advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110101)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That makes no sense. You are not required to accept an MDAC2 (which will be so good that John forsees a real struggle to improve it) - you can wait for the FDAC.

Also Timow, have you not been reading what John has been saying?? John thinks that the MDAC2 is going to be so good that he's not currently sure how to make the FDAC significantly better. So having got to that point with the design then the next priority obviously becomes completion of the implementation.

I can think of many reasons why some prefer to wait for FDAC:
FWC, FPGA, DSP, internal PSU and phono stage etc. which is all improvements over MDAC2.

Personally I am looking forward to Munich where I hope to pick up one of the very first MDAC2 :p

I can think of many reasons why some prefer to wait for FDAC:
FWC, FPGA, DSP, internal PSU and phono stage etc. which is all improvements over MDAC2.

:) Indeed :) when I say "improvements" I'm referring to sound quality - I see the FDAC's DSP & Phono stage as "Extra's" over the primary task of "Best sounding DAC"

OBVIOUSLY :) MDAC2 is being designed to meet its primary task of being one of the best DAC's I can design... Only "fringe" techniques such as Tubes or the VFET Digital I/V stage might / will offer improvements...

I really dont understand where the idea has been seeded that the MDAC2 will be somehow lacking in SQ performance - after all this EFFORT!

All I have said was that its a battle to squeeze it into the Chassis - but the external VR PSU has significantly eased the task :)

Talking of the Detox. Isn't the production visit coming up?

Adam,

As promised I followed up with out vendor in China (as it all went quite last week and I lost track with the project as I'm buried in designing the MDAC2).

The Detox MK2 (Production versions) of the Detox chassis have been rejected by QC due to fine tooling lines visible on the surface - we are working with the vendor on solutions...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/Detox MKII lines 1.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/Detox MKII Lines 2.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/Detox MKII lines 3.JPG

With the UK pounds collapse after britexit we have had to find cheaper vendor to meet the price target... as a manufacturer and UK as our "primary' market britexit has really made our life much harder.. :(

Before Britext we used to work with 1GBP = US$1.6, days after britexit we are working to 1GBP = US$1.2 and that has a big impact... :(

:) Indeed :) when I say "improvements" I'm referring to sound quality - I see the FDAC's DSP & Phono stage as "Extra's" over the primary task of "Best sounding DAC"

OBVIOUSLY :) MDAC2 is being designed to meet its primary task of being one of the best DAC's I can design... Only "fringe" techniques such as Tubes or the VFET Digital I/V stage might / will offer improvements...

I really dont understand where the idea has been seeded that the MDAC2 will be somehow lacking in SQ performance - after all this EFFORT!

All I have said was that its a battle to squeeze it into the Chassis - but the external VR PSU has significantly eased the task :)

With respect John it was probably your insistence that trying to fit everything into the MDAC chassis was going to compromise sound quality. The whole reason the FDAC came about in the first place!

With the UK pounds collapse after britexit we have had to find cheaper vendor to meet the price target... as a manufacturer and UK as our "primary' market britexit has really made our life much harder.. :(

Are you sure?
PFM is a british located forum.
But are are the majority of your MDAC2 / FDAC / VFET customers British?

Are you sure?
PFM is a british located forum.
But are are the majority of your MDAC2 / FDAC / VFET customers British?

Yes, I guessmate about 70% verse 30% outside of the UK.

But you must also recall we have priced the "At Cost" in GBP...!

With respect John it was probably your insistence that trying to fit everything into the MDAC chassis was going to compromise sound quality. The whole reason the FDAC came about in the first place!

As you no longer have a financial interest in the project it would maybe be better to keep your thoughts to yourself?

Adam,

As promised I followed up with out vendor in China (as it all went quite last week and I lost track with the project as I'm buried in designing the MDAC2).

The Detox MK2 (Production versions) of the Detox chassis have been rejected by QC due to fine tooling lines visible on the surface - we are working with the vendor on solutions...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/Detox MKII lines 1.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/Detox MKII Lines 2.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/Detox MKII lines 3.JPG

Before Britext we used to work with 1GBP = US$1.6, days after britexit we are working to 1GBP = US$1.2 and that has a big impact... :(

John I think we all have to accept that this idiotic decision will result in higher costs than you originally estimated its entirely reasonable we just have to swallow it as we have to for every thing else we buy.

John I think we all have to accept that this idiotic decision will result in higher costs than you originally estimated its entirely reasonable we just have to swallow it as we have to for every thing else we buy.

Sadly yes, but we will do our best to support the UK and keep the difference as small as possible...

As a backup plan we also have the Detox MKII chassis samples coming from the original vendor, but they have yet to arrive.

BE718

from my point of view there are two kinds of participants here.
Ther first one is knowing about Johns Know How and experience and the confidence that he would do everything possible to deliver the best possible solution and try to satisfy every ones personal requirements ( thats one of the resons why such open discussed projects are very, very, very hard to be managed)
This type of participant is thankful for the chance to be part of such an unique project, beeing involved in technology discussion to find best solutions for all and sometimes recieving a product with an amazing price performance ratio.
The second one is the one who is not directly interested in all technical discussions and knowledge and he does not care about someone who pours his heart and soul into his work . He has only one reason for participating. Bying a superb product for as little money as possible.
But there is nothing you recieve as a gift. The second type should have been
clear on taking a risk with his participation.
So it is up to you to decide to which kind of participant you belong.

Christmas is just around the corner an I try to go for my good deed today.
So BE718 I can jump in for a second investment and take over yours but only on one condition. Please stop undermining this project.

Rest assured that once I have got my money back I am gone, I have zero interest in following the project further or engaging in any way with it. Others are perfectly entitled to spend their money and time as they wish. This isnt a vendetta.

Regards

Alan

Having memory trouble BE718?

As a backup plan we also have the Detox MKII chassis samples coming from the original vendor, but they have yet to arrive.
Thanks for the update John. I hope the vendors can solve the problem. I'm not sure it would bother me if there was a slight mark on the case, but I'm sure you would want to maintain high standards.

I started following this thread with an interest in the FDAC, and stayed out of fascination when circumstances meant that was too expensive at the time. As people are coming and going from the lists, what is the cost of an MDAC2 looking this at the moment? Despite having read everything for a year I can't work it out!

Thanks for the update John. I hope the vendors can solve the problem. I'm not sure it would bother me if there was a slight mark on the case, but I'm sure you would want to maintain high standards.

I would be happy with the detox as is based on your photos.

Aaron

Hello, just found this forum and this forum and thread.
This is a question for users who have used the Audiolab M-Dac (I hope I am in the right place).
I am completely new to audiophile equipment, so please be patient.
I have the opportunity to buy a good priced, used, Audiolab M-Dac (could be my first DAC) to which I will connect a pair of powered speakers but I will also use headphones often.
I have seen that most DAC/Preamps/Headphone Amps combos do not have a dedicated Output select button/switch.
So, my question is: how does the Audiolab M-Dac react when playing music through rear outputs and I connect headphones to it?
Does it automatically cut the rear?
Do both front and rear play music at the same time?
Do I need to double click a button to select output?

Thank you!

John, I thought you were using your own machines to make this in China? I'm guessing the QC was in China; if so why did they go ahead and send anyway....Anyway, it seems to me to be a minor issue and a fix should be possible, maybe a final polishing step is required.

I'm OK for a 15% price increase (I did vote Brexit after all).:)

Plugging in headphones will operate a relay which cuts the signal to your speakers, so Yes, No and No.

Before closing the deal you need to inspect the interior of the unit: some have capacitors which are failing due to faulty manufacture. These will probably not work for much longer.

I have seen that most DAC/Preamps/Headphone Amps combos do not have a dedicated Output select button/switch.
So, my question is: how does the Audiolab M-Dac react when playing music through rear outputs and I connect headphones to it?
Does it automatically cut the rear?

The rear output is muted when a pair of headphones is inserted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back