advertisement

Your best hifi bargain?

ESL63s purchased faulty for £275, serviced for another £125.
Add new cloth and the wood refinishing etc and call it £500 for cash.

I'm not a great fan of the Garrard 301, but last year I found an almost mint example, complete with original cardboard box, at a local car boot sale. I paid £10. Also from the same source, a mint Naim Nait 2 for £10. Doesn't often happen, I guess I was just lucky!

I would have to say that my best bargin so far has to be my Rega ELA MKIs.

I purchased these direct from Derek Frost of Rega, who confirmed that they are an original pair of R & D, prior to marketing.

Derek kindly advised me that Rega invested £38,000 to research and design the ELA, to which I am now the proud owner of one of those three.

One could take the view that it is a third of £38,000.

IMHO - Bargin, especially as I have had many other MKis aswell, but none have ever sounded as good as my pair. I would have to say that this comes down to teh stunning 'Royd' Driver.

Bargin No. 2 Pioneer CT91a Cassette Deck - Free when collecting an Exposure XI Pre amp. Chap just wanted to get rid of it, came fully boxed.

BNIB M-Dac for £420. I've not actually heard it yet, but I know that it's going to meet my requirements.

Pair of used briks: $250
Naim NAPSC power supply: $300
Logitech SBT: $300
Denon 103-C phono cartridge (new): $100
Hospital grade AC wall outlets: $11 each
Mains and interconnect cables: the free ones that came with the gear

Two Quad II's, Quad 22, Quad FM1 and decoder, all in very good condition, all for £10. Was years ago, but still cheap.

Tannoy DC2000s boxed, mint and perfect working order: £15. Stands to make them taller, a stupendous £90 - 6 times the price!

In fact, the speakers work out to 40p a KG he he he...

Probably a pair of Mission 752's that I bought out of curiosity for £80 off another forum, and sold on 5 months later for £150. Cracking speakers for the money.

My Creek A53 Power Amp for £280 New Old Stock directly from Creek. Cracking amp at ease with speakers 5 times the price.

Pioneer PD609 CD recorder, new from Richer Sounds for just over £100. It makes almost perfect recordings from turntable and tuner. A significant number of my most played CDs are from the PD609. Unbelievable SQ from a budget item, that lives happily in a high-end system.

Nic P

Proac tablette 3 speaker for nothing at a council tip,worked fine. Sold them a year latter for £300! Also another onix oa21 & prototype power supply by apex audio for £100 from gumtree,sounds awesome with my pmc tb2s

A gift of a pair of "constructor" Chartwell LS3/5a speakers in split cabinets. Re-housed in thin wall cabinets from Stirling fetched £1200 form an avid collector in Japan. To qualify for this thread, I did use them for a year or so. They sounded identical to the Rodgers 15 ohm versions bought in the mid '80's and still use.
I an envious of the gems found in boot sales and lifted from skips though.

Pioneer PD609 CD recorder, new from Richer Sounds for just over £100. It makes almost perfect recordings from turntable and tuner. A significant number of my most played CDs are from the PD609. Unbelievable SQ from a budget item, that lives happily in a high-end system.

Nic P

I also got one of these form Richer Sounds - currently using it as a transport into my DAC for CD replay. Sounds very good indeed :)

Lefty

I an envious of the gems found in boot sales and lifted from skips though.

Talking of which one of my friends found an EMT 950 turntable in a skip outside a TV station in Liverpool! I know someone else who found a working Korg MS20 synth in one, so I'll never walk past a skip without peering in now, though I've never found anything.

Can't decide which was my best hi-fi bargain, but in about 1987 bought a nearly mint pair of Chartwell 15 Ohm LS3/5a for £90. Still have them.

advertisement

Back