advertisement

Your future car buying decisions?

My interest in all those Beemers, Mercs, Audis etc., that are only allowed to go in lane 3 of the motorway and must under no circumstance drop below 90 mph, is zilch. :p

Mull

Is it that you just don't notice all the Seats, VWs, Renaults, Citroens, Fords, plumber's vans, transits and other stuff hogging and speeding? :p

It's interesting how just about every group in the UK these days likes to separate themselves into 'worthy' and 'unworthy' - divide and rule.

Driverless cars raise the intriguing possibility of simpler driving tests and driver licensing. Just demonstrate you know how to swivel the front seats round to face the rear seat and operate the drinks fridge safely.
It could be a great development for the elderly and make the roads safer to boot!

Driverless cars raise the intriguing possibility of simpler driving tests and driver licensing. Just demonstrate you know how to swivel the front seats round to face the rear seat and operate the drinks fridge safely.
It could be a great development for the elderly and make the roads safer to boot!

Mmmm... some elderly can't even operate a TV let alone program the destination and route of a driverless car.

Pete

I wouldn't personally buy one because I'm 33 and it's not cool enough but I have to agree, it's a great car... I had a Nissan note as a courtesy car a few years back, that was very good too.

I get the practical car thing totally but I like my cars with a bit of grunt and handling too - the Octavia is remapped and has Bilstein/Eibachs. It's still a bit of a dads car but then I am a dad! Allows me to have a sports car too though..

I recently handed back the the Mk7 Golf R DSG, which I enjoyed immensely.
Currently my wife and I switch between a Merc CLS Shooting Brake and a Skoda Fabia 1.2 TSI.
The Merc is ok, it's a quiet and relaxing place to be for long drives, but feels a bit compact inside - it's like a prettier, but squashed E Class estate. I don't find the layout of controls very intuitive, don't like the US-style gear stick transmission, don't really get on with the COMAND system.

The sat nav is sometimes excellent, but other times terrible, the screen implies it's an ipad but isn't touch-screen, etc. But the fuel economy is good and it allows me to ferry children around and to and from Uni in safety and comfort.

The 66 plate Fabia on the other hand with touch screen, Apple car play, collision detection, a nippy little 4 cyl petrol engine, easy room for 4 large adults, decent boot space, easy to park, excellent economy and a nice looking little motor that I can also have the kids insured on, is a great option.

Have driven VW's & Audi's for over 30 years now for me they are great cars. Curenty drive a A3 soft top with the 1.4 150bhp valve shut down. Great on fuel and very peppy.

We have ditched diesel - saw the writing on the the wall a few years back - Run a Lexus IS300H and Skoda Superb 1.8tsi. Both fantastic cars - we only do a combined 10k miles a year, cycle and walk where possible - most journeys in the UK don't justify using diesel anyways esp with the more than optimistic MPG figures. I have never liked the DPF/approach with modern diesels (have owned a few). I feel sorry for the populace who have been sold a duff deal with diesel - transition to Elec/Hybrid Asap I say!

Went to Liverpool on Sunday, a 28 mile round trip. Out of interest I set the trip computer up for the short stop/start journey with 50% M'way thrown in.

BMW F20 1 series diesel. 58.4 mpg:eek: Hit 71mpg on the first bit of the Motorway leg, admittedly driving like a granny at 60mph :D

I get the practical car thing totally but I like my cars with a bit of grunt and handling too - the Octavia is remapped and has Bilstein/Eibachs. It's still a bit of a dads car but then I am a dad! Allows me to have a sports car too though..

Interesting, my golf has the same suspense setup, running at 210bhp with a K04 turbo. Add in a set of pilot sport tyres and its a lot of fun and very grippy. Turns the MK4 into a proper GTI.

My Octavia Diesel has a couple of faults and some maintenace required - decided to chop it in for a new petrol one last week. Not something I can delay because the fault won't wait long. In answer to the original question: no, didn't consider what single market might do, can't wait and don't think I can do anything about it anyway.

I'm almost fascinated by the progress with petrol engines. I suppose it's 30 odd years but a 2.8 V6 ford produced 150 hp and about the same ft lbs of torque, drinking petrol at about 25mpg. Now a little 1.4 turbo produces the same hp and 184 lb ft of torque at 1500rpm, with far superior economy. Nowhere near the fun of a 2.8 Capri mind...

This is the exact reason I got my BMW 335i Touring with adaptive suspension, big Brembo brakes and a proper 6-speed manual gearbox. It looks like an innocuous wagon/estate but hauls ass when I want it to.

I like sleeper cars.

Interesting, my golf has the same suspense setup, running at 210bhp with a K04 turbo. Add in a set of pilot sport tyres and its a lot of fun and very grippy. Turns the MK4 into a proper GTI.

I can imagine! 205bhp and 330lb torque here - not bad for a 2.0 diesel.

Mate had a mk2 Golf with a 1.8t - 270bhp!! Had the same engine in one of my Elise's.

I can imagine! 205bhp and 330lb torque here - not bad for a 2.0 diesel.

Mate had a mk2 Golf with a 1.8t - 270bhp!! Had the same engine in one of my Elise's.

I could get closer to 270bhp in mine but that'd require a front mount intercooler and bigger injectors, the front mount looks a mess IMO because you have to remove sections of the lower grille for the pipe work to fit. Besides, 210bhp is enough in a fwd golf.

I've driven tuned up TDIs and the torque feels insane, they certainly give you a firm prod in the back!

I never knew they used the VAG 1.8t in the Elise but with the right supporting components and tuning, it's easily up to the job.

I was in ireland last year this time , the hire car was a skoda octavia diesel .. we dont get them here in south Africa... very nice vehicle..4 litres per 100km over the 2 weeks I drove it.

Up until 2 months ago , I had a supercharged v8 jag (S type R) as my daily driver ..was written off by someone that rear ended me.
For 2 months I have been using UBER , I dont plan of replacing the JAG .. UBER works brilliantly
I put the lump sum insurance payout into my audio upgrade fund

Currently have an Alfa 159 3.2 V6. Lovely noise, dreadful economy. Fortunately I commute by bicycle and only do about 5,000 miles a year so don't much care about fuel economy. Not sure where I'll go from this but it will be hard to go back to 4 cylinders with or without a turbo. Current favourite - Masterati Quattroporte. 4.2 litre V8, what's not to like?

Get my Leon Cupra 290 next month :)

My brother took me out in his golf R tuned to 410bhp. It is insanely fast. 410 from a 2 litre engine is nuts.

Currently have an Alfa 159 3.2 V6. Lovely noise, dreadful economy. Fortunately I commute by bicycle and only do about 5,000 miles a year so don't much care about fuel economy. Not sure where I'll go from this but it will be hard to go back to 4 cylinders with or without a turbo. Current favourite - Masterati Quattroporte. 4.2 litre V8, what's not to like?
The latest crop of turbo-petrol engines have remarkable power-to-economy figures. I get 300bhp and consistently average 33mpg from mine.

I could get closer to 270bhp in mine but that'd require a front mount intercooler and bigger injectors, the front mount looks a mess IMO because you have to remove sections of the lower grille for the pipe work to fit. Besides, 210bhp is enough in a fwd golf.

I've driven tuned up TDIs and the torque feels insane, they certainly give you a firm prod in the back!

I never knew they used the VAG 1.8t in the Elise but with the right supporting components and tuning, it's easily up to the job.

It was one of the conversions they were doing a few years ago and a very good conversion, but I changed to a sc Honda K20a (315bhp!!) as it worked better without 290lb of torque and 9000rpm.

advertisement

Back