advertisement

Zeiss Manual Lenses users

Joe that's an amazing shot.

The Pentax 35AL is a good lens but I don't think its out of focus quality is exceptional.

Omer.

Thanks, Omer. It was my first attempt at a trainer.

Joe

matthew.

i wouldn't say the bokeh is bad in cliff's picture. it's not the traditional delicate diffusion kind, but sort of along the lines of the 43 limited: icy and glowing. not the buzz or mush you get with typical nikon.

vuk.

Vuk,

Study this image.

crosses.jpg

Then assign the following terms to each -- icy, glowing, buzz, mush.

Joe

The Zeiss 80/2.8 CT* is a stunning lens, with beautiful bokeh, but you need a Hasselblad to put it on :)

-- Ian

Well, a secondhand Blad, with lens attached, is a hell of a lot cheaper than a D3, or even a Pentax DSLR :)

-- Ian

Oh, and on the note of lenses and their other than sharpness qualities (bokeh etc) I was reading just the other day that traditional 'move the entire lens' designs give better results than the more fancy 'move a single element within the lens body' type of focus systems.

I was surprised by this because all of the more expensive Canon lenses use the single element movement design, whilst their cheaper primes, and all of my older cameras use the 'move the entire lens' type of focus.

I should have a dig further and find if there is any consensus. Anyone know anything further about how the focus mechanism affects how out of focus areas in the frame look?

Cesare

Ian,

Well, a secondhand Blad, with lens attached, is a hell of a lot cheaper than a D3, or even a Pentax DSLR :)
I know. I saw a Hasslblad 500 CM (?) with 80mm CZ prime for $800 Cdn.

Peanuts considering what you're getting for 800 Canuck clams / 400 British squid.

Joe

matthew.

i wouldn't say the bokeh is bad in cliff's picture. it's not the traditional delicate diffusion kind, but sort of along the lines of the 43 limited: icy and glowing. not the buzz or mush you get with typical nikon.

vuk.

Well it's got a horrible background -- but maybe that is just the nature of the obviously challenging background or possibly some USM related thing. Basically the specular highlights have very sharp edges whcih makes them stand out so much and causes the distracting background; which is a similar issue I had with my Zeiss albeit with out the double fringing effect.

The Zeiss 80/2.8 CT* is a stunning lens, with beautiful bokeh, but you need a Hasselblad to put it on :)

You can buy the 50/1.4 Planar T* in F and K mounts which is a very similar design to the 80/2.8. I think the issues dicussed here relate to the Distagons (which is a funny design that does that really close but not actually macro focus stuff). It's also kind of annoying that you cannot buy the Biogons (the undisputed kings of wide-angle) in SLR mounts but I guess this might be a just won't work issue on SLRs, retro focus or somethign?

Of course there is also the multiplier issue (which is why I have a 25 not a 35) and these lenses are brand new and dont have a cheap secondhand option. The 50/1.4 is about £400 I think.

I should have a dig further and find if there is any consensus. Anyone know anything further about how the focus mechanism affects how out of focus areas in the frame look?

cesare.

save yourself the waste of time. lens measurement is almost as useless as hi-fi measurement. what's the point of some incompetent photographer geek's charts and theories when we have pictures to look at?

vuk.

Cesare,

FWIW, I've read that the degree of a lens's correction of spherical aberration in front of or behind the plane of focus is also a factor in how bokeh is rendered, but I suspect its multifactorial.

Joe

It's also kind of annoying that you cannot buy the Biogons (the undisputed kings of wide-angle) in SLR mounts but I guess this might be a just won't work issue on SLRs, retro focus or somethign?

As the rear element is closer to the film plane, you would probably need to lock up the mirror and use an accessory viewfinder.

Nick

And another picture to analyze

2427213393_3b83b99d68.jpg

This one should be in the middle of the highest performace - F4 at an 80th

C

Cliff,

That shot you took of your other cameras with the M8 and Summicron had the creamy bokeh I wish I had.

Joe

advertisement

Back