price.

I don't know if it is of any interest to folk contemplating building a similar deck but the costs of my deck were roughly thus...

Panzerholz.. £ 90

Aluminium, stainless steel, Oilite, tungsten carbide bar and brass £310.. I have most of the brass and the Oilite stock still left over.

Labour to machine all the metal, to cnc the plinth and a small amount of finishing to various bits .. £570

Bear in mind that ,in a sense , I did none of the work myself. You can save a lot on the labour if you can do it yourself.

Last edited:
That sounds like you have a fun project on the go there.
The aluminium billet that I bought was 320x90 ( to allow for machining ) and was bought from an eBay supplier for £120 delivered.
I maybe could have found it locally for let but, to be honest, couldn't be bothered to personally visit all the stock holders around here to try and shave a few quid off that price.

I don't know if it is of any interest to folk contemplating building a similar deck but the costs of my deck were roughly thus...

Panzerholz.. £ 90

Aluminium, stainless steel, Oilite, tungsten carbide bar and brass £310.. I have most of the brass and the Oilite stock still left over.

Labour to machine all the metal, to cnc the plinth and a small amount of finishing to various bits .. £570

Bear in mind that ,in a sense , I did none of the work myself. You can save a lot on the labour if you can do it yourself.

hi joe,
do you have any panzerholz left over? im after a piece 125mm square,ideally 22 or 21mm thick?

hi joe,
do you have any panzerholz left over? im after a piece 125mm square,ideally 22 or 21mm thick?

I can sort you out on the size but the thickness is 25mm.... thats what it comes in. Do you have machining facilities?... reducing a 125x125 mm block from 25mm might be a bit of a sod?
I will talk to Misterdog and see what we can do.

helen i was talking about the tonearm board not the turntable plinth,the board is only 125mm square and is bolted to the plinth

I am trying to leave this conversation between yourself and Hell'n'Back but the design you describe I am struggling to picture.

If your armboard has those proportions and is bolted to your plinth would it not mainly have the sonic properties of the plinth?

I can sort you out on the size but the thickness is 25mm.... thats what it comes in. Do you have machining facilities?... reducing a 125x125 mm block from 25mm might be a bit of a sod?

yes it would be too small to machine down,i have a small bit but it would need jointing in 1 direction to get the width,it is large enough to drum sand down to thickness first though,i'll have a go tommorrow.

I am trying to leave this conversation between yourself and Hell'n'Back but the design you describe I am struggling to picture.

If your armboard has those proportions and is bolted to your plinth would it not mainly have the sonic properties of the plinth?

i would have thought so but im no expert,here's a pic for clarity :) the plinth is cast ally by the way.

IMG_1990_1.jpg

the original armboard is made from mdf and 5mm ally

IMG_1995_1.jpg

It would need milling to reduce the thickness, though it would also need CNC ing for the oval slot srew holes etc so could be done at the same time.

advertisement

Back