advertisement

Zeiss Manual Lenses users

cesare.

save yourself the waste of time. lens measurement is almost as useless as hi-fi measurement. what's the point of some incompetent photographer geek's charts and theories when we have pictures to look at?

vuk.

I wasn't suggesting looking at charts, I was more interested in the designs themselves - you aren't about to suggest that lens design is a black art, rather than a science?

I want to know if modern lens designs with internal floating focus mechanisms are being used for reasons other than image quality, for example, to reduce the mass that needs to move, and hence allowing the production of faster AF mechanisms. If this is at the expense of image quality then it might explain why older designs are still able to compete and often exceed the new kids on the block.

Now since lens design isn't some wafty art, it is a proper science, I was planning on tracking down some proper science on the subject rather than random people's lens charts which I agree would be a complete waste of time.

Cesare

cesare.

fair enough. one of the things you are, however, unlikely to get to the bottom of is the quality of the glass (and gluing process/substance--google canadian shield on the matter). the russians stole the leica factory after WW2, replicated the designs, but didn't have german glass.

vuk.

1574204556_fb493f19ec_o.jpg

Joe

Just realised what's so good about this picture, framing and subject aside.

It's a shot we see from time to time, always in b&w if it's any good.

But in this pic the colours are exquisite, like some painting, of Morandi or other colour masters.

Omer.

Omer,

I think our train interiors were last updated in 1975. Does it look like the Disco-era palette of colours?

Joe

Joe his beautiful complexion but even more so the blue finely striped patch in the foreground which so nicely (green and blue will never do ?) sits on the soft yet colourful background.

There you go, he could just as well be one of these vases

morandi3.jpg

morandi.jpg

baitalian277.jpg

Morandi1.jpg

morandi-giorgio-natura-morta-ii-2801772.jpg

Morandi_Giorgio_207.jpg

Omer,

Those vases are nice, but it would look contrived to put a toothpick in one. However, that same toothpick looks perfect in the bloke's mouth, so the bloke and vase are not as interchangeable as you might think.

Joe

Please don't tell me you imply train services don't enforce the no-toothpicking clause ?

With the sunglasses on in this evidence it's going be hard to prosecute him though.

Just realised what's so good about this picture, framing and subject aside.

It's a shot we see from time to time, always in b&w if it's any good.

But in this pic the colours are exquisite, like some painting, of Morandi or other colour masters.

Omer.

Joe's posted that before. I think it's an excellent picture, and you're right, the colour is a large part of its quality.

-- Ian

Omer,

Lots of "picking" is allowed on our trains (nose, teeth), but for the best picking you have to take the bus.

Joe

P.S. Thanks, guys. Now, if only I could do that regularly...

Jesus thanks people we need to help each other here, we are fighting a serial compliments-repeller.
"Sure, the colours are nice since it's a 70's train that I chose to picture. Yes, the seats are fixed so couldn't pose it otherwise, I wouldn't leave my chair and my neck was sprained so the framing was also a given, and the film was an old present past its expiry date".

Much appreciated.

I've never used one, but the 58/1.4 is probably an awful lot of lens for £250. An awful lot. Plus Joe would be your best mate forever if someon could try one out for him.

The 40/2.0 should also be good but Pentax users can pick up 43 Limiteds for similar money.

Cliff,

I've not seen the 58mm f/1.4 Nokton, but it seems to be very good from the reviews I read. The other option is the Carl Zeiss 50mm f/1.4, also made by Cosina.

Both seem better than every ~50mm Nikkor except for maybe the 58mm Noct-Nikkor, but even you might balk at its price.

Joe

advertisement

Back