advertisement

Your experience with Roon

I think I have completly over complecated my roon set up but thats totally like me. Current set up is Fanless Nuc with teddy PSU 1x 1tb M.2 drive and 1x 2.5 4TB SSD. This is my core. I have 2 displays running off this, one 24" touch screen monitor next to my listening position. I love this feature as i feel it helps with the none pysical side of roon. Nice size for browsing and alum and arstist info. I was finding that when i was on my computer i wasnt using it as much and wouldnt sellect as much different music so i thought how can i get round this. Simple choice is remote app or just put roon on the computer to control it right. You would be wrong lol, my mind said just add another touch screen lol so i added a 14" touch screen monitor for my desk so I can get the same experience and it may be over kill but I bloody love it. all I have to do is transfer my own music to the nuc and its complete. I really happy with the system and thr roon side of things. Im really enjoying Qoubuz as well.

My only little gripe with Roon right now is the NUC I have with Rock on it will not show anything on the HDMI tv that is connected. Just the rock info like IP address. I cannot get a 'display' to show. Which I did have when the Mac Mini was the Core.

Also if the house power fails, the Rick will re-power up but not properly unless I unplug the portable USB drive that carries to local music files, and then reboot. And then re-plug the drive back in.

I keep wondering if I have missed something on both these little issues. Other than that I still love the user experience of Roon.

My only little gripe with Roon right now is the NUC I have with Rock on it will not show anything on the HDMI tv that is connected. Just the rock info like IP address. I cannot get a 'display' to show. Which I did have when the Mac Mini was the Core.

Also if the house power fails, the Rick will re-power up but not properly unless I unplug the portable USB drive that carries to local music files, and then reboot. And then re-plug the drive back in.

I keep wondering if I have missed something on both these little issues. Other than that I still love the user experience of Roon.

Don't think the ROCK ever had a display function, it was only ever for installing and then diagnostics.

The display is done via a web browser

http://<<ROCK IP>>:9330/display/

Power failure is one of the biggest problems with Roon and something they don't manage very well, the database runs from RAM so a power fail can corrupt very easily

The USB sounds like a bios boot order issue, go into the bios and change the boot order so that USB is after hard drive

I just have windows running on mine. Stripped all the apps back and it literally has roon server. Roon front end control app and qobuz. This allows me to use my display outputs to my 2 screens and the touch function. All works fine butbi am just running the one roon ready device in the same room.

Thx, Vacuum_Tubes. Got the TV web browser to pick up the display OK.

Boot order sounds about right, F2 I think to get into BIOS. Something to fiddle with.

Hilariously I just found out (by accident) when controlling Roon from the iPad, instead of using the Roon slider/buttons to control volume, the buttons on the side of the iPad work too. That's not controlling the Roon volume which is fixed but controlling the DAC output volume.

Only took 4 years. Maybe its me:rolleyes:

Yeah be careful with that though in the lock screen you can use it but it will jump to where ever it’s at even if it’s max volume

advertisement

Back