advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110101)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would that be more or at least expensive compared to the full width chassis?

Tim,

The Full width chassis option for MDAC2 will most likely follow after VFET / FDAC as I need to focus our efforts on completing these projects - so sourcing MDAC "shells" is the only option in the near term.

John,

Did you do any further testing with HQPlayer upsampling to DSD512? I've tried RBCD to DSD512 and so far not impressed. I don't hear anything wrong with DSD512 versus foobar2000 playing the original RBCD, I just don't get why everyone is saying it's fantastic. To me the difference is minute.

There are loads of permutations of filters and modulators and I haven't tried them all, but I have tried the recommended poly-sinc-short/poly-sinc-short-mp with DSD5v2/ASDM7/AMSDM7.

IME the best SQ comes from DSD or CD's recorded with the utmost care, and these are easy to distinguish.

Thanks

We dont find any benefit converting PCM to DSD... only native DSD makes any sense... Keep the data as "pure" as possible.

Jarek has been trying to test our USB hardware solution to see if it can work with DSD1024 (in theory it should) but we cannot find a reliable way to "upsample" to DSD1024 to be able to test our hardware!...

Nice to be so ahead of the curve :)

Nick,

Great news :) does the DAC now work correctly?

Trouble free so far but it had been behaving itself just before anyway. I'll see how it goes over the next week.

My biggest improvement is my boxed Calex with power switch, so much easier than pulling the plug every time. I'm attending a bake off this weekend so may take it with me now, see if anyone wants a listen.

Trouble free so far but it had been behaving itself just before anyway. I'll see how it goes over the next week.

My biggest improvement is my boxed Calex with power switch, so much easier than pulling the plug every time. I'm attending a bake off this weekend so may take it with me now, see if anyone wants a listen.

Yes please do bring it as I've never heard a modified M-DAC. It'll be interesting to hear how it compares to my DACs (DDDAC, DiDiT 212 and Meitner MA1).

RPI now streaming to MDAC here for the first time. Truly added something to the overall sound of the music. Certainly better than both USB/Laptop and CCA/Toslink, Why?. Will the RPI be used for streaming purposes too John in MDAC2? If so it won't be too shabby at all.

Just need to figure why it's playing 24/44.1 for Tidal now:rolleyes:

For the more critical Audio LPF I'm working with a UK based vendor for custom parts :)[/QUOTE]

That's interesting didn't think we made stuff like that here anymore :eek:

This is boring lets not pollute this thread with Brexit crap and if you believe anything an economist predicts or bankers say then how come most of them didn't warn us about the financial crash .the point is we have to pay more now for our stuff from John its not his problem from my point of view and I appreciate his efforts to compensate but all Briits have to accept its our fault.

Hey John,

Do you think the FDAC is within this year? The only reason I'm holding out is the combination of a DAC made by yourself with EQ - if it's not relatively soon then I can't keep putting off finding another solution. My room is awful at 50hz and minidsp is a disappointment (which make me nervous about other stuff they do but keep getting reassured is all in my head or user error)

Cheers

Hey John,

Do you think the FDAC is within this year? The only reason I'm holding out is the combination of a DAC made by yourself with EQ - if it's not relatively soon then I can't keep putting off finding another solution. My room is awful at 50hz and minidsp is a disappointment (which make me nervous about other stuff they do but keep getting reassured is all in my head or user error)

Cheers

Yes, both the FDAC and VFET will be out this year after MDAC2 - I want to move onto other projects ASAP.

Of coarse all the styrenes I use are made by them good as they get.

Cost is an issue - but MDAC2 is designed to be reference grade :)

I'm also using styrenes for the Analogue and DAC PSU decoupling - but parts made in Taiwan due to cost (something like x40 pcs used) ... still they will be better then any Ecap - in an effort to reduce the "warm-up time" which is so noticeable with the original MDAC.

RPI now streaming to MDAC here for the first time. Truly added something to the overall sound of the music. Certainly better than both USB/Laptop and CCA/Toslink, Why?. Will the RPI be used for streaming purposes too John in MDAC2?

Yes, the RPi (CM3) is dedicated for Audio streaming in the MDAC2.

By the end of this month, you can try an MDAC2 "Streamer" PCB, it will be able to be operated "standalone" for software development ahead of MDAC2 release.

Hi John,

This was suggested at the beginning of January. Is it still feasible? I'd be very happy to provide feedback.

Hi John,

This was suggested at the beginning of January. Is it still feasible? I'd be very happy to provide feedback.

Jarek whos working on the MDAC2's CM3 board has been diverted to MQA, as the CM3 board is scheduled for release AFTER MDAC2's initial release so its not such a problem - however we do need to understand the hardware impacts of MQA so we can support it on FDAC / MDAC2 in the future if it gains a critical mass...

Basically after CES I was told, and I quote from my Skype ”if this John is so famous designer, why he forget to implement MQA in our three products, he must foresee such things. When I was in Las Vegas I said to everybody how great is our new products and all the people asked me if there is MQA support. When I answered that not, I looked stupid and I hate to look stupid”...

So there you have if - its official, I'm stupid!

Funny thing is, once the cost of adding MQA was factored, it has been dropped from the L1 & L2 MiniDACs, only the L3 will have MQA... (please note this nothing to do with MDAC2 / FDAC, we can support MQA if required (AT EXTRA COST)).

Back in January a few posters on this thread basically cried that without MQA all future DAC sales where dead - OK I'm slightly exaggerating, but that's my basic interpretation of the "noise" ... :(

OK, the offer's there if you need it in the future.

FWIW, I am underwhelmed by any improvement in sound from TIDAL Masters albums via PC. It's irrational for MQA to assume any significance until proven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back