advertisement

Your gigs of the year

Taking my (then) 18 month old son to the 'A New Day Festival' for his first gig - The Crazy World of Arthur Brown.

Beth Rowley at the Soup Kitchen in Manchester. It's a dingy basement venue with peeling paint on the walls, the stage is tiny and is inches away from the crowd.
It was intense you really felt a part of it . After that gig I swore I'd never go to a big venue again.

Geoff Tates Operation Mindcrime 30 year tour at the Camden Underworld. Bloody brilliant the band were tight playing the complex and awesome entire Operation Mindcrime album. Took me back 30 years when I first went to see them.

King Crimson, Glasgow in November. A bit weird having an interval, I suppose it gave you time to draw breath and have a pee.

Ally

Blimey, there's a fishie in Oamaru! I'm in Dunners, please pm me if you're headed down here for any gigs.
Hi, Sean. I moved from Chch a couple of years ago. :)

I was in Port Chalmers recently for the Terminals/Alastair Galbraith/Cash Guitar gig. Did you go? Not quite GOTY material from my perspective, but a good night nonetheless.

The evening light on the harbour and peninsula was stunning.

Not so many gigs this year for me, but a few absolute standouts :-
Barbican - Ryuichi Sakamoto, with Alva Noto, Nils Frahm (love that venue, even if a pain to get to for me)
At RAH Olafur Arnalds was excellent (as were the audience) then 3 nights with Mr Wilson (night 2 just outstanding), Nine Inch Nails - what a gig!
NIA - Roger Waters. (most expensive ticket for me yet) Outstanding show though.
Symphony Hall - David Byrne, stunning. Saucerful was a surprise gig that turned out to be big fun. Perhaps best gig of season goes to King Crimson here.
A stand alone gig - Sonar (With David Torn) @ Vortex. Most annoying drive of the year to the club, but made so worthwhile by a truly fantastic night of music.

Beth Rowley at the Soup Kitchen in Manchester. It's a dingy basement venue with peeling paint on the walls, the stage is tiny and is inches away from the crowd.
It was intense you really felt a part of it . After that gig I swore I'd never go to a big venue again.

Awesome, going to see Beak there next month...

Best
Roger Waters in Manchester
Iron Maiden at Newcastle Metro

Worst
WASP in Newcastle - back out on the street at 9:30!!!

Best gig of 2019 could turn out to be John Tilbury's performance of Feldman's 'For Bunita Marcus' at the Cafe Oto last Thursday night.

advertisement

Back