advertisement

Zyx or Ortofon

... Or buy second hand to start with....that has to be sensible.You can have a 'pricey' system that doesn't really cost very much in the long term, if you buy well.Done that way, it is a lot cheaper than many hobbies. Well, that is what I tell myself.It might even be true.

I'd go along with that. Buy used at market price and let inflation put a depreciation floor under your kit. Has always worked well for Naim stuff, of course, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't apply universally.

When you're at the higher end of audio life, this is especially relevant. Mind you, I s'pose SOMEBODY has to pay near full price initially for you to benefit. This applies to most things, not just hifi, but that 20% VAT is an immediate depreciation factor, as it's the least relevant to the intrinsic value of the item.

Glad to hear the MFA is providing value for money and the long term aspect to the ownership of such items but can't help thinking that the silver options are pandering to the notion of audio jewellery. Also worth noting is the historical perspective, S&B prices appear to have risen more in line with what they think the market will bear rather than anything else over the last decade, or so it seems to me.

(Yes that's the sound of envy, can't see me ever being able to afford that kind of value for money;))

advertisement

Back