advertisement

Multi-function 2017/2018 football thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you'll go on to win The Champions League. Stranger things have happened. Utd won it one year through sheer luck.

Jack

Hi Jack was that the year when the great JT stepped up to take a penalty that would have covered him and the team in glory, but instead he forgot he was wearing banana slippers and ended up on his arse with the ball sailing a country mile high and wide, if this is the case thanks for reminding me as I had forgotten all about it, in fact it has made me chuckle and put a smile on my face.

ta very much

Players past and present have waxed lyrically about Celtic 's special atmosphere on Euro nights at Parkhead.

Bayern Munich star Arjen Robben became the latest world star to be awestruck with the thunderous noise which emanates from the stands in the Champions League after Wednesday's 2-1 win against Brendan Rodgers' side.

Now German journalist Heiko Niedderer has added his voice to those who have been blown away by a trip to Celtic Park.

Niedderer was bowled over by the noise and he even described Callum McGregor's equaliser as orgasmic.

The likes of Lionel Messi have commented on the big atmosphere in Glasgow's east end, but no one has quite described it in as much detail as this German scribbler.

He said: “If you want to know what the big bang feels like, you just have to be in Celtic Park when Celtic Glasgow scores.

“This stadium is pure magic. The fans in the stands are just amazing. (Daily Record) et al

FIFA named Celtic as having the best fans in the world a few weeks ago - no surprises there!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/celtic-named-best-fans-world-11396349

Just to balance matters:

The Celtic support hit a new low yesterday when fans were caught taunting Falklands war hero Simon Westen during yesterday's Old Firm game.

Celtic fans were heard chanting 'Argentina, Argentina' and were waving Argentina flags. One fan was pictured on front of today's Scottish Sun waving an Argentina strip.

It is the latest shameful incident involving Celtic fans. In 2001, Celtic fans were caught on camera during an old firm game, mocking American International Claudio Reyna after 9/11 by waving their arms in an aeroplane motion.

A minority of their fans also failed to observe a minute's silence for former Rangers goalkeeper Gerry Neef. Fans of Celtic quite often refer to Rangers fans as 'Scotland's Shame', but the so called greatest fans in the world have proven yet again that their fans are an embarrassment to Scotland.

Speaking about yesterday's shameful taunts towards Mr Weston, former SAS commander Clive Fairweather said: 'It is very extreme and disappointing.'

Ex-Army major Mike Rumbles MSP added: 'It is totally unacceptable. This mindless rivalry between Old Firm fans has now hit a new low. This is deplorable.'

Rangers supporters' trust's Stephen Smith commented: 'It's a disgrace that this abuse was directed at one of the country's war heroes.'

Mr Weston has became well known in the public in the UK after his horrific injuries suffered during the Falklands war. Simon suffered horrific burns to almost half his body when his ship, the Sir Galahad was destroyed by an Argentinian bomb during the 1982 war.

The veteran was guest of honour at a special Rangers Charity Foundation's lunch the day before Rangers' 1-0 victory over their old rivals.

To be welcomed in this way by Celtic fans is a total disgrace, and those responsible should hang their heads in shame.

There's an embarrassment of riches of this stuff I never realised how low a group of fans can stoop although I know quite a few Celtic (both Glasgow and Stalybridge) fans who would be disgusted by this.

the day before Rangers' 1-0 victory
You are talking ancient history. :D

The issue has already been addressed; all clubs have moronic fans. Do you really want me to dig up dirt about racist or thuggish Utd fans and keep this shit going on and on?

Stop being a petulant little bore and try to put some positives on the thread. Or are you still sore that Celtic were the first British team to win the European Cup?

There's now rumours that Tom Cleverley may be called back into the England squad FFS.

Sense has prevailed and Zinedine has not been recalled.

But the world record holding diver has been.

Southgate says Chris Smalling was dropped because he wants England defenders to be able to use the ball from the back.

Wow, that’ll gut him!

A Scottish football feel good tale:

A RANGERS fan has proven to be an inspiration to the city after he helped out a Celtic supporter who got on the subway which was packed with rival supporters.
Matthew McGovaney, 21, spotted lone Hoops fan Graham Kelly, 27, on the subway when he got on with his brother Brian, 30, and another family member.
The Celtic fan, from Rutherglen, who ended up on the train after missing his supporter's bus, offered Matthew a seat after seeing he was standing on crutches which he was using due to a torn ligament in his ankle.
But Matthew, from Garthamlock, showed more concern for his city rival Graham who was alone in a train full of more than 50 Rangers fans.
Matthew said: "On the way home from the match, we jumped on the subway. There was about 50 Rangers fans who got on the train and just as we got on I noticed a boy sitting with a green jacket and scarf on
"He looked out of place and vulnerable. He offered me a seat."
Matthew declined the offer but later took a seat next to the supporter as the carriage freed up.
He said: "I sat down beside him, spoke to him and asked him if he was OK. I said that we would make sure that he get off okay. There was a few guys singing and a bit of growling towards him but nothing else."
Matthew and his family walked Graham to the city's Cathedral Street which was clear of supporters to help him on the way to the Gallowgate to get his friends.

