advertisement

Your 10 years old Naim kit is worthless , don't bother ...

I think it is a bit more difficult in the U.S. to get naim repaired outside of naim channels. At least the brand of caps seem to be hard to find. I don't know about the other bits and pieces. Would repair and recap using slightly different parts be the same? I honestly don't know.
Re-capping should really only involve the big electrolytics. The (in)famous Naim tantalums either work or fail, they don't really wear out.
If it is to be sold, recapping will cost more than the increase in value. If it is a keeper, replacing with modern equivalent but not perfect size match parts will have negligible effect on the sound. Failing electrolytics don't just cause hum, I have heard a muddled, distorted bