advertisement

Your Views On The Celestion SL6?

If you google Celestion SL6 you will see

Refurbished Celestion SL6, SL6S and SL6Si Speakers for sale ... Carpwrangler.

He seems to be well into them with plenty of experience.

I found it interesting and a well laid out site with plenty of pictures. If you see the price of original parts it wasnt such a daft thing for me to rescue one.
Thank you.

Possibly the worst loudspeaker ever to hit the market.
Produces a turgid, tuneless, flat, boxy cacophony and is the very antithesis of music.

I had a pair through the 80s and I'd obviously bought them after hearing them against others at the time, and seeing as the words; 'turgid, tuneless, flat, boxy cacophony and is the very antithesis of music' could apply to the Simple Minds/Peter Gabriel/David Bowie type dross at the time, with buckets of reverb and moronic slap bass players, the SL6 were clearly perfectly suited to the music of the era, and were therefore a logical choice.

Thank God things have moved on. The SL6 have probably come out of it better to be honest.
(If I ever hear Sledgehammer again, I'm going to scream)

The hifi press at the time seemed to think the whole range were the best speakers ever made, orders of magnitude better than anything else, etc... etc... I actually started saving up for them (can't remember the exact model) and when I was getting close to having enough money, I went and actually listened to them, they were ok, but a bit dull. I think that was when I bought my ARC 050s.

Hi Linus,
I actually bought the pair of SL6s mentioned in my original 'reply' from 'Carpwrangler', via 'e-pay'.
He was very helpful, the speakers were as described and arrived extremely well packed.
As I mentioned, I really like them - but then again I expect that other people's musical tastes, room sizes, sound sources, amplification and listening levels etc. are all no doubt different than mine.

Regards

Mike Kelshaw

I think all loudspeakers need a good amplifier. The only amplifier related issue with the original SL6 is very low sensitivity and falling HF, so they need power to go loud and develop some bite, but won't actually go very loud without falling apart sonically like all small loudspeakers.

How loud did you want them to go?!

I've had my SL6 on a Nytech 252, a Linn LK1/LK2 and a Linn Kairn/2250.

I have never had a problem with volume.

Then again, I'm not deaf. ;)

I use to drive my SL6S with an IncaTech Claymore..... quite successfully....
I made the stands by bolting a steel plate either end of a Kerb stone, which was all painted in Hammerite paint.... F**** heavy, just what the speakers needed. :D

They got replaced by a pair of second generation ES14's :)

WANTED.....ONE BLACK SL6 SPEAKER original spec with copper tweeter to match this one. Well any veneer really........poor price paid :)

must have the linked serial number to 257031 :D

The hunt is on for the other one :)

Seriously I might put in a wanted add but its near impossible to find another lone speaker. I hate it when things get split up and chucked. Probably why my place is like a hoarders den :)

Yes, mine were driven by an Incatech too. But I think the point that they were power hungry is very true. The more powerful amplifier I could get the better they sounded.

I use to drive my SL6S with an IncaTech Claymore..... quite successfully....
I made the stands by bolting a steel plate either end of a Kerb stone, which was all painted in Hammerite paint.... F**** heavy, just what the speakers needed. :D

They got replaced by a pair of second generation ES14's :)

Where do you live? If you are anywhere near me (Milton Keynes) you could come round and we could get my pair out and have listen to them. I still have the extremely heavy single post stands for them.

WANTED.....ONE BLACK SL6 SPEAKER original spec with copper tweeter to match this one. Well any veneer really........poor price paid :)

must have the linked serial number to 257031 :D

The hunt is on for the other one :)

Seriously I might put in a wanted add but its near impossible to find another lone speaker. I hate it when things get split up and chucked. Probably why my place is like a hoarders den :)

Where do you live? If you are anywhere near me (Milton Keynes) you could come round and we could get my pair out and have listen to them. I still have the extremely heavy single post stands for them.

Yes Cheers But Im in Cheshire. Im going to see what this dealer and ebay come up with. I will certainly make a note that you have a pair with stands though.

You know what its like. Ive started this now by finding one. I will match it up or get a pair even if I have to resell them.

I dont think I would pay top dollar for a pair but it will be interesting to see the market. I won a pair many years ago for £51 but pulled out for some daft cold feet reason. they went on to sell for over double that. A pair have just gone for £150 buy it now

Yes Ive seen all that thanks. This has just become about getting an original working pair if possible. I might give up on the idea when it finally clicks that Im being silly.

My near future system is going to be Nytech and new version Arcs I think.

This is just another sideline. The dealer reckons its going to be extremely hard to find another solitary unit. I will get it up on a stand and run some further tests.

This all takes me back.

At the time, I opted for a pair of Wharfedale 708's instead of the Celestions.

Wharfedale's competitor to the SL600, they used an aluminium dome and sandwich construction. Would love to hear a pair today. They worked really well in small rooms - or so I thought at the time.

Apologies in advance for this slight 'thread deviation'
I am looking for a suitable pair of stands for my S/H pair of SL6S's.
I used pair of 24" (600 mm) 'Target' stands with my original SL6Si's and although I regularly watch 'e-pay and the 'classified's on this and other forums, I haven't managed to find anything yet.
Would one of the members care to make a recommendation?

Regards

Mike Kelshaw

The SL6 series speakers work best on heavy pillar-type stand of 18" in height (so your Targets were less than ideal).

My recommendation is to use a set of 'Foundation' stands and fill them with sand.

I'm using an original pair of Foundations with my SL600Si and have just acquired another set off Ebay to go with the SL6 that are going to my neice.

I had what I thought were original Cliff Stone Foundation stands, but saw my friends cheap Target stands and noted they were exactly the same?

Either way, heavy central column/s is what I'd be looking for, they didn't work on my open Epos frames when I had them

Merlin, I search for 708's (504's in my bedroom) I've seen one pair on ebay but they were miles away and I believe the cabinets fragility wouldn't travel well? Bargain for around £100!

The stands recommended by Celestion for the SL6S were their own 40cm twin pillar jobbies. Not sure whether the same recommendation applied to the earlier SL6 but it would seem logical for it to.

As has been mentioned, they work excellently with Cliff Stone Foundation stands and these would be the ones I'd go for. There are not that many about as they were frigging expensive in their day, not far off the cost of the actual speakers themselves IIRC.

This thread is making me want to hear a pair of SL6s! I can't recall ever hearing a pair to be honest. I can remember all the hype, and I even owned a pair of the matching sand-filled MDF stands for a while (used with my JR149s), but I don't recall hearing the speakers, not the 600s, 700s. Some little speakers do need a crazy powerful amp up them to wake them up, e.g. I'd have written first gen AE1s off as remarkably average had I not heard them on the end of a 100 watt Krell!

Briefly owned a mint pair for SL6Si's and original stands, really needed a beefy amp to get the best from them. I used a Meridian 559!!!

Midrange was lovely, excellent on acoustic material, but did have a tendency to sound a bit boxy. Bass light, but reasonably tight.

A childhood dream slightly shattered as I had drooled over them in the mags as a teenager.

But sold them easily for over 3 times what I paid for them (they really were mint, with all original packaging, documentation, brochures (and who can't forget the Celestion swimsuit ads!!)), so every cloud has a silver lining!!!!

The recommended stands seem quite low. I would have thought they would be better on 60cm or 80cm stands. I have foundation and target stands. I keep meaning to buy some expensive Partington type stands. The target HS range look quite good. I want some Linn Kan stands next :)

There are some celestion stands on ebay at the moment.

advertisement

Back