advertisement

Your experience with Roon

Roon leverages both file based and its own metadata if configured to do so. It’ll also augment its own with that in files when additive. That’s all well understood. The catch is I have my tagger set to preserve file mod date and time because I use that as the sort order when browsing new music in LMS (and previously Roon). Consequently Roon cannot auto detect file changes and a rescan is required. Pre 2.0 you could select them all using Ctrl-A then trigger a rescan. The ability to select all this way was removed. I raised it during testing and there was some bullshit answer that it was too difficult to retain given some other changes they’d made under the hood. That smacks of shoddy solution design.

OK I think I understand what you are saying, you want to make changes to tags without that reflecting in modified date. That seems like an extremely niche use case.

I had to change some tags outside of roon just now and they were immediately detected in roon, but I am not worrying about mod dates. TBH I am struggling to understand why you would want to list your music by modified tag date

Roon leverages both file based and its own metadata if configured to do so. It’ll also augment its own with that in files when additive. That’s all well understood. The catch is I have my tagger set to preserve file mod date and time because I use that as the sort order when browsing new music in LMS (and previously Roon). Consequently Roon cannot auto detect file changes and a rescan is required. Pre 2.0 you could select them all using Ctrl-A then trigger a rescan. The ability to select all this way was removed. I raised it during testing and there was some bullshit answer that it was too difficult to retain given some other changes they’d made under the hood. That smacks of shoddy solution design.

I'm not a Room user but, unless I'm misunderstanding something, that sounds like a horrifically roundabout way to achieve identifying new music in your database. Wouldn't it be simpler to request that import date be included in the database and exposed as a sorting criterion rather than to continue to ensure that the UI supports bulk rescanning of manually selected files? Then you can update metadata all you want, trigger rescans automatically etc.

Nope, I don’t want older albums appearing in my new albums feed or as recent additions in the filesystem. That doesn’t mean I don’t want updated/ enriched or corrected metadata incorporated in my music front-end.

Truth is if I make large scale updates it’s to a database of tags ingested from underlying files. These are then written from database back to only the affected files and their mod date/time is incremented by 1 second so any music UI will detect the changes.

Preserving modified date lets me easily track when I bought what and how my collection has evolved.

As I said earlier, a niche case.

and as I said, a perfectly good solution for the superficial user that only wants to point and click on something to play. Countless other solutions answer that call, no need for Roon.

Nope, I don’t want older albums appearing in my new albums feed or as recent additions in the filesystem. That doesn’t mean I don’t want updated/ enriched or corrected metadata incorporated in my music front-end.

Truth is if I make large scale updates it’s to a database of tags ingested from underlying files. These are then written from database back to only the affected files and their mod date/time is incremented by 1 second so any music UI will detect the changes.

Preserving modified date lets me easily track when I bought what and how my collection has evolved.

Again, why doesn't an "import date" resolve all of this? Am I missing something about how Room works? Files have a creation time and modification time. If "import date" can't be achieved, why not use ctime as the "newness" criterion? In both cases, the solution must be simpler to maintain and more universally useful than the UI capabilities you were depending on.

If I am genuinely misunderstanding something about Room (again, not a user) I'll shut up.

Mine has not done that at all, tags got updated the recently added section of roon does not show it

For those maybe swayed by the posts just before this, I’d like to add that I’ve just had a lovely and effortless time listening to a variety of 24 bit jazz for close on 5 hours today using Roon.

I’ve had about 4 years of the same without obsessing about how many angels can dance on the tip of a needle.

I’ve had about 4 years of the same without obsessing about how many angels can dance on the tip of a needle.

