advertisement

YOUR favourite reference track

OK people - the playlist is now complete (so far)

There are a few tracks which arent on spotify and there are also some people who chose full albums. I have not added full albums (save for the Tracy Chapman) because it will become unwieldy.

Where the track was not available I have usually chosen the first 'top hits' track.

Where a whole album has been chosen I have added the first or title track.

I must say there are some pretty fantastic tracks on there - enjoy

http://open.spotify.com/user/georgeeasten/playlist/69ssaTM08k8iiKscq0VHGQ

Hmmm, not demmed for a long time, but a favourite was Beautful South's "Window Shopping For Blinds". It's one of those songs that when the system's right it's superbly musical and fills you with anticipation for the next lines. And when it finishes you just wanna hear it all over again. When the system's naff, you reach for the 'next track please' button with 10 seconds.

And many Thea Gilmore tracks, too many to mention, but especially Rules for Jokers album - full of cracking instrumentation and clever vocals timing.

i stopped buying hifi ages ago, and i don't think I ever bothered listening to it before when i did.
having said that the second scritti lp is a good one

No single track but some, or all, of the follwoing normally feature somewhere or other.

Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
Sinnead O'Connor - Nothing Compare To You
Bach - Toccata and Fuge in D Minor
Iron Maiden - Prowler
Commodores - Night Shift
Bomb the Bass - Bug Powder Dust
Gladiator OST
Jon Strong - Diamond Shine
Brian Moore - Still Got the Blues

There have been others and I'm sure new ones will continue to enter the frame from time to time.

Late addition: whoever said Thea Gilmore is spot on

The old and consistent few;

Oscar Peterson, you look good to me from we get requests, superb 60's recording with woody, meaty double bass and recessed piano and GROOVE

'track 15' from jewell, original album incredible emotion

wilbur de parry, any track from that's a plenty on mono vinyl :D swing your pants or get out of my face ;)

Natalie Merchant 'beloved wife' from Tiger Lilly, defines emotion and poise and how to get it wrong

Recent additions William Fitzsimmons, 'Even now' awesome track, Damien Rice ' accidental babies'

Larry Carltons Sleep walk.

My Uncle suggested the album when I first got into hifi (with his help)back into the '80s.

Just recently;

Vinyl

Talk Talk - Colour of Spring, whole album
Jennifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat, "Song for Bernadette"
Deep Purple - Machine Head - "Lazy"

CD

Eels - Souljacker - whole album

Plenty of others depending on mood!

James Taylor - Hourglass
Raul Midon - State of Mind
Shelby Lynne - Just a Little Lovin
Blue Nile - Peace at Last

All seem to be my most frequent tracks for evaluating my horns

Oscar Peterson, you look good to me from we get requests, superb 60's recording with woody, meaty double bass and recessed piano and GROOVE

I have not heard this album for a few years, have now gone back to it and am enjoying it more than ever.

Hello, I'm new here. Long time reader, first time caller.

One of my favourite test tracks was Mr Zebra by Tori Amos from her 1996 album 'Boys for the Pele'. Nice and short for testing purposes and that brass band is beautifully recorded, as is the whole album really.

Paul Simons - you can call me al
Pink floyd - the wall
Benga - 18 basslines
Trcey chapman- fast car
Beth orton - devils song

All on vinyl

advertisement

Back