This is the type of thing that brings tears to ones eyes in fact i'm all choked up.

Noise from supporters is not the only barometer to judge a football teams fans. West Ham were at Palace on saturday for example and apparently gobbed on some people in cars which caused an upset, It would be stupid to claim all West Ham supporters were the same.

Back in the day I used to go to West Ham when Palace were not playing so I have some bias for them.

Liverpool and the number of ex players as pundits can be annoying but their supporters are usually sporting about opposition players, ( obvious exceptions apart)

Our fans usually give support beyond the ability of the team but I am under no illusion about fans....ours will reduce by about 40% when we get relegated.

Genuine supporters who whatever the weather or league support their team through thick and thin are deserving of credit not those who follow success.

Gasser, I understand you love your club but to wax lyrical on being the best supporters in the world, whether voted by FIFA or otherwise is a laughing matter. The recent banners and hung effigies displayed by a sizeable support ie the green brigade is very concerning.
I respect the club’s action earlier in the season to close the green brigade section for 2 games which seems to have curbed that sort of extremism. Brendan Rodgers can take credit for a common sense approach where his predecessors like Lennon and O Neill seemed to delight in controversy.

Abramovich has decided to sack Conte, according to the sports newspaper Marca in Spain. You can read about this in the Metro.

The Russian supposedly didn't like the text Conte sent to Costa in the summer saying the player wasn't wanted. Conte had already told the Brazilian this months earlier though. It just sounds like an excuse.

Apparently there is tension between Conte and the team. He has allegedy stopped speaking to Abramovich and communicates through director Marina Granovskaia.

Granovskaia and technical director Michael Emenalo control the transfers. They didn't bother to buy the extra striker Conte wanted during the summer. They also pushed for Mourinho to be sacked and seem to be a pair of power-mad nutcases.

I predicted this would happen. Sometimes it is a f***ing bore supporting Chelsea.

Jack

Gasser, I understand you love your club but to wax lyrical on being the best supporters in the world, whether voted by FIFA or otherwise is a laughing matter.

The recent banners and hung effigies displayed by a sizeable support ie the green brigade is very concerning.

I respect the club’s action earlier in the season to close the green brigade section for 2 games which seems to have curbed that sort of extremism. Brendan Rodgers can take credit for a common sense approach where his predecessors like Lennon and O Neill seemed to delight in controversy.

What I put up about Celtic fans being awarded by FIFA and being lauded by world renowned players is a matter of fact. The FIFA award was given for their display celebrating the Lisbon Lions.

The Green Brigade don't make up what I would call a sizeable section of the fans. Wiki says they are 500, but I would suggest the actual number as twice that. They are youngsters/students who are labelled a left wing ultras group. However they in no way behave like a typical ultras group if that means looking for confrontation. You just don't see trouble at home games at all. There is no Millwall up here so Scottish football is generally quite peaceful these days :D

The effigies were cringeworthy indeed, and people remember them as being in extremely bad taste, but on a scale of harm caused at football matches they would be pretty far down the list. The fact that the visiting support that day smashed toilets and sinks at Parkhead (£16k? of damage) is not remembered at all tells it's own story. I think the GB have got the message about the negative image they create and seem to have toned down the banners etc in the last year.

I don't agree with your comments about O'Neil and Lennon, but I'll leave a response for another day. Want to see the next episode of Stranger Things 2.

I predicted this would happen. Sometimes it is a f***ing bore supporting Chelsea.

Jack

Chelsea always sack the manager after a bad result like that against Roma. Look on the bright side, Alan Pardew is looking for work!

What I put up about Celtic fans being awarded by FIFA and being lauded by world renowned players is a matter of fact. The FIFA award was given for their display celebrating the Lisbon Lions.

The Green Brigade don't make up what I would call a sizeable section of the fans. Wiki says they are 500, but I would suggest the actual number as twice that. They are youngsters/students who are labelled a left wing ultras group. However they in no way behave like a typical ultras group if that means looking for confrontation. You just don't see trouble at home games at all. There is no Millwall up here so Scottish football is generally quite peaceful these days :D

The effigies were cringeworthy indeed, and people remember them as being in extremely bad taste, but on a scale of harm caused at football matches they would be pretty far down the list. The fact that the visiting support that day smashed toilets and sinks at Parkhead (£16k? of damage) is not remembered at all tells it's own story. I think the GB have got the message about the negative image they create and seem to have toned down the banners etc in the last year.

I don't agree with your comments about O'Neil and Lennon, but I'll leave a response for another day. Want to see the next episode of Stranger Things 2.

Ignore him mate.

Whataboutery.

Hun

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back