advertisement

Should Ched Evans be playing professional soccer?

Its a daft decision for the club and they will regret it. Two sponsors so far have pulled out and an official announcement has not yet been made.

And as we know, money talks and bullsh*t walks.
his fiance's father has apparently offered to match any sponsors who withdraw (and pay his salary for the first year).

his fiance's father has apparently offered to match any sponsors who withdraw (and pay his salary for the first year).

Sounds like insanity gone mad. Expect a stampede of sponsors heading for the exit turnstile.

I can understand Evans thinking he's innocent and his family supporting him in that. I can't understand why the fiance and her Dad are supporting him though - whether they think it's rape or not, Evans clearly comes over as an untrustworthy scumbag.

Mrs Evans will not be the only women to forgive her footballer. Ryan shagged a catologue of women including his brothers wife yet Mrs gigs can be seen in the stands as he takes his place on the utd bench as assistant manager. Even posh forgave becks and she as her own money.

Mrs Evans will not be the only women to forgive her footballer. Ryan shagged a catologue of women including his brothers wife yet Mrs gigs can be seen in the stands as he takes his place on the utd bench as assistant manager. Even posh forgave becks and she as her own money.

AIUI she's not actually married to him yet.

what we are dealing with appears to be the rogue decision of a jury who probably convicted him on reputation and the fact he was a footballer .

Really?

You were there in the jury room during their deliberations?

Or is it just a decision that you disagree with?

As an aside I think that you have posted ( and reposted ) your opinion enough in this thread. If you haven't convinced people yet I suspect that it's not going to happen.

Surely the judge, prosecution and Evan's no doubt very expensive defence team all fully understood the law regarding consent?

I do find it astounding there are so many arguing against the rape victim here. We are not dealing with some random chav with a fourth-rate legal-aid defence team, this is a millionaire footballer with access to the very best defence money can buy - if his team couldn't get him acquitted I'd say it was pretty safe to conclude he's guilty.
Is he really a millionaire? Do league 1 & 2 footballers get paid that much? I think not. £100k per year absolute tops I'd say.
His future father in law is, however, a millionaire.

The new counterfeit morality (hat tip to the excellent Claire Fox of the Institute of Ideas) of the Mrs Grundys of the Guardian and other bien-pensant types doesn't seem to extend to other ex-cons in the field of light entertainment - Stephen Fry, Ricky Tomlinson, and Leslie Grantham among them. Apparently their offenses (just remind yourself of Grantham's crime) don't offend against Suzanne Moore's irrational standards. Nor do we hear demands to curtail the career of boxer Amir Khan, whose crazy driving caused life-changing injuries to a foundry worker in Bolton, and perhaps led to his early death.

Even allowing that Evans was correctly convicted, no one (and certainly not the tedious self-righteous bullies with their endless petitions) has made the slightest rational case for preventing him carrying on his trade, now that he is released from prison.

It's about time some in the Oldham Board room stopped listening to a few self-appointed wet nellies, and got on with it.

Really?

You were there in the jury room during their deliberations?

Or is it just a decision that you disagree with?

As an aside I think that you have posted ( and reposted ) your opinion enough in this thread. If you haven't convinced people yet I suspect that it's not going to happen.

Sorry it is facile in the extreme to take issue with the opinion you quote without dealing with All THAT AS PRECEDED IT.

have you read the thread. When you posted ,what point did you think you were making. Did it have a purpose.

Thanks for your opinion vis a vis my contribution. But if you had bothered to read the thread you will see .
A. I was the first to articulate a position away from the majority.
b. My posts are awesomely informative and have subsequently been adopted by many.
c. You have had nothing useful to say.
d your dislike of me as made you look a prat.

I do believe there is an ignore button, I normally think it is childish to use this but in your case it must surely be in your best interests

The new counterfeit morality (hat tip to the excellent Claire Fox of the Institute of Ideas) of the Mrs Grundys of the Guardian and other bien-pensant types doesn't seem to extend to other ex-cons in the field of light entertainment - Stephen Fry, Ricky Tomlinson, and Leslie Grantham among them. Apparently their offenses (just remind yourself of Grantham's crime) don't offend against Suzanne Moore's irrational standards. Nor do we hear demands to curtail the career of boxer Amir Khan, whose crazy driving caused life-changing injuries to a foundry worker in Bolton, and perhaps led to his early death.

Even allowing that Evans was correctly convicted, no one (and certainly not the tedious self-righteous bullies with their endless petitions) has made the slightest rational case for preventing him carrying on his trade, now that he is released from prison.

It's about time some in the Oldham Board room stopped listening to a few self-appointed wet nellies, and got on with it.

you miss the point. The people you list do not suggest they didn't do the crime they were convicted of. They have also served their punishment. I am entirely happy that Mr Evans takes up or resumes any career he may wish to if he just acknowledged what happened, agreed it was wrong and showed some remorse. He has done none of this and nor has he done anything to stop the appalling comments and hatred directed at the women.

you miss the point. The people you list do not suggest they didn't do the crime they were convicted of. They have also served their punishment. I am entirely happy that Mr Evans takes up or resumes any career he may wish to if he just acknowledged what happened, agreed it was wrong and showed some remorse. He has done none of this and nor has he done anything to stop the appalling comments and hatred directed at the women.

Ricky Tomlinson? I think not!

You are also assuming Evens is guilty.... I am expecting him to be vindicated by his appeal.

It is you that misses the point.

You are seeking to impose a weight on Evans that is imposed on no other convicted criminal. He disputes the verdict and has appealed, as is his right. It would be irrational for him to acknowledge fault in such circumstances.

And unless he is responsible for the "appalling comments and hatred directed at the women" It's not clear what he could reasonably be expected to do about it, if indeed the problem is real.

As Claire Fox rightly pointed out, this is just a nasty witch hunt.

I am entirely happy that Mr Evans takes up or resumes any career he may wish to if he just acknowledged what happened, agreed it was wrong and showed some remorse. He has done none of this and nor has he done anything to stop the appalling comments and hatred directed at the women.

IF Evans' version of events are true & he's had his life turned upside down by an opportunist (with previous for the same). Why would he acknowledge what he knows he didn't do?

Video statement :
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...nity-convicted-rapist-looks-way-football.html

Sorry it is facile in the extreme to take issue with the opinion you quote without dealing with All THAT AS PRECEDED IT.

have you read the thread. When you posted ,what point did you think you were making. Did it have a purpose.

Thanks for your opinion vis a vis my contribution. But if you had bothered to read the thread you will see .
A. I was the first to articulate a position away from the majority.
b. My posts are awesomely informative and have subsequently been adopted by many.
c. You have had nothing useful to say.
d your dislike of me as made you look a prat.

I do believe there is an ignore button, I normally think it is childish to use this but in your case it must surely be in your best interests

I don't think I have ever come across anybody so lacking in self awareness. :(

I am disappointed you are making the particular comparison but i accept that Mr Tomlinson still campaigns to have his conviction on what he considers an obscure law that was in his opinion used politically, quashed. So if your point is simply that a 'guilty' person does not accept his guilt then I concede that point. As I do here actually. I just didn't think that was the point you were making. But that doesn't change the fact that Mr Evans thought it ok to have sex with someone that drunk. Maybe if he had thought about what he was about to do and just kept his d*** in his trousers then no one, not even an opportunist would have been able to take this as far as it has gone. And not even a successful appeal will change the lack of moral judgement he displayed at that moment in the hotel room.

And that is a moral judgement I am allowed to make for myself!

advertisement

Back