advertisement

Your experience with Roon

To be honest if lms integrated my local and online libraries I would be tempted. But as far as I can tell it does not so that is that.
This is a screenshot of my LMS library showing a list of the new music I've added in the last few weeks to my collection. You'll see the Spotty and Tidal icons on the top right of each cover, the Ken Martin album shown without an icon is a Flac album on my NAS drive.

Not sure if this is what you think LMS can't do.
i-3p2vZkr-X3.jpg

If you've favourited an album on Tidal or Qobuz it will show in your My Music library, but if you want to search for something you need to do so separately.

If you've favourited an album on Tidal or Qobuz it will show in your My Music library, but if you want to search for something you need to do so separately.
Can search via the Material Skin for LMS without going to the native app. I'm fact the only time I use the native apps is when I'm listening to my iPad or phone, all my main system listening, searching and adding favourites is via LMS

Hi does it give an integrated view of all my music including online, that’s to say I dont have to go into tidal tab to see tidal music?

To be honest if lms integrated my local and online libraries I would be tempted. But as far as I can tell it does not so that is that.

Of course it can and has done for ever (well at least 2 years).

Up till and including V7.3, streaming service albums were shown under a separate menu option under "home"

From 8.x, streamed albums appear alongside local albums and a little "flag" appears along side streamed albums indicating which service they belong to.

Peter

Just checked the LMS changelog...local/remote integration started Nov 2020

Version 8.0.0 - 2020-11-20 (e0eee9c29)

Of course it can and has done for ever (well at least 2 years).

Up till and including V7.3, streaming service albums were shown under a separate menu option under "home"

From 8.x, streamed albums appear alongside local albums and a little "flag" appears along side streamed albums indicating which service they belong to.

Peter

Just checked the LMS changelog...local/remote integration started Nov 2020

Version 8.0.0 - 2020-11-20 (e0eee9c29)

Ok cool I will chuck it in a docker and see how I get on

You won't live long enough, you're not clever enough on your own and there is absolutely nothing out there to cover all the pedantic needs of individuals.

Time will tell, the last open source project I was involved with was a two person effort in its early days and is still going strong 14 years later without either of us involved.

If I did find the time I wouldn’t be catering for everyone’s ‘pedantic needs’ but I have no doubt it’d tick many boxes for music lovers, whilst serving my pedantic needs also.

LMS with Material Skin has served me well. Returning to it, I felt no craving for Roon Again. Don’t get me wrong, there are many good features in Roon but I didn’t feel the need to use most of these.LMS provides what I need and is slick enough to be enjoyable. I used IPeng and SqueezePad remotes in the past as well though I now prefer MS.

Yes ipeng is the bIt that fills me with dread let’s hope that this turd of an app was improved.

Again, true if you've added them to your library. Not if you're doing a search for (e.g.) an artist, album or track.

You've never looked for a new album or other stuff by artists/ composers that you like? And you use a streaming service?

Inside LMS I never have..which is where I think your comment was directed.

I have Qobuz and do searches inside their app.

I find its easier to do it there and I never have the impulse to do an LMS search when listening... but I am sure people who use Roon probably spend time doing look ups, reading metadata etc when music is playing... thats not for me, I always do that stuff "out of band" (excuse the pun)

The one search that Qobuz has that I use a lot and no one else has (that I know of... have tried Deezer and Tidal in the distant past) is search by Label. I really like that as it allows you to discover/hover up artists (esp Jazz ones) from labels that were dedicate to Jazz (Fantasy, Verve, Blue Note etc). Works also for Blues labels (Delmark, Alligator, Vanguard, Chess) but the number of albums from these labels seems to be small compare to their total catalog.

Peter

So you use a web browser to control it rather than an app?
Pretty much. If running Android there’s a native app, but the browser interface works very nicely on all platforms, so much so you don’t realise you’re in a browser. Even launching is via a shortcut icon that looks like that of any other app on a mobile/tablet.

advertisement

Back