advertisement

Your future car buying decisions?

This is the exact reason I got my BMW 335i Touring with adaptive suspension, big Brembo brakes and a proper 6-speed manual gearbox. It looks like an innocuous wagon/estate but hauls ass when I want it to.

I like sleeper cars.

Absolutely James - that's a cracking engine in the 335.

But it just isn't the same emotional experience as a n/a six (or more) cylinder engine.
Yeah, the flat torque curve from 1,500rpm to 5,000rpm takes all the fun out of the top-end rush. But the exhaust note still makes up for it. For a daily driver, the N55 is a better choice than any N/A I6 or V8 produced by BMW.

Yeah, the flat torque curve from 1,500rpm to 5,000rpm takes all the fun out of the top-end rush. But the exhaust note still makes up for it. For a daily driver, the N55 is a better choice than any N/A I6 or V8 produced by BMW.

I'm not going to disagree with your facts and figures, and I've driven a 135i with 400bhp. However, it just didn't do anything for me on the emotional level. Even the BMW performance exhaust was too polite really.

But that's just me :)

I've no plans to change either (Subaru and Land Rover). Both are diesel so it's probably more a question of when they are taxed off the road. When the time comes, a small petrol is most likely as I don't see electric vehicles working well in the sticks.

Cars are an interesting topic. Of the people I know, I tend to find the value of a car someone drives to be inversely proportional to their net worth!

I'm not going to disagree with your facts and figures, and I've driven a 135i with 400bhp. However, it just didn't do anything for me on the emotional level. Even the BMW performance exhaust was too polite really.

You might be spoilt by Porsche. Curiously, the M135i I sampled around a race track felt the most involving amongst the choice of M3 (E92), M5 (F10), M6 and X5M. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I've heard it said before, but also heard others say what a cracking engine it is. So clearly subjective!

Currently have an Alfa 159 3.2 V6. Lovely noise, dreadful economy. Fortunately I commute by bicycle and only do about 5,000 miles a year so don't much care about fuel economy. Not sure where I'll go from this but it will be hard to go back to 4 cylinders with or without a turbo. Current favourite - Masterati Quattroporte. 4.2 litre V8, what's not to like?

How about the Giulia Quadrifoglio?

My 159 was a 2.2 and that was a thirsty beast, I replaced it with a Giulietta diesel Sportiva now we fill up every other week.

Pete

You might be spoilt by Porsche. Curiously, the M135i I sampled around a race track felt the most involving amongst the choice of M3 (E92), M5 (F10), M6 and X5M. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Both right IMO : the M2/135/235 are the smallest but the best of all BMW M cars. But a 911 is a 911 :)

The 135's 140's are not M cars I found out recently when buying my F20 diesel.

However I would seriously consider one. A lot of car and fun for the money, plus even as a Lotus and Caterham owner the humble diesel 1 series I have has great stability and poise in the twisties and does not feel stodgy.

Is it that you just don't notice all the Seats, VWs, Renaults, Citroens, Fords, plumber's vans, transits and other stuff hogging and speeding? :p

It's interesting how just about every group in the UK these days likes to separate themselves into 'worthy' and 'unworthy' - divide and rule.

Not at all. I was just on a 'wind up'. It worked.. ;)

Mull

who knows what is coming down the road (so to speak) - if you'd have asked me the same question last year, I'd have probably said, another Boxster S......but now I am picking up a Macan Turbo this week......

Was a Macan GTS not fast enough ? :D

I was in ireland last year this time , the hire car was a skoda octavia diesel .. we dont get them here in south Africa... very nice vehicle..4 litres per 100km over the 2 weeks I drove it.

I've got an Octavia 4x4 2.0TDI on two year lease. Long journeys are comfortable, carries loads of stuff, 50mpg long-term, £200/month including tax and maintenance. Plays FLAC files too. If I can get a similar deal when this one is up I won't bother looking further.

I am suspecting that we are approaching another technology jump point with driverless cars and electric power.
Discussing which car will be best in a few years might well be like arguing about breeds of horses a hundred years ago

I am suspecting that we are approaching another technology jump point with driverless cars and electric power.
Discussing which car will be best in a few years might well be like arguing about breeds of horses a hundred years ago

The largest car markets are China and USA and they are huge countries. Do you really think they will go electric within the next 15 years ?

However I would seriously consider one. A lot of car and fun for the money, plus even as a Lotus and Caterham owner the humble diesel 1 series I have has great stability and poise in the twisties and does not feel stodgy.
Agreed, despite the "M" in front of the "135" or "235" or "240" model designation, they are not proper M cars. However, the performance gap between the M240i and M2 is exceedingly narrow; much less so than say between the 340i and M3.

A couple of reviews of M2 vs M240i have said that the M2 isn't worth the extra bunce.

advertisement

Back