Votes: 8 7.9%
  • RP8/Planar 8

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • RP10/Planar 10

Votes: 23 22.8%
  • Planet/P1/RP1

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
But we audiophiles always crave for something better. So I traded in my Rega for a Linn Sondek LP12. The latter sounds better but I regret for the missing of a so fascinating player in my listening room.

I did the same trading a mint early Planar 3 (Acos arm) for a Linn. It didn't sound any better and I found it awkward to use. Sold it and eventually went back to Rega ending up with another Planar 3 (RB300). Never strayed again.

edited (awkward instead of faff)

Last edited:
Having had a Planar 2, Planar 3, P5, then a long break, then the latest Planar 2 followed by the latest Planar 3, my vote is for the P5. Mine was black with an aluminium coloured frame. A great sounding deck with an exceptional tonearm. Not sure what the purpose of the frame was though? Or was it just for looks?
Finally settled on an LP12 though which is a keeper.

I did the same trading a mint early Planar 3 (Acos arm) for a Linn. It didn't sound any better and was a faff to use. Sold it and eventually went back to Rega ending up with another Planar 3 (RB300). Never strayed again.

Yes I agree with you! Regas are user friendly while the Lp12 is a faff to use. Mine too didn't sound good for a lot of time, until I learned to set up and to build it properly. However I'm not a supporter of that scottish brand but only a disappointed customer for commercial policy reasons. I want not to polemize ... this is only my true experience.

Voted for the 10.

Don’t know why but Regas with glass platters are a total no-no for me; I had a RP6 and never really got used to it and various listens to the P3 have always left me underwhelmed.

The 9 and 10 are totally different to my ears. 2 excellent turntables which can probably compete with anything currently available.

Not sure what the purpose of the frame was though? Or was it just for looks?
IIRC, a case of form following function, with the frame allowing for the plinth to be reduced both in size and weight whilst still supporting the dustcover. The way the frame is attached near each corner (i.e. plinth resonance nulls) essentially negates the transmission of resonance in either direction.

Voted Planar 3.

But I’ll take any suspended deck over any Rega.

Mind sharing why? I ask earnestly. My first "grown-up" turntable was a mid-'90s P3, and I've never owned anything but Rega turntables since (P3, to P5, to current RP8)...mostly just because that's what I got first and I've always enjoyed them...and I've never really spent any time with anything else.

What does "any suspended deck" do better?

Everything. And that felt mat doesn’t support anything, especially not a record, which needs to sit firmly and to be coupled to the platter.

Everything. And that felt mat doesn’t support anything, especially not a record, which needs to sit firmly and to be coupled to the platter.

it seems to me a point of view a little too "dogmatic"...

what is certainly better in suspended systems is that they are more "airy", more space between the instruments, more soundstage, the rest is questionable (where in general non-suspended systems have more speed, dynamic, firm bass etc.).

PS: the Linn LP12 also has a felt mat.

I voted for the Planar 2 because it offers the essence of Rega which is simplicity of design and value for money.

As you climb the range the increases in sound quality don’t match the added cost until you get to the P10 which is so far behind a Basik LP12 in sound quality but for £600 more.

Who’d have thought we’d see the day that Linn was offering better VFM than Rega!

I voted for the Planar 2 because it offers the essence of Rega which is simplicity of design and value for money.

As you climb the range the increases in sound quality don’t match the added cost until you get to the P10 which is so far behind a Basik LP12 in sound quality but for £600 more.

Who’d have thought we’d see the day that Linn was offering better VFM than Rega!
Personally, and I love the LP12 a lot, but I don’t think it is, unless you intend to use it as a starting point into LP12 ownership. The Planar 10 with the Apheta is a stunning deck, to my ears better than the Majik LP12. It would be interesting to compare the Planar 10 with a lower level cartridge against the Majik LP12 with a decent MC though... or even with the same cartridge to properly level the playing field.

What I do know is that I will have another LP12 at some point, but at this moment in time, I want the Planar 10.

What do you have now?

In my signature, The Sony has been with my for getting on for 10-years now and apart from the size I cant fault it, even over the Apollo, Apollo-R and Saturn I've had. Had the R9s for quite a number of years as well but decided to go down a different route, back to ATC (and hopefully some big Tannoys in the future once we have moved house).
I prefer the Bryston over the Mira, Cursa & Maia and Elicit I have had as well.

Rega P9/RB1000/Ania/F-117 Nighthawk | Sony S9000ES | Bryston B60 | ATC SCM10

Needs?

Suspended decks have some thing, I'll give you that. But not all of the something they have is good. It's a different sound, a different way of doing things, but the fact that very few manufacturers use suspended sub-chassis designs these days is not an accident.

I have a P3 upgraded with an Exact cartridge & a Neo PSU. I also have a standard P6, so little difference between the two. However an annoying feature of the P6 is background noise when returning the arm to its start position, but it does not occur when playing a record. The P3 has a choice of different colours.
My vote goes to the P3.

Naim Supernait and Ophidian Prophet

Did you hear the latest version with the Karousel bearing and the Jelco Arm?
To be fair I haven’t heard the Karousel bearing but I have heard the Jelco arm, and it is an excellent deck... the Planar 10 edges it for me though, it’s a great deck and looks very cool too. And I just fancy live way a top of the line Rega for a while... I will almost certainly have another LP12 at some point, but I’ll likely Jump back in at Akurate level or above.

Interesting thread.

I have a RP6/Exact/Fono MM. I really like the Exact (more than Denon and AT carts I've owned), but I've also wondered how far up the cart/phono pre one can go with the RP6 without it being a bad move.

advertisement

Back