Some more angels to dance on the tip of the iceberg of your sophistication needle. My guess is you're a scroll, point and click user with narrow tastes and a relatively small music collection.
  • Bloody hard to undo conflated namesakes within the UI, even after wading through figuring out which of Karma, Karma, Karma, Karma, Karma, Karma, Karma, Karma, Karma, Karma and Karma is the correct Karma without any visual or other cues from Roon you'll still end up with a few phantom entries in browse and search results with no content behind them and no way to get rid of them
  • Irrelevant, unsorted search results drawn from cloud for crap you don't even have in your local collection. Actual search result you set out to find buried somewhere down a long list of irrelevance
  • Their infrastructure slow, too bad...your search and everything else pulling content from their cloud is going to be slow
  • If they have infrastructure problems it immediately plays out into you having UX issues
  • Want to explore all instances of a song in your collection - sure, no problem. So long as you don't expect the results to be sorted in any meaningful manner. I mean, honestly, why the F would you want to be able to see all instances of song X performed by Y in one place rather than wade through pages of unsorted entries
  • Box sets, WTH are they. You mean you'd like to browse your 30 Years of Chandos box set and be able to see an album name for each disc and see the album cover rather than have to guess what you're wanting to play is disc 14? Get stuffed, keep guessing
  • Countless unidentified albums only by virtue of their metadata provider providing entries with no track listings or everything but track durations. No inference, logic, workflow or prompts to make educated guesses and prompt users for confirmation. It could be as simple as a menu item that takes you to a listing requiring user confirmation that the inference is correct. But no, easier to leave users with 1000's of unidentified albums they can wade through one at a time figuring rather than being able to knock off the low hanging fruit first. And whilst at it, remove all unidentified albums from the Rood Radio population, even if they have genre metadata attached. Wonderful, precisely what I wanted from an automated DJ - exclude anything the herd doesn't play. Awesome.
  • No smart playlist capability, instead forced to listen to the dross spewed by an untunable machine learning algorithm that spews what the Roon herd ingests and relies on genre assignments by their metadata provider, most of which are simply Pop/Rock
  • No concept of users having own collections and not wanting to browse kids' or wife's music. Login with a profile and you're forced into the entire library
  • Still cannot read jpg images every program under the sun can and does read. Pretend they don't understand the problem. A simple fix, they just don't care to fix it
  • no internet, no music. Fantastic, just what I was hoping for.

My guess is you're a scroll, point and click user with narrow tastes and a relatively small music collection.

Fortunately the AP prevents me from explaining what I guess about you from the above.

As a matter of interest, is there a product that meets your criteria without any other major drawbacks?

The Roon board has loads of complaints from people because their particular edge case isn't handled.
  • There's one who complains about it running slowly on his million track library. He doesn't say how he came by that number of tracks.
  • There's another who complains that it won't handle his twenty thousand song playlist - only around fourteen solid days of music.
Yours isn't quite so extreme but it's still very much out there on the margin.

There are some pretty serious issues with Roon - my particular one is that, while it notionally supports user profiles, they all have to share the same Qobuz or Tidal account, which leads to some very odd recommendations when my daughter has been using it.

Yours isn't quite so extreme but it's still very much out there on the margin.

BL76cVA.png

Sce1Mf7.png

There you have it, my needs spelled out by Roon (which you're deeming somewhat extreme). Only I call bull, because when you actually try to use it the way they imply you soon discover it's not really up to the task.

As a matter of interest, is there a product that meets your criteria without any other major drawbacks?
Actually, LMS with Material skin is not far off. With a little enhancement of its data model it'll tick most boxes, and certainly any that Roon does. As things stand it provides much the same information that Roon does, and most of it is click though too.

Being pedantic, the ad above (which has clearly marketing hype) doesn't spell out your need to

select all albums that contain a track by a nominated artist and force a rescan to read-in updated metadata

I can see that might be occasionally useful but there are much bigger issues with that - particularly the attitude of their support team which you've experienced. I'm surprised they didn't tell you the issue was your network.

I've been looking at LMS again recently and the Material skin in particular has brought it on a long way. Having said that,

With a little enhancement of its data model it'll tick most boxes

isn't quite the same as meeting all your requirements.

For me, one of the biggest differentiators is Roon's ability to search across your local and streaming service files in a single search. LMS can do one or the other, but not both simultaneously. On the other hand, LMS's "don't stop the music" using the last.fm autoscrobbler comes up with a much wider variety of songs and artists than Roon Radio which rapidly gets very predictable.

All this and neither of us has mentioned sound quality :)

All this and neither of us has mentioned sound quality :)
:D

isn't quite the same as meeting all your requirements.
That beast doesn't exist and if I live long enough it's my open source retirement project. I'm taking the little time I have to document everything I'd like it to do and ensuring the data model caters for that. It's going to cater for local collections. Anyone wanting lipstick for a streaming service has Roon to cover their needs.

That beast doesn't exist and if I live long enough it's my open source retirement project. I'm taking the little time I have to document everything I'd like it to do and ensuring the data model caters for that. It's going to cater for local collections

You won't live long enough, you're not clever enough on your own and there is absolutely nothing out there to cover all the pedantic needs of individuals.

I don't like Roon but it delivers 95% of my needs....

Job done.

To be honest if lms integrated my local and online libraries I would be tempted. But as far as I can tell it does not so that is that.

advertisement

Back