advertisement

What's all the aggression about in the audio room?

How is it arrogant?

And if colouring the recording process is arrogant, how is 'hifi' that colours the reproduction anything less than hubristic?

Paul

It is IMO arrogant for a recording engineer to consider both the artist and the music as merely a 'canvas' for their art. A good engineer should be a broker for the artists they are recording; their art - and I don't deny it's an art - is to bring out the best in that artist and the piece of music.

Hi-fi that colours the reproduction doesn't deserve the term 'hi-fi'. That doesn't stop people from selecting products that colour the reproduction on the grounds of personal preference. And I would never be so, well, Stalin as to enforce people to listen to something they didn't like just because it was more honest to the original recording.

Is it not the job of "tonmeisters" and engineers to not choke on the perceived arrogance of statements, we would be without alot of great music if they did.

Of statements in general, no. Of statements appertaining to their profession, why not?

I frequently choke on the hubristic, arrogant and egotistical statements made by my fellow reviewers. And they probably choke on mine.

WRT new drive units -- probably a good thing. Studios don't like their main work monitors changing sound. You need to re EQ the room for starters. Studio monitors are about reliability with predictable and clean performance. I am sure it will be available as a driver upgrade option for new customers of 50-150s, however and will get snapped up by the few domestic customers of these speakers.

It is IMO arrogant for a recording engineer to consider both the artist and the music as merely a 'canvas' for their art. A good engineer should be a broker for the artists they are recording; their art - and I don't deny it's an art - is to bring out the best in that artist and the piece of music.

Hi-fi that colours the reproduction doesn't deserve the term 'hi-fi'. That doesn't stop people from selecting products that colour the reproduction on the grounds of personal preference. And I would never be so, well, Stalin as to enforce people to listen to something they didn't like just because it was more honest to the original recording.

Alan, isn't this subjective?

Don't performers use certain producers because they want a certain sound a certain feel?

Dangermouse produced the Black Keys on just one of their albums are you suggesting that the difference in the sound from their other albums reflects a lack of "honesty"?

Alan-Philip Guston (painter) fell out with a long term friend Morton Feldman (writer) and painted about his upset, the painting is called "to MF" as Feldman hated his new figurative work...they are hung in the Tate and are mightily respected peices of painting. A peice of Art / music it could be argued is never finished and its important to recognize the pause.

Not that i know of, but the new HF unit is now being fitted to the SCM200 & 300's :)

Point taken Fox.

I am also aware that stewartwen was considering commissioning 100 active speakers from ATC with audax tweeters but I still don't understand why the new tweeters haven't gotten down to the 50 and 100 actives yet.

Teddy Ray said:
I view the recording process as creative. It is like painting, to use a bad analogy. mics, eqs, consoles, reverbs...these are all like colors or paintbrushes, with the songs being the canvas. the engineer/producer the artist.

I know some exceptionally highly regarded tonmeisters and engineers who would choke on the arrogance of such a statement.

I haven't read everything up to this point so I may be reading out of context, but I should think it depends on the area the engineer works in.

As someone who has done a bit of engineering, producing and playing it doesn't seem an incorrect statement. Recorded music is a shared art among all the participants including the engineer. There are a lot of decisions the engineer makes about the final sound that the producer or musicians don't dictate. That said a lot of those jobs are being done by the same person these days since computer recording puts such power easily in ones hands.

I'm sure some sound engineers would consider their job more technical than artistic though. Someone who sets up speaker arrays for live concerts probably uses science 99% to dictate what they do. Someone mixing a new album on the other hand makes a lot of creative decisions.

Whats all the aggression about in the audio room ATM?

So much hate, so much angst ..... far too many soap boxes!

To answer Spacey's question directly there are three distinct parties at play and in conflict here. I'll try my best to identify them without being judgemental:

Group A:

Technically sophisticated long time audiophiles who know foo when the hear it. Some of these individuals are Alpha males type personalities and won't let any foo go unchallenged.

Group B:

Audiophiles who are trying to make a living from their favourite hobby. Tough spot to be in when the hobby as we know it is rapidly changing. Smart guys who have the technical attributes of Group A but by necessity some have had to develop what some may call unsavoury marketing skills.

Group C:

Beta males. Members of neither of the above groups. Usually hanging around the periphery of the action making completely nonsensical statements while never really comprehending what's going on. Usually buy all kinds of foo.

Your Pal

Louballoo

Point taken. I was just making the point that there comes a point, presumably, where advancements become increasingly marginal until someone attempts to do something completely different which isn't necessarily better.

For example, ( opens can of worms ) = cd "replacing" vinyl.

Absolutely! A closer and less worm-canny example could be something like NXT and how it didn't prove to be the end of loudspeakers as we know them.

There are still several nuts to crack (the distortion inherent in loudspeakers, for example, or ways to deliver big speaker headroom and bandwidth from a smaller box without undermining transparency, or even making a room EQ system that doesn't do the musical equivalent of putting playing cards in the spokes of your bike wheel or look like the Corleone family has gone to the mattresses again), and some of these could seriously transform home audio for the better.

I guess I'm in group B as I have turned my hobby in to a profession but I have no marketing skills at all ;)

advertisement

Back