advertisement

Cartridge and phono stage chit-chat

OK, well your comment is noted, however do I find it a little surprising as the standalone unit sounds pretty good from cold. What was the rest of the system you heard it in?

Good compared to what though ? A ps30 is real level entry performance, i took one in part ex 6 months ago.

Try and loan a mastergroove. You will be shocked when you realise whats truly possible from your turntable.

Good compared to what though ? A ps30 is real level entry performance, i took one in part ex 6 months ago.

Try and loan a mastergroove. You will be shocked when you realise whats truly possible from your turntable.

The problem is I'm stuck in Glasgow, hardly a Mecca for high-end phono stage dealers. Where am I going to get a mastergroove from, or any other of your suggestions? Plus, how much do these things cost? I'm not going over £3k.

hold on james you started this today and you have got this home now :D did not waste time in getting this not like you

I agree with the Jackal the phono stage makes an enormous difference. Whilst mine is a lowly Brinkmann that costs only circa £2K (its actually as good as some £4K phono stages) the benefits are enormous. Oh and it doesn't even have adjustable loading. My cart costs almost double the price!

Cheers,

DV

I had several Benz Ebony LPs. Have had the ...vdH colibri, Airtight PC-3 and Shelter Harmony since, all give much more sonic information than the Benz.

Have just got hold of an iPhono.
I'm using NAS Dais, mörch dp 8 and lyra Delos.

This phono stage is so very good, I have a hard time believing it.
And the price tag is hard to believe considering it's performance.

I'm about to borrow a Moon 310 LP phono preamp from a dealer for evaluation....

3. Any views on Moon phono stage? Rather like Naim gear, it's upgradeable with separate power supply (at £1200 if memory serves).
I recently tried that, without extra psu, along with a P75 mk3, Superline and Pure Audio Vinyl. Cartridge was XX2 mk2.

The Moon fell somewhere between the P75 and the other two. I found it to be very detailed but also very polite. The P75 was a bit more fun despite lacking the resolution. I could neverthless have lived with the Moon, had I not shortly thereafter had both the Vinyl and the Superline at home for a week.

The Moon I tried was a well run in demo unit but it would have needed to make a major leep with the added psu to have even got close to the Superline & Vinyl.

Ultimately the best of the bunch was the Pure Audio. It seemed more coherent round the midrange than the Superline (powered off 52).

I purchased the Pure Audio Vinyl.

Steve

I had several Benz Ebony LPs. Have had the ...vdH colibri, Airtight PC-3 and Shelter Harmony since, all give much more sonic information than the Benz.

Well, good for you. Why have several?

Anyway, I really like the Benz, and it is staying!

Well, good for you. Why have several?

Anyway, I really like the Benz, and it is staying!

If you like it then fine.
I bought the first one some years ago. It eventually gave up the ghost after a lot of use. I then had two and rotated them between re-tips.

Bub,

this is a bit of a left of center suggestion, but I see you contemplating a two box phono pre, which, with your pre amp (which is also a two box affair), would leave you with four boxes.

IIRC, at some point you were also looking around for a replacement for your 52, so have you considered "just" getting a really good pre amp with a top class phono stage built in? KISS and all that, less boxes to worry about and a clean, straightforward setup, with your active ATCs. This might just do the trick, and it would probably be the last pre amp you would ever buy (sort of the pre amp equivalent of your ATCs).

Anyway, just a thought.

Cheers,
Samuel.

advertisement

Back