advertisement

What's all the aggression about in the audio room?

Lol Spacey, if roles were swapped we could've had:
"It spins 1000% faster than old legacy tables." =)

And 1000% more accurate with way way less distortion, In fact to quote from the HDD forum.

From the big man himself:

Audiotec have an 18" Sub and that would be my choice too.

More rubbish and more reckless claims accompany subs than ordinary audio and I don't think many even worked till we introduced ours. It's very difficult to design one and know if it works when you're using passives as the mains, because their bass is time related and masks the Sub. Bass sounds louder if it lasts longer. Think about it.

Ash

LOL

Darryl,

Was it worth the money compared with the competition and the decks it replaced IYO?

Why do you reckon so many audiophiles have relinquished it in favour of now vintage decks?

In case your wondering, my point did not relate to the LP12 as indicated in my post above but the point you made in your post about the generic approach to hifi gear as sold by the retailers.

well examples would be - i thought the roksan sounded vastly superior but being a young company roksan had some teething problems like power supplies failing but they offered good support for this as did linn with their own occasionally dodgy power supplies.

i also liked the gyro better than the linn....more attractive and better finish but again linn kept on improving their product even if it did get expensive.

i liked the pink triangle better too but they never had the build quality of linn.

the goldmund studio blew the linn out of the water but it was a lot more money....

the best made deck back then was probably the audio labor konstant
which was another deck that sounded vastly better than the linn.

but again dealers were put off taking them on....

the audio labor became the brinkmann......

was the linn worth it's money? yes if there was no competition.....but there was....the politics of the industry was to pressure the dealer ships a bit to much in all fairness, for that i can never forgive linn......even if they do make good gear they didn't play fair at all......

well examples would be - i thought the roksan sounded vastly superior but being a young company roksan had some teething problems like power supplies failing but they offered good support for this as did linn with their own occasionally dodgy power supplies.

i also liked the gyro better than the linn....more attractive and better finish but again linn kept on improving their product even if it did get expensive.

i liked the pink triangle better too but they never had the build quality of linn.

the goldmund studio blew the linn out of the water but it was a lot more money....

the best made deck back then was probably the audio labor konstant
which was another deck that sounded vastly better than the linn.

but again dealers were put off taking them on....

the audio labor became the brinkmann......

Darryl,

I know it is subjective and will probaly cause a riot :p but if you were to make a list of your top 10 turntables, in preference, to include the vintage decks what would they be.

Maybe a £5K limit so we can dream, realistically?

The only such list I have ever seen was in an 80s Japanese mag, I remember the number 1.

And to respond to my proud novice standing I would just like to say, with regard to most things really, the more I learn the more I realise how little I know.

in no order

roksan tms
pink triangle anniversary
audio labor konstant
brinkmann dd
goldmund studio
strathclyde transcriptor developments 305 with ac motor not the d with the dc motor.
technics sl1000 in original technics obsidian plinth
kyocera dd with ceramic platter
onkyo dd with copper platter
lp12 in rosewood with mission mechkanik and kiseki cart......

some of these may not be available for that £5000 price though....some a lot less.

there are others though.

but all these decks flick my switches when set up well.

Greg, does anybody buy those monstrous watches? ;)
Seriously though, Rolex are not in essence superior to Omega, but they've done a better job of brand management. There are parallels to linn in some ways.

What I'm saying is that some people pay what you consider to be over the odds for an LP12, whilst some people pay what I consider to be over the odds for a Rolex Sub. Neither of us should lose much sleep over their profligacy though :)

Darryl,The only such list I have ever seen was in an 80s Japanese mag, I remeber the number 1, that did not include the vintage decks that the japanese now so seem to covet and which I accept are dependent on the arm.

That article was available online at one time. It made interesting reading. The decks that came in at number 1 if I recall were the EMT (can't remember the model) and the Pioneer P3. The other decks were high end DD's from Sony Yamaha, Kenwood etc. But they also had an LP12. It was pre-cirkus, valhalla power supply and Ittok arm. It was rated as a very good TT by the Japanese reviewers.

Do you think people who suffer from lack of food or water, or what we call 'basic human standards' would think any of this is anything but a material obsession?

Found this article:

In 1980 at the peak of all things analogue, when the Japanese major manufactuers were still trying to come up with the perfect statement product to take on the rest of the world, Stereo Sound Magazine journalists Fuyuki Segawa and Keizo Yamanaka reviewed the best of the best with honours...

And the finest turntables in the world were

1st = EMT 930st (German Idler Drive)
1st = Pioneer Exclusive P3 (Japanese Direct Drive)

2nd = Sony PS-X9 (Japanese Direct Drive)
2nd = Micro RX/RY-5000 (Japanese Belt Drive)

3rd = Linn Sondek LP-12 (British Belt Drive)
3rd = Pioneer Exclusive P10 (Japanese Direct Drive)
3rd = Micro RX-3000 (Japanese Belt Drive)
3rd = Marantz TT-1000L ( US / Japanese Direct Drive)
3rd = Yamaha PX-1 (Japanese Direct Drive)
3rd = Thorens TD-126 mkIIIC (Swiss / German Belt Drive)
3rd = Technics SP-10mkII (Japanese Direct Drive)
3rd = Luxman PD-555 (Japanese Direct Drive)
3rd = Kenwood L-07D (Japanese Direct Drive)

Do you think people who suffer from lack of food or water, or what we call 'basic human standards' would think any of this is anything but a material obsession?
Worse still is the amount of time decent people spend writing on a forum when they could make a difference :)

Fugly
EMT.jpg

I think the definition of a hifi nerd is anybody who could seriously contemplate owning one of those... ;)

advertisement

Back