advertisement

Your best hifi bargain?

Michael L

pfm Member
I reckon mine was the Galaxy 17 I bought for £10 plus postage. OK not all the dipoles are there as it was used in a windy area, but is a cracking piece of kit and really makes me appreciate my Sony ST-A7B tuna.

I once snagged a Naim 72 pre and 140 power amp, immaculate, off loot for £240.

Best I've had were:

Marantz ST17 tuner for £40.
Akai GX95II - £15
Meridian 206 - £120

Probably best of the 3 was teh Akai.

This has been done here before, more than once.

Best Hi-Fi bargain?

A six pack of Carlsberg super strength, Bottle of wine, 5 or 6 glasses of Whiskey.

Take yer pick. Those who know...know. ;)

Leak Troughline for a tenner at St Helens car booty (in the days before Ebay). My best one was a pair of B&W DM7's with a ciggy burn on the top of one of the cabinets, but working perfectly - also an absolute steal at a tenner. And another pair of B&Ws. D4's (£10), currently residing at my parent's house on the end of an ancient but trusty Ferrograph F307 amp - £15.
Car bootys were a gamble though. Picked up an Armstrong 600 series receiver from there for £20 and was assured it was working fine. Lying b*****d!
Ones that got away included a Cambridge Audio P60 integrated and matching tuner. Just didn't have enough spare to afford his asking price and he wouldn't budge. Didn't blame him to be honest. Think he was asking £60, but we'd spent up a lot of our budget, and Leak Sandwichs. The chap selling them knew something about them and so consequently, that was reflected in his asking price, plus they were sold as seen. Too risky!

A broken late model A&R A60 I snagged on eBay for less than £40. Add the cost of components following Rob's A60 Service thread plus a couple of output trannies and it's a bargain. It came with a moving coil board too, so it sits in an LP12/Lingo/Ekos/Troika, A60, Epos ES11 system. Not bad at all. And no doubt the front end cost skew would please Ivor ...

Too many to mention - a Creek T40 in Theft Converters for £10, all my LP12s that have yielded a profit, but best of all prob a £50 Thorens TD165 that I swapped for a 401 with a 3009 that I still own.

Full set of Quad valve amps- pre-amp, tuner, 2 power amps for £100.

The dealer even fitted a pair of phono sockets to the power amps so they could be used with another pre-amp and replaced some of the older components in them.

My best by far is my eBay Tannoy deal: Thorens TD-150, SME 3009 S2 Imp, Quad FM2/33/303, a pair of 15" Tannoy Monitor Golds and a Technics cassette deck for a 'buy it now' of £130. It was described as 'Radiogram'.

Can't compete with that but Expo VI, VII, Super VIII £220 - not bad

Current spec OrbeSE + Graham 2.0 with .2 upgrade £1600

Those were the days (only a couple or 3 years back)

Now it's more like Naim Nait £1000

a Tuner off ebay for a quid, after a prompt by a kind chap on pfm (thank you whoever you are).

Close is my CD3 with S1 chip which I'm told is absolutely mint. And I bought a car stereo on a boot sale at the end of the day for a quid on the understanding I didn't sell it on - not quite hifi but I had some serious musical value out of it.

Currently listening to...

Toshiba direct drive turntable £10
Creek CAS4040 with cover missing on one button £20
JBL L40s £50 + the cost of a replacement foam ring

The DL110 mounted in the deck cost about the same as the rest put together! :)

I'm always surprised how affordable vintage JBLs are in the UK (when they turn up). I had a lovely pair of L36s a while back that were £30 and went for about the same when I sold them on... these things go for about £700 in Tokyo!

Theft Converters

had my own from that place, audiolab 8000P for £70, I had no idea what it actually was when I bought it, just that it did what I needed, was shocked when it came to selling it.

a pity, smash combusters et al are all interneted up now and actually have a clue :(

A box full of linn parts for £60. Inside was an original LP12 power supply, a valhalla, motor, inner platter, bearing, welded subchassis, arm cable, black springs and bolts.
Then there was a pair of mint Neat Mystique IIs for £200. The seller gave me the cables too as they had no further use for them.....a bin bag containing 40m of QED Silver Anniversary!
Or the mint Trio KT 8005 with all the original packaging and manual for a tenner from a charity shop.

A box full of linn parts for £60.

I bought a box of LP12 parts for £50, which was actually the whole deck apart from the plinth and lid! New, it had never been used!! It's the deck I use now.

But I think Tony's one is hard to beat, that's an awesome bargain.

advertisement

Back