advertisement

Ziggy Stardust's 40th

Tony L

Administrator
Shiny new plaque, shiny new vinyl & DVD package. It's an album long overdue a decent digital master, so lets hope they do it right and keep further away from the compressor / limiter than is currently fashionable (the current best digital copies are the original German and Japanese pressed RCA issues from the dawn of CD, a little bright, but not squashed to hell). I'd argue Bowie needs a full RCA back catalogue box set, all properly remastered.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Been on the Pre-order list for a while now. Tull are releasing Thick as a Brick II next month also or so I believe.

I remember Heddon Street when it still looked like it did on the cover. I don't know how I found out the location, but I did, and being so central it was sort of right there, walking past the bottom of Heddon Street all the time. I haven't been to look for years, but from the video it looks very different now.
I wonder how long that lamp will remain now that it's advertised. I wonder where the K West sign went?
I love rock landmarks

Years ago (1993?), I was called to London on a Sunday to do a little snagging before a site handover (This was pre-uni, manual labour days), the site transpired to be behind the very door against which Bowie is posing on the Stardust cover.

But 40 years? That means that today and Hitler's election as chancellor of Germany are equidistant from this event.

A brilliant album by Bowie,no matter what format it's on.........

Mick's guitar is sadly missed

years before i owned a real record spinner, i carried my musicassetttes of Bowie's work round the world with me

first heard it on a battery portable cassette player,sure ate thru' the batteries that machine :)

denni55

Shiny new plaque, shiny new vinyl & DVD package. It's an album long overdue a decent digital master, so lets hope they do it right and keep further away from the compressor / limiter than is currently fashionable (the current best digital copies are the original German and Japanese pressed RCA issues from the dawn of CD, a little bright, but not squashed to hell). I'd argue Bowie needs a full RCA back catalogue box set, all properly remastered.

I like the RCA Japan issue, so much better than any subsequent edition so far. I will give any new Bowie a cautious welcome, but there have been too many crimes against audio in his catalogue.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Has anyone heard this version yet?
I'm tempted to treat myself, but the last remaster of it was awful.

Has anyone heard this version yet?
I'm tempted to treat myself, but the last remaster of it was awful.

Yep, Peter Mew so perhaps to be expected. Who is doing this one? I don't see the RCA original being improved on but we live in hope.

;) always thought the K West sign on the LP was a nod and a wink to where I used to lived, West Kirby :).
In the rave tastic '90's a very good mate had his office in the building just behind the sign. Always a good place to start a night out!
One of Bowies best and one of my fave LP's ever.

I know the compressor argument, but I never really noticed that the previous CD versions (e.g 30th UK and Japanese SHMCD) versions particularly suffered from the loudness wars syndrome.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing this vinyl copy. But I wonder can any major like EMI make a decent vinyl pressing with the attention to quality that it deserves? Let's hope so.

Another thing. Why have Hunky Dory and Man Who Sold The World both been consistently passed over in the re-masters/re-issues/re-packaging program, in favour of albums like Ziggy, Sane and Dogs? Both are, imo at least as good as any of those....(actually my personal faves in his catalogue)

Does it have the acid treble lift of the original?

A short interview with Ray Staff about the mastering of the 40th Anniversary Edition here on MPG. Sounds like some care has been taken, so let's hope it a step towards getting Bowie better represented digitally.

There's an official promo on YouTube too:

Always really hard to assess quality as YouTube resamples / buggers everything up in the upload process, but it at least gives the impression of a somewhat warmer and fatter sound than previous Ziggy CDs, which has to be a good thing IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

advertisement

Back