advertisement

Multi-function 2017/2018 football thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackbarron

Chelsea, London
Chelsea's former leader and legend John Terry has signed to Aston Villa for a year. He is on £60,000 a week and says he would like to eventually manage Chelsea, reports the Metro.

Terry won 15 trophies and scored more goals than any other defender in the Premier League while at Stamford Bridge. He has had offers from around the world, but decided to go with Villa. This will allow him to work on his coaching badges. The bonus is he will not play Chelsea, because Villa are a Championship team.

I like that tack. Having Lampard in City against Chelsea was kind of weird, although he always got a cheer at Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea have only completed one incoming transfer so far. The have got hold of Manchester City goalkeeper Willy Caballero. He will back up Courtois, who Real are no longer chasing.

As for other possible moves are on the go. Reports said yesterday that Conte would spend up to £100 million on Lukaku. I hope not, he isn't worth that at all. The BBC reckon today that the forward would prefer to go to Utd. This good news. It would be far better for Chelsea to get a world class striker to replace Costa.

The latter is apparently going to hang on at Stamford Bridge until Athletico Madrid have their transfer ban lifted and can buy him back.

Chelsea still haven't clinched a deal to get Brazil international left back Alex Sandro from Juventus. The transfer fee has gone up to £61 million.

In the meantime Roma's Antonio Rudiger is allegedly in London to undergo a medical at Stamford Bridge. The Italians and Chelsea have agreed on a fee of £34 million for him. Conte is looking for a successor to John Terry in defence and the German international Rudiger could be it.

Monaco and French international midfielder Tiemoue Bakayoko has completed a medical and the formalities. He is going to cost Chelsea £35 million, according to the Daily Star.

It looks like Conte is sorting out Chelsea's defence and midfield. This is good, because some of the present team are getting on a bit. The burning question is who will he get in as a striker. I would have been happy with Alexis Sanchez or ... Ronaldo.

Have any other Premier League teams completed some transfers? Spurs are very quiet on the subject, which is good. It means they will continue to be second rate.

Jack

Spurs are always very quiet and understated about their transfer business, yet in the past few seasons have made some astute and excellent signings.

Questions about Spurs shouldn't be about transfer dealings, but whether they can cope with the Wembley as a home for a season!

Spurs are always very quiet and understated about their transfer business, yet in the past few seasons have made some astute and excellent signings.

Questions about Spurs shouldn't be about transfer dealings, but whether they can cope with the Wembley as a home for a season!

They shouldn't worry about that. Chelsea will be taking residence in there soon.

Jack

As for other possible moves are on the go. Reports said yesterday that Conte would spend up to £100 million on Lukaku. I hope not, he isn't worth that at all. The BBC reckon today that the forward would prefer to go to Utd. This good news. It would be far better for Chelsea to get a world class striker to replace Costa.

Jack

this is the worry for me. like you, I just don't see Lukaku as a replacement for Costa. Not sure why we've cooled on Morata, he looks more versatile than Lukaku.

That is a good point. The Telegraph think Morata will end up at Utd, who have been chasing him all summer.

Jack

Yes, I think we need someone who can hold the ball up and bring others into play and I don't think that's Lukaku.

Perhaps if we changed the way we play with the 2 other strikers playing higher and becoming a permanent 3-4-3, then Lukaku might work. We might score a lot of goals as Lukaku occupies the central defenders and others buzz around the spaces, but there will be an obvious price to pay defensively which the bigger teams will exploit.

Everyone says that Chelsea play 3-4-3, but we don't. When we haven't got the ball it's 5-4-1, and we don't have the ball most of the time. Can't think of many games that we dominated possession.

I'm not sure Lukaku is the right fit for a Chelsea that plays with a lone striker

Have any other Premier League teams completed some transfers? Spurs are very quiet on the subject, which is good.

Jack
As always, your concern for the mighty Spurs is touching. Kyle Walker may be going to Man City, Ross Barkley may be arriving from Everton. Mourinho would like Sir Harry Kane to come to Old Trafford. Dreamer!

Ironically Manchester City are trying to buy Walker, who is only being allowed to leave Spurs because they have managed to tie Trippier to a new 5 year contract.

That's Trippier the ex-Man city reject!

The Daily Express seem to think that Lukaku isn't interested in Utd and is on his way to Chelsea. Oh well.

Meanwhile German centre half Antonio Rudiger has said his heart beats for Arsenal ahead of his £36 million transfer to Chelsea. He's a great player, but perhaps we shouldn't bother with him.

Jack

Maybe he's been brainwashed by Mesut. Us Germans, we love Monsieur Wenger.

#YaGunnersYa

Just a pity he always seems to be going for the wrong Germans.

Manchester United agree £75m deal with Everton for Romelu Lukaku

Thursday 6 July 2017 10.24 BST

Manchester United have agreed a £75m fee with Everton to buy Romelu Lukaku and are confident of pushing through the deal before the weekend so that the Belgium striker can fly out with the rest of the team to the United States on Sunday.

Lukaku would be United’s second summer signing after the arrival of Benfica’s Swedish centre-back Victor Lindelof for £31m. The club’s manager, José Mourinho, had become frustrated with the lack of progress on signings as he had said early on in the summer that he wanted as many new arrivals in place before they set off for their pre-season tour.

