advertisement

Rolleiflex

Looking at the slide show, it looks more like a 3.5F to me (it has a meter). Check the serial number on one of the Rolleiflex sites. It should take BAY 2 accessories btw.

I would think it would be worth £700-ish (haven't checked prices recently) in good nick - so definitely worth fixing it there's a problem. The main thing is that the lenses (especially the taking lens) are OK - almost everything else can be fixed.

The embedded pictures are rather large, but it looks like you are threading the film correctly. If the film has been through the camera once, it may not be correctly re-spooled (you can't just run it backwards), and that might cause a problem. When loading, you shouldn't wind it on any further than just enough to thread the take up spool before shutting the back and letting the Automat mechanism do its stuff.

Whoops, didn't realise the the pics were that *big*
You're right, I didn't reference it correctly, I thought 3,5F was refering to the aperture !
The serial number is 2277112

He paid £96 for it in 74, about a 2-3 weeks wages probably.

I want to see if I can get any decent photos from it, but first I need to work out how to load the film !

Success !
I used another roll of film, one I hadn't re-wound on to the spool. It has out of date Ilford XP2 in it now. I'll try it out tomorrow.

Are there any reasonably priced places I can send the exposed film to get developed ? I used to develop 35mm b&w quite successfully when I was at uni, but I haven't got the room or time to mess with doing it myself anymore.

Thanks for your help Patrick & everyone!

Success !
I used another roll of film, one I hadn't re-wound on to the spool. It has out of date Ilford XP2 in it now. I'll try it out tomorrow.

Are there any reasonably priced places I can send the exposed film to get developed ? I used to develop 35mm b&w quite successfully when I was at uni, but I haven't got the room or time to mess with doing it myself anymore.

Thanks for your help Patrick & everyone!

Send it to Genie Imaging www.photos2you.co.uk

They have a special offer on at the mo for developing and scanning 120 C41 film which I think is what you need with XP2. They do real silver B&W too but charge a bit more.

Hi Firestorm,

I have a 3.5F too, it is capable of taking fantastic pictures. The meter system works well and it will be an absolute pleasure to use.

Congratulations on your camera.

H

Cliff, I'll try Genie imaging, their special offers seems to have expired though.

Haddock et al, I'll be running a couple of rolls off to see how I get on. I've compared the meter on the 3.5F, its nice to use and seems quite accurate if I treat it like a centre weighted meter. I compared it with my D300 (ex Cliff) and it was spot on. I just need to manually compensate for back lit subjects etc, which I tend to do anyway, even with my P&S.

The D300 with my the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 weighs a little more than the 3.5F in it's case.

Regards
fs

I take my rollei with me as a lightweight camera option. I think it is by far the lightest camera I use.

update
I've finished the first roll and have just loaded the 2nd roll successfully, so fingers crossed.

I've found Genie, its more or less en route on my daily commute, so quite convenient. I found a couple of exposed 120 films, I think they were taken 7-10 years ago, we'll see.

You owe it to your Grandad to take lots of nice photos with it.

Yes, I'm envious of some of the talent here ;-) I'll keep trying.

Cliff,
I asked them if they wanted payment immediately, but they said it was ok to pay via their website. So thats what I've done. Do you get them to scan your negs as well ?

I've dug out some of my older 120 negs that I took with a M7II, the thing that really stood out for me are the tones and tonal gaduation, even from small prints. Lets see how what I get from the Rolleiflex.

Regards
fs

Cliff,
I asked them if they wanted payment immediately, but they said it was ok to pay via their website. So thats what I've done. Do you get them to scan your negs as well ?

No, I use a Coolscan 9000 and I develop my own B&W negs. When I use Colour I get them to process only for £1.99 a roll.

Cheers
Cliff

I've got my films back - two on kodak porta 160NC and one on XPS2 from the Rolleiflex.

I used out of date film, the XPS2 had expired in 2004. The results are not what I expected. I ran similarly aged 35mm XPS2 and it was fine, the 120 seems to have lost a lot of tonal graduation, sort of like a lith effect. The porta was taken with my M7 II and has survived well, even though it was exposed 6 years ago.

I'll need to put some fresh film through it and try again. I was thinking of getting some Neopan 400CN, any comments ? I've got my old 35mm darkroom gear in the loft still, although if I do take up it up again, it'll just be for b&w film developing and then scan it myself. I used to spend hours in the photography club's darkroom and stumble out of there in the wee hours, can't and won't do that anymore though.
fs

I was thinking of getting some Neopan 400CN, any comments ? I've got my old 35mm darkroom gear in the loft still, although if I do take up it up again, it'll just be for b&w film developing and then scan it myself.

Neopan 400CN is a C41 process film - ie it is a B&W film that you process the same way as Kodak Gold colour film

If you want a 120 B&W film to home process, the best bet is Kodak Tr-X which you can get from places like Jacobs on New Oxford Street or Calumet by Euston Station or online at various places. Tri-X is easy to develop in XTOL (also by Kodak) at 1:1 mix with water for 7.25 minutes at normal room temp.

I do have a box of 100 rolls of Neopan 400 - the real stuff - if you want some. But you can't get it any more in the shops.

Hi Cliff,
I use the C41 B&W for reasons of convenience and cost. I used to use Neopan 400 in 35 and 120mm format. Shame its not available anymore. I wouldn't mind using a couple of rolls for old times sake, only once I've sorted out the camera and my processing technique, don't want to waste it.
Cheers

Ilford XP2, its a c41 b&w. Exp 2002.
Funny thing is I have 35mm and 120mm versions with the same exp date. The 35mm is fine, the 120mm isn't. Same storage conditions. Dry, in the dark, room temp. in a sealed container.

Cliff would like to know your opinions on b&w films. In particular Kodak TMAX-100 b&w, Fuji Neopan ACROS 100 and Ilford Pan 50. I used to use something called id11, although I never got it to work well with the Ilford 50, too contrasty. It worked well with the Neopan 400 I seem to remember.
Cheers

advertisement

Back