advertisement

Rolleiflex

Water neutralises the developer by diluting it to the point where it is no longer effective. You then rinse it away with a second wash. No development time is that critical; not even colour. Just don't leave it sat for ages before you put the fixer in.

I think there is a bit more to it than this. If you use full strngth developer and a short development time then the time required to stop can be significant. Also if you don't succesfully remove the developer before hitting the fixer it will reduce the amount of times you can re-use the fixer - frankly since it costs very little, I am happy to spend the extra bit for the peace of mind.

more on this on a flickr group here

I never use stop bath except when I'm printing. A tank of fresh water immediately after pouring out the developer, 30 inversions, pour it out, repeat. Never had any problems at all, with exposure or with reusing fixer.

I think there is a bit more to it than this. If you use full strngth developer and a short development time then the time required to stop can be significant. Also if you don't succesfully remove the developer before hitting the fixer it will reduce the amount of times you can re-use the fixer - frankly since it costs very little, I am happy to spend the extra bit for the peace of mind.

more on this on a flickr group here

I don't buy it. I've never had any problems either and I can't see how stop in the fixer is any better.

I use water to rinse after development - about one minute of inversion - and then fix. There is indeed a small risk of a marginal increase in development, but I want to avoid the strongly acidic smell of stop bath, and the fumes from the concentrate.

After fix, when I am using pyrogallol (my main developer), I put the negatives in a bath of the used developer for 2-5 minutes in order to increase the stain. This helps to manage both local contrast and highlights in printing from the negative.

Cliff, thanks for the list. I've got everything apart from the changing bag. You have a 1sqm one ? Must be like a tent ;-)

I've got an old east German enlarger in the loft too.

Still waiting for an order of TRI-X and Kodak 160VC, my favourite colour film on its way.

My changing bag has arrived his morning and I've got fresh chems from Silverprint.

I've accumulated about 15 rolls of exposed 120 and a few 35mm. I'll have a crack at developing a couple tonight hopefully.

advertisement

Back