advertisement

DeAgostini Classic Jazz on 33 1/3 Collection

I had similar problems with the Ella & Louis; noticeable surface noise on one side and a glitch on the last track. I returned it and a perfect replacement appeared very quickly.

misterc6... Who did you return it to?

I've subscribed, so I suspect I'll have to complain via the website?

Mull

It seems that the Ella & Louis is the one people have had problems with. Mine had a noisy ripple warp and I returned it to my newsagents, but they were unable to get me a replacement. There was probably a whole bad batch of poor pressings for this record? I could not initially find a replacement under the back issues on their website as the page only went to issue 5, but the page is duplicated elsewhere and is upto date, so I will try another copy. Every other issue I have had from them has been as good or better than some of the quietest flattest pressings I own.

Ho! and I'm approaching 70 as well and love Eric Dolphy, but then I was listening to him when I was 20! ;)

Hmmm, I was listening to lots of modern jazz around 1962 at age 13..
Somehow I missed Eric..;)

Mull

misterc6... Who did you return it to?

I've subscribed, so I suspect I'll have to complain via the website?

Mull

Call them on 0330 159 3822, from memory that's a call centre on the sub-continent, it cost 6p a minute but the call was dealt with quickly. They give you a Freepost address in Jarrow and a twelve character return code. Make sure you get proof of posting and put your account number on the package.

HTH

When I had a small problem (label not stuck down properly) with the Charlie Parker issue, I contacted them via email and included a couple of photos (appreciate that might not be possible with a skipping track) , they just sent a replacement, they didn't want the original back. I've framed it!

Hmmm, I was listening to lots of modern jazz around 1962 at age 13..
Somehow I missed Eric..;)

Mull

I was listening to Jazz from that age as well, while most of my friends were listening to Cliff & The Shadows :p. In 1961 I was 14 and in November that year the John Coltrane Quintet played Walthamstow Town Hall, not far from where I lived, and Dolphy was part of the quintet but I missed him then as well ;) In 1964 he died followed by Coltrane in 1967, but at least we have some great music on record by them.

Call them on 0330 159 3822, from memory that's a call centre on the sub-continent, it cost 6p a minute but the call was dealt with quickly. They give you a Freepost address in Jarrow and a twelve character return code. Make sure you get proof of posting and put your account number on the package.

HTH

Thanks.

I emailed them and they will apparently get back to me 'ASAP' whiich probably means Monday.

We'll go from there.

Mull

Bang goes my theory that they're only releasing Verve, Blue Note and Columbia label releases. Seems strange that we're up to issue 13 and all so far are from those 3 labels though.

Jonathan

Well it was originally on EmArcy, then part of Mercury, and EmArcy is now part of the Verve Music Group, but Mercury is part of the Universal Music Group. :confused:

Well it was originally on EmArcy, then part of Mercury, and EmArcy is now part of the Verve Music Group, but Mercury is part of the Universal Music Group. :confused:

The DeAgostini Italian issue (Jazz 33 Giri) has the Sarah Vaughan on the EmArcy label but with Phonographic Copyright to Verve:

https://www.discogs.com/Sarah-Vaughan-Sarah-Vaughan/release/5019446

The entire 100 disc Italian set is nicely catalogued on Discogs here:

https://www.discogs.com/label/605960-Jazz-33-Giri?layout=med

It's interesting, but somewhat disturbing, to note that seven of the first twenty-one Italian issues have not appeared over here. Of those seven I definitely want Saxophone Colossus (Sonny Rollins) and Brilliant Corners (Thelonious Monk). DeAgostini's FAQs are still pointing to 100 issues in the UK. I wonder if they're having licensing issues with some labels and may have to settle for a shorter run?

The DeAgostini Italian issue (Jazz 33 Giri) has the Sarah Vaughan on the EmArcy label but with Phonographic Copyright to Verve:

https://www.discogs.com/Sarah-Vaughan-Sarah-Vaughan/release/5019446

The entire 100 disc Italian set is nicely catalogued on Discogs here:

https://www.discogs.com/label/605960-Jazz-33-Giri?layout=med

It's interesting, but somewhat disturbing, to note that seven of the first twenty-one Italian issues have not appeared over here. Of those seven I definitely want Saxophone Colossus (Sonny Rollins) and Brilliant Corners (Thelonious Monk). DeAgostini's FAQs are still pointing to 100 issues in the UK. I wonder if they're having licensing issues with some labels and may have to settle for a shorter run?

As per my '3 labels only' theory above, all those missing Italian issues were on labels other than Verve, Blue Note and Columbia.

I have an EX+ USA 1958 stereo Riverside 1174 A2/B2 pressing of Brilliant Corners, but I would certainly try for a better pressing than my (1990's? ) Saxophone Collossus if they do reissue it in this series.

advertisement

Back