advertisement

ZYX Cartridge Opinions

A lovely cartridge. Likes higher input resistance rhan I expected, 350 ohm sounds good, but maybe even higher will be optimum. Excellent value at the slightly discounted price from Sorasound.

Its disadvantage is that it came ar the same time as Transfiguration Axia S...which was slightly used and greatly discounted. That cartridge is REALLY interesting - dreamy and spooky...and I usually don't use that language when describing audio equipment.

Edit: I am not used to new cartridges...as the midbass came in, 250 ohm seems really right. Very nice cartridge with a bit of warmth.

Last edited:
A lovely cartridge. Likes higher input resistance rhan I expected, 350 ohm sounds good, but maybe even higher will be optimum. Excellent value at the slightly discounted price from Sorasound.

Its disadvantage is that it came ar the same time as Transfiguration Axia S...which was slightly used and greatly discounted. That cartridge is REALLY interesting - dreamy and spooky...and I usually don't use that language when describing audio equipment.

Edit: I am not used to new cartridges...as the midbass came in, 250 ohm seems really right. Very nice cartridge with a bit of warmth.
I don t have experience with zyx but i m really interested in 50 or 100. It would be interesting to compare the first with apheta 3 and the latter with dynavector xx

The cart IS special. I can't put my finger on it, but there is specifity to the stereo image that is quite exciting.

I now have Transfiguration Axia S and will soon have Lyra Argo for comparison. Will post expressions...though all of the above are excellent (inluding Lyra from others' experience..

ZYX excells at stereo imaging, per it's CV. Transfiguration is magical...cant explain it yet

I did manage to find a near mint Lyra Argo which is making its way from Italy. I look forward to comparing it to the Axia and the ZYX!

In the US, you seem to be able to get it directly from the distributor (Sorasound) for 30% off list price.

I run a Zyx Fuji at the moment it’s a super cartridge when it comes to the end of its life I’ll try the Ultimate 100 which I believe is also very good.

Maybe so...different from other good carts I have...and this is the "cheapest" one in the lineup. Wasn't cheap for me ($650), but a great deal.

Well if it was in excellent condition then that is cheap compared to what others seem to sell for.

I envy your cart collection!!

Wasn't cheap for me ($650), but a great deal.

Cheap as chips, Dimitry.:) If the Axia superseded the Aria (and you've got the S version like the Phoenix), that's a pretty good deal if it's low mileage and looked after. With Koetsus, Lyras, Benzes etc. one can say 'enjoy the sonic flavour' but you'd be hard pressed to say that if the Axia is anything like the Proteus, or indeed, the Orpheus before it.

Dimitry (or anyone else), I am after a new cart.

There are not many bargains to be had, here in NZ, but there is a 'new' (perhaps better described as NOS, given its likely age) ZYX R50 mk1 available for a decent price. Has anyone heard this? It would be going on an Ittok?LP12.

Alternatively (and apologies, Dimitry, for going off thread). In NZ, we get stung with both import duty and GST (VAT) on both the item and the shipping, even on used goods. This means that bargains on ebay become anything but. However, my son is in the UK at the moment, visiting the relatives, returning in a couple of weeks. This presents a (cough) opportunity. I was after the Dynavector XX2 mk II in the classifieds (listed with the Michell Gorbe), but the seller is not replying to PMs; perhaps an understandable change of heart?

Can anyone recommend a trustworthy/reputable EU-based seller of used cartridges? I was looking to splash 600-800 pounds on something I can retip/rebuild in the future. As above, it's for an LP12/Ittok going into a P75 MkIII.

I'd prefer a UK based seller, if possible, given the purchasing advantage offered by your puny British Pounds. I'm not really laughing , as my NHS pension is still in the UK, so I've got some serious saving to do over the next 15 years or I'll be living on cat food, come retirement age. :(

Sean

Dimitry (or anyone else), I am after a new cart.

There are not many bargains to be had, here in NZ, but there is a 'new' (perhaps better described as NOS, given its likely age) ZYX R50 mk1 available for a decent price. Has anyone heard this? It would be going on an Ittok?LP12.

Alternatively (and apologies, Dimitry, for going off thread). In NZ, we get stung with both import duty and GST (VAT) on both the item and the shipping, even on used goods. This means that bargains on ebay become anything but. However, my son is in the UK at the moment, visiting the relatives, returning in a couple of weeks. This presents a (cough) opportunity. I was after the Dynavector XX2 mk II in the classifieds (listed with the Michell Gorbe), but the seller is not replying to PMs; perhaps an understandable change of heart?

Can anyone recommend a trustworthy/reputable EU-based seller of used cartridges? I was looking to splash 600-800 pounds on something I can retip/rebuild in the future. As above, it's for an LP12/Ittok going into a P75 MkIII.

I'd prefer a UK based seller, if possible, given the purchasing advantage offered by your puny British Pounds. I'm not really laughing , as my NHS pension is still in the UK, so I've got some serious saving to do over the next 15 years or I'll be living on cat food, come retirement age. :(

Sean
I wouldn't consider myself a real expert, though I do have a few cartridges now. I like R50/3 that I have, would expect mk1 to be similar. The LO version is 0.24mv, so will need clean gain. Retailed at $1k, so dont overpay.

Transfiguration is really special...try to find open box/demo from a reputable seller.

advertisement

Back