The move, if it goes through, will be a significant blow to Chelsea, whose manager, Antonio Conte, had identified Lukaku early on as his main reinforcement up front. The champions, who have been unable as yet to offload Diego Costa, must now decide whether or not to table their own counter-offer to Everton for Lukaku.

Reports in Belgium have suggested the Italian has spoken to the Everton forward over recent weeks, outlining where he sees him in his first-team plans and stressing his significance to the side’s approach, and had envisaged the deal being completed before his own squad return for pre-season training next Monday.

Missing out on the Belgian would place further strain on Conte’s relationship with the Chelsea board, with the manager having been frustrated to date at the club’s inability to add to his options. The club have seen the likes of Asmir Begovic, Nathan Aké, Tammy Abraham and John Terry depart either on permanent or long-term loan deals, and have only confirmed the arrival of Willy Caballero on a free transfer from Manchester City.

Conte, who had infuriated the hierarchy by texting Costa to inform him he was no longer in his plans, has pinned much on Lukaku’s addition, and it will be intriguing to see if the club’s hierarchy now act swiftly to lodge their own bid with Everton for the striker’s services.

The alternative options would, ironically enough, be Álvaro Morata – whom United had previously targeted – or the Torino forward, Andrea Belotti, though both know they were always second-choice to Lukaku.

United dropped their interest in Morata this week after the Spanish club refused to lower their asking price of €90m (£79m).

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/06/manchester-united-romelu-lukaku-everton-agree-fee

Manchester United agree £75m deal with Everton for Romelu Lukaku

Thursday 6 July 2017 10.24 BST

Manchester United have agreed a £75m fee with Everton to buy Romelu Lukaku and are confident of pushing through the deal before the weekend so that the Belgium striker can fly out with the rest of the team to the United States on Sunday.

Lukaku would be United’s second summer signing after the arrival of Benfica’s Swedish centre-back Victor Lindelof for £31m. The club’s manager, José Mourinho, had become frustrated with the lack of progress on signings as he had said early on in the summer that he wanted as many new arrivals in place before they set off for their pre-season tour.

The move, if it goes through, will be a significant blow to Chelsea, whose manager, Antonio Conte, had identified Lukaku early on as his main reinforcement up front. The champions, who have been unable as yet to offload Diego Costa, must now decide whether or not to table their own counter-offer to Everton for Lukaku.

Reports in Belgium have suggested the Italian has spoken to the Everton forward over recent weeks, outlining where he sees him in his first-team plans and stressing his significance to the side’s approach, and had envisaged the deal being completed before his own squad return for pre-season training next Monday.

Missing out on the Belgian would place further strain on Conte’s relationship with the Chelsea board, with the manager having been frustrated to date at the club’s inability to add to his options. The club have seen the likes of Asmir Begovic, Nathan Aké, Tammy Abraham and John Terry depart either on permanent or long-term loan deals, and have only confirmed the arrival of Willy Caballero on a free transfer from Manchester City.

Conte, who had infuriated the hierarchy by texting Costa to inform him he was no longer in his plans, has pinned much on Lukaku’s addition, and it will be intriguing to see if the club’s hierarchy now act swiftly to lodge their own bid with Everton for the striker’s services.

The alternative options would, ironically enough, be Álvaro Morata – whom United had previously targeted – or the Torino forward, Andrea Belotti, though both know they were always second-choice to Lukaku.

United dropped their interest in Morata this week after the Spanish club refused to lower their asking price of €90m (£79m).

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/06/manchester-united-romelu-lukaku-everton-agree-fee

I don't think you'll find many Chelsea fans here too upset if Lukaku goes to MU, Lukaku being a bad fit for Chelsea has been discussed here quite a bit. Nor do I think it'll be a problem between Conte and the board. I got the feeling that Lukaku was a Michael Emenalo project. Conte always seemed more interested in Morata.

Interesting times

Manchester United agree £75m deal with Everton for Romelu Lukaku.

It's good news that Lukaku is off to Utd, if the deal goes through. He might be tall and a bit of a bruiser, but he has no style or élan. It wouldn't surprise me if he turned out to be another Torres-like curse, if he came to Stamford Bridge.

The £75 million Lukaku is going to cost can definitely be spent better elsewhere. Real's Morata and Torino's Belotti are two examples. Dortmund's Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is another.

Aubameyang was the top scorer in the Bundesliga last season with 31 goals, which is 5 more than Lukaku. He has grace and flair, instead of being a lumbering oaf. Thinking about it Aubameyang could be the best replacement for Costa, because he is a real poacher.

I am sure Conte has got something up his sleeve. I hope he doesn't try to scupper Mourinho by offering £100 million for Lukaku, a figure made up by some newspapers earlier in the week.

Jack

Everton denying any deal for Lukaku has been agreed.

But if it has

Neymar, Bale and Griezman must be gutted!

You mean the players that the press highlighted as targets? Like Messi to rejoin Pep? :D

What do you reckon Bob? Do think that City could actually win something under Pep or do they need to buy a defence first?

Apparently Utd haven't actually made an offer yet, but are willing to go to £75 million for Lukaku. Everton want Chelsea to top this of course. I hope they don't.

According to The Independent Real's Alvaro Morata is surprised by Utd's interest in Lukaku and will now target Conte at Chelsea.

It would be great if Chelsea signed Morata rather lump Lukaku. The Spaniard has wanted to play for Conte ever since his days at Juventus.

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back