advertisement

Your Views On The Celestion SL6?

Hi Mike
Thanks for your comments - I was pleased mine were helpful.

A small room is relative of course! I was playing them in a typical moderate Victorian/Edwardian terraced house with the front and back rooms knocked together.

I would slightly modify what I said because I did some further listening. They do lack weight in the lower frequencies, but that doesn't mean they lack scale, in that they create a significant soundstage.

The other observation I have is that I never heard them sound this good in the past and my conclusion is that they really do need high quality sources and a powerful amplifier to show their true strengths. My other components have moved on significantly since I last played them.

Good luck with getting your system up and running!
Clive

Hi Clive,
Thanks for your reply, and the additional clarification.
As for getting my 2nd system 'up and running', barring my demise, that will happen some time this year when I finally move from Reading into my 'retirement home' in Torquay.
At the moment the 44/405/SL6S's are being fed by a Meridian 504 which I recently purchased, and my old Rotel 965 BX which I bought new in '92.
However it's the 'old' vinyl players that I'm really looking forward to setting up and listening to.

Regards

Mike Kelshaw

I had some SL6s on 18" stands, powered by two Rotel RB980BX running bridged mode.
Replaced the bias pots with some nicer ones and retuned amps to run a tad hotter.
Standard specs say the amps run at 360 watts RMS bridged.
I used a rotel preamp and feel it with a Marantz 8260.
It took a while to get the right cable combination sorted but when I did these speakers could sing a pretty little tune.

I never found them to dull or to bright, this system blew away many audio folk while they were buying Stockfish CDs from me.

I am currently looking at setting up another pair as I miss the sound so much, even today they would give speakers with a higher price range a run for there money...you just need to set them up correctly.

I can't wait to get this other pair from a friend set up and enjoy endless hours of fatiuqe free listing!

When I first caught the audiophile bug, I was 16 or 17 years old. I fell in love with the SL6, but couldn't afford to buy a pair. Having owned many wonderful speakers in the past 20 years, I've always wondered how the SL6 would compare. My ear was definitely not as discerning back then as it is now.

After all these years I snagged a pair for the same $600 (Canadian) that they sold for 40 years ago. :cool:

I just hooked them up, and I'm pleased to say they aren't crap. However, they definitely don't measure up to better standmounters like the Royd RR3 or @James' Ergo IX design. The midbass is rather pronounced, making things seem a bit muddy, and the upper frequencies are somewhat gentle. It's a "nice" sounding speaker, but I wouldn't use it for serious listening. I may end up putting it in the bedroom, where I currently have some Totem Mites with a similar sonic signature.

Last edited:
Never had SL6, but own a pair of the last run out model of the series - the 100. They are lovely, incredibly musical and the solidity of the bass is great.

I use them on Target R1 heavy stands with a Musical fidelity A1000 class a amp.

advertisement

Back