advertisement

Mains conditioning

Just 1 fridge/freezer in the house.
238v supply regenerated to a steady 230v with the power inspired.
I originally wanted a UPS for my Dac to stop it going into standby after a power cut causing loud thuds through the speakers and sub. I came across the AG500 and thought I'd give it a go.

Just 1 fridge/freezer in the house.
238v supply regenerated to a steady 230v with the power inspired.
I originally wanted a UPS for my Dac to stop it going into standby after a power cut causing loud thuds through the speakers and sub. I came across the AG500 and thought I'd give it a go.

Good info. The power inspired is a reasonable price as well compared to PS Audio & Purepower although it doesn't allow user selection of frequency between 50 and 60 hz which can do wonders for taming mechanical hum from transformers (not that I have any of that type of hum anymore - all my gear is now designed for 50hz). Will check them out.

Good info. The power inspired is a reasonable price as well compared to PS Audio & Purepower although it doesn't allow user selection of frequency between 50 and 60 hz which can do wonders for taming mechanical hum from transformers (not that I have any of that type of hum anymore - all my gear is now designed for 50hz). Will check them out.

Yes, definitely worth a go.
The only downside to the AG500 is the IEC output connectors rather than UK sockets on the rear panel, but you can re-terminate your cables or buy suitable ones.
The AG1500 has a UK socket on the rear.

Cheers
Matt

The only downside to the AG500 is the IEC output connectors rather than UK sockets on the rear panel, but you can re-terminate your cables or buy suitable ones.

Cheers
Matt

My Audio Magic box has Schuko output so I also have the benefit of no fuses from it to the kit. Assume the IEC is also fuseless so a benefit

Cheers
Matt

I don't understand why they've made them this way - I have the 1500, with only one IEC output and one UK socket. That necessitates the use of a multiway block.
The 500 has a bank of 6 IEC's so no multiway needed (nor plugs with fuses !).

I believe though that both were originally intended for computer use and their popularity for hi-fi is relatively recent.

My Audio Magic box has Schuko output so I also have the benefit of no fuses from it to the kit. Assume the IEC is also fuseless so a benefit

Yes, fuseless cables. It's easy to make your own or buy any extra ones you need(1 is supplied). I have I DIY extension cable with 2 MK twin sockets on the end, I just took the UK plug off and fitted a Male IEC.

I don't understand why they've made them this way - I have the 1500, with only one IEC output and one UK socket. That necessitates the use of a multiway block.
The 500 has a bank of 6 IEC's so no multiway needed (nor plugs with fuses !).

I believe though that both were originally intended for computer use and their popularity for hi-fi is relatively recent.

I think your right about the computer end of things.
There was talk of an AG500 with UK socket, but it hasn't happened yet.
The good thing about these Power Inspired regenerators is that if your running under 50% load, you can turn the fan down to minimum so it's inaudible.

Very good service from Power Inspired too, I ordered my AG500 on a Friday lunchtime, it shipped an hour later and was delivered to my house in Dublin on the Monday.

I have the best, most problem free power that any HiFi addict depends on. I only realised this having been a sheep to fix a problem I didn’t have.

I have the best, most problem free power that any HiFi addict depends on. I only realised this having been a sheep to fix a problem I didn’t have.

Let me guess. Batteries all round? Separate phase supply for your hifi? Getting rid of your ovine pursuits? Pray tell !

Let me guess. Batteries all round? Separate phase supply for your hifi? Getting rid of your ovine pursuits? Pray tell !
Normal urban power and no envy of others.

I do appreciate that those in more rural and remote from sources locations have total misery down a bit of wire

Last edited:
I have used the Power inspired AG1500 and AG500. I bought the AG1500 as the mains in my house was running routinely at 248-249VAC. I also had DC offset. Both of these were causing the power transformers on my TRON power amp to saturate. As I have 104 dB/W horns, I could hear the hum through my system, which clouded the sound.

Once I hooked up the AG1500, this cleaned up the power feed to my amp and the hum disappeared with an improvement in SQ. I use the smaller one in my second system, which has a Radford STA15 in it.

Charlie

Mains has no effect whatsoever on the sound of hi fi (other than silence if it's not present!), so save your money...
Only bad over or under voltage conditions in rural areas and when using generators etc could need a reconditioned but it's to give the correct voltage and frequency for safe and consistent operation, not to do with sound quality.

Maybe theoretically, Jez, but in practice, there are far too many people who have improved the s.q. of their kit by way of regenerators and/or dedicated circuits. I do have reservations about whether the electrical supply has the same beneficial effect on valved kit as opposed to s/s, but generally, there are different types of tranny involved, which may be a clue.

Maybe theoretically, Jez, but in practice, there are far too many people who imagine they have improved the s.q. of their kit by way of regenerators and/or dedicated circuits. I do have reservations about whether the electrical supply has the same beneficial effect on valved kit as opposed to s/s, but generally, there are different types of tranny involved, which may be a clue.

FTFY!

Mains has no effect whatsoever on the sound of hi fi (other than silence if it's not present!), so save your money...
Only bad over or under voltage conditions in rural areas and when using generators etc could need a reconditioned but it's to give the correct voltage and frequency for safe and consistent operation, not to do with sound quality.

What about putting 250V into an electronic component designed and optimised for 230V?

I have an AG500 and it certainly improves the sound as well as ensuring the electronic components service life is not compromised.

I don’t run my amp off it though.just DACS, streamer, or turntable and phono amp.

What about putting 250V into an electronic component designed and optimised for 230V?

I have an AG500 and it certainly improves the sound as well as ensuring the electronic components service life is not compromised.

I don’t run my amp off it though.just DACS, streamer, or turntable and phono amp.

Try re-reading my post which you quoted....

Try re-reading my post which you quoted....

Indeed,I have, a number of times; you say that a reconditioned (regenerator?) gives the power the kit needs but is not to do with s.q. Surely, the reason to employ one is to optimise s.q. by delivering a steady, correct voltage. What you are saying seems counter intuitive to me, or maybe it's the way you phrased it; I dunno. Anyway, there's far too much user evidence out there, as in the post above. You do seem be burying your head in the hifi sand (amp's), Jez, but even ostriches have to come up for air.:)

Last edited:

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom