advertisement

ZYX Cartridge Opinions

Thanks for the tip re the r50 and the transfiguration.

It's the reputable (used) seller I'm struggling with, especially when buying from the other side of the world. Was looking in hifi for sale but remembered that the last thing I bought off there, was a NAT 2 that turned out to be a NAT 3.

I had an R50 and an R100, I was disappointed with their tracking performance on highly dynamic music, for instance 45 rpm jazz reissues. One reissue that really stood out was the John Coltrane/Kenny Burrell 45 rpm reissue from Analogue Productions.

I had an R50 and an R100, I was disappointed with their tracking performance on highly dynamic music, for instance 45 rpm jazz reissues. One reissue that really stood out was the John Coltrane/Kenny Burrell 45 rpm reissue from Analogue Productions.
I have opposite experience , I also owned R50 and R100 , both tracked more than satisfactory IME

Check the math for your tonearm and ZYX cartridge. ZYX offer extra mass for every cartridge they make, so there should be no tonearm/cartridge compliance issues at all. This affects the trackability of the cartridge and tonearm. Remember they should be considered as one. The extra mass can only be fitted when the cartridge is ordered from new. Any possibility of mistracking can be avoided if you buy from a reputable source. If the selling source doesn't ask what tonearm you have and can confirm that the compliance will be OK with your tonearm, then walk away. The compliance needs to be between 8Hz and 12Hz. I normally try to get between 9Hz and 11Hz.

By all means, contact me if you are considering a ZYX cartridge and I will confirm if it will be suitable for your tonearm, with or without the extra mass.

I have the Zyx Fuji with added mass added.I have no issues with tracking and also have vinyl album mentioned above.

ZYX offer extra mass for every cartridge they make, so there should be no tonearm/cartridge compliance issues at all. This affects the trackability of the cartridge and tonearm.

This is vital. Both the ZYX catridges that I use (Ultimate 100H and Airy 2) require the extra mass, and also benefit from careful calibration of VTF. I have no problem with tracking 45rpm releases, or with tracks that have a very wide dynamic range.

s my NHS pension is still in the UK, so I've got some serious saving to do over the next 15 years or I'll be living on cat food, come retirement age. :(

That would be a catastrophe, Sean. Despite having a Tiktok on my LP12 in 1983, I've no idea of eff. mass, which is at least useful in matching coils to arms. Nor do I know where the LV!! stands among today's tonearms. Obv. they were synergistic with Linn cart's, and possibly Dv too (as many LP12 owners gravitated to Dv. As G.T. said, the arm and cart. really must be considered as an entity to achieve maximum performance.

Re. output, some (mainly Japanese) cart's quote the American standard of 3.5 cms/sec (roughly), whereas the European cart's tend to use the 5cms/sec calculation, which shows as higher. For example, Koetsu's 2 mV would translate to 2.92 mV at 5cms/sec. (X 1.46) This may well only become a problem if your ph./stage is either lacking in gain or has a poor overload facility.

There are lots of decent m/c cart's out there, each with subtle (?) differences in tonal presentation. Ortofon comes to mind, as well as Benz (warmer). Transfig. is no more, unfortunately. Personally, if exch. rates and 'personal importing' can allow financial latitude, I'd buy new or used with gold-plated provenance (ex dem.?) Investigate the top Hana which is highly regarded as good v.f.m., but I wouldn't like to comment of compliance suitability. Lyra would prob. be okay (very flexible cart's) if you like it a wee bit up-front, depending on your other kit.

Check the math for your tonearm and ZYX cartridge. ZYX offer extra mass for every cartridge they make, so there should be no tonearm/cartridge compliance issues at all. This affects the trackability of the cartridge and tonearm. Remember they should be considered as one. The extra mass can only be fitted when the cartridge is ordered from new. Any possibility of mistracking can be avoided if you buy from a reputable source. If the selling source doesn't ask what tonearm you have and can confirm that the compliance will be OK with your tonearm, then walk away. The compliance needs to be between 8Hz and 12Hz. I normally try to get between 9Hz and 11Hz.

By all means, contact me if you are considering a ZYX cartridge and I will confirm if it will be suitable for your tonearm, with or without the extra mass.

I had a Nottingham Ace Space arm and the other was a Graham 2.2. I bought them from the US distributor Sora Sound.

I now have a table that allows for very fast cart/headshell changes, so I have been building up a representative low-cost MC collection.

I now have about 10 cartridges from the great lines: AT, Ortofon, Benz, Hana, Dynavector, Denon, Koetsu as well as storied Hifi companies - Yamaha and Pioneer. Most of these have been carefully purchased as lightly used for a few hundred dollars or less, with the exception of the vintage Koetsu Rosewood ($1k).

Should I round out my collection with the ZYX R50 Bloom III, their lowest priced offering, but certainly not cheap at about a thousand dollars. An alternative would be to seek a Clearaudio MC, which my collection also lacks.

My goal is not to get "best cartridge" but rather be able to appreciate the differences between the great cartridge designs, past and present.

I'm totally agree with The BigleBOWSKI . Hard to beat a ZYX . I've got many old reference cartridge but after many years , I 've purchased again a New one ZYX . The low priced Zyx are a really bargain . You have to spend even four times the price of a zyx to get something better .

I now had the pleasure to try a slightly used Lyra Argo and find it excellent. In a well damped arm (Sony Biotracer) and loaded at 120 ohm it is exceedingly neutral, with maybe just a trace of warmth in the midrange. Maybe a bit forward, but in a non-fatiguing way.

Worthy competition to ZYX and alternative to the Transfiguration. Quite sensitive to loading - 100, 150 and final 120ohm are quite audible.

advertisement

Back