advertisement

Rolleiflex

firestorm

pfm Member
I’ve got hold of a Rolleiflex 3.5C. Its seems in decent condition, but I’m having a hard time getting it loaded with film. So far I’ve got through my 3rd roll of 120. This is the sequence I’ve been using.

1. Open the camera up
  2. Fit new roll of film in lower chamber
  3. Pull out film and put the film “tongue” in the spool of the upper chamber
  4. Tension film
  5. Push down on take up spool
  6. Wind handle clockwise till I see the arrows on the film leader
  7. Continue till the arrows reach the film aperture
  8. Close film back
  9. Continue to wind handle to advance film.

Problem is it doesn’t advance the film counter and I can continue winding till the whole roll of film is wound on to the take up spool, without taking a shot.

Shutter, aperture, focus and metering seem to work ok.

Can anyone explain to me what I’m doing wrong ?

Thanks
fs

You should have two red dots visible with the back open. Wind the film until the start arrow lines up with the red dots, then close the back and wind until it stops at frame one. If it doesn't stop, then the winder mechanism is faulty and needs repair.

Hi Bob,
Hmm, no red dots that I can see. I can get it to register if I push down on the take up spool and then wind the handle, but I don't think they intended it to work that way.

From another Rollei thread, Brian Mickleboro seems to be a good person to send it to.

I'll post some photos later.

Cheers
fs

Bob,
thanks for that, I had found the 3 page quick guide, but this explains a lot more.

The construction general construction is great. I know the camera is over forty years old, will a repair last or will I'll be looking at other mechanical failures in the near future ? I know its a length of string type question I suppose an analogy would be is it worth repairing my 40 year old car .....

Thanks
fs

They're mechanically very simple, no reason why a decent repairman like Brian Mickleboro can't make a repair that will outlive you :)

Plus, of course, Rolleis have appreciated in value a lot, and continue to do so, so even factoring in the cost of a service you will probably make money out of it if you decide to sell it at some point in the future.

My Rollei's staying with me though...

I just have the 5 Rolleis at the moment ...

AFAIK a 3.5C is an 'Automat'. Therefore to load the film you insert the new spool in the bottom, feed the film between the first two rollers and over the two at the top and bottom of the gate, feed the leader onto the empty top spool until it's secure, close back and wind on until the winder stops winding, and wind back until it stops. The film counter should say 1 and you're ready to shoot. After each shot, you wind on until the lever stops and back until it stops and you're ready for the next shot. At the end of the film the winder will just keep on going until the film is all wound onto the top spool.

Rolleiflex Ts and Rolleicords are different and have a manual loading mechanism which requires red dots and the like.

They are beautifully made and a repair and service should last and be worth it. I bought one which wound all the way through and Brian adjusted it to detect the backing paper correctly.

Indeed, and get a maxwell screen for it and you are sorted. Well, mine is waiting for a repair at the moment, but apart from that, i'd be sorted.

Wow, looks like I have found the Rollei appreciation society ;-)

It belonged to my grandad, he passed away last summer. We found over 300 cameras. Most were 35mm P&S, from the 80-90s. He couldn't resist buying them from charity shops and alike. We found 3 Rollei, a couple of Nikons, a F and something called a Nikkormat, Contax a plenty, a handful of Russian 35mm and 120, a couple of screwmount Leicas, loads of browniw type cameras, about a dozen folders, a Fujica Super 8 camera, looks the business.

I'll give Brian a call and see what it'll cost to get it going again.

Photos soon ...

Before you call Brian follow my instructions above. Your description of how you are loading the film doesn't sound correct.

A Nikkormat is a baby Nikon - takes Nikon lenses.

Heh Firestorm

I hope youre not giving up on Nikon ;-)

Seriously though, when I tried MF for the first time (3 years ago IIRC) these guys were very helpful especially given that I was a 35mm luddite from 1981 - 2005

Hi Cliff,
No I haven't given up on the Nikon - I've used it quite extensively recently, love the results from the 70-200, but I find the short end too long. Have found the limitations of the Sigma 18-50 - chromatic fringing is high at 2.8 and it isn't too clever when shooting with a backlit background, contrast goes to pot. Its fine when stopped down to f4 or when not back lit. I guess the lens distortion removal only works on Nikon lenses !

I find I use the 18-50mm most. I wonder if the Nikon is better in this respect?

Any how, back to the Rollei.

Patrick,
I'm not sure if the camera or the film is at fault, I've reloaded the film as per your instructions and found that the film gets caught at the first rollers.

Any how, the pics show what I mean.

advertisement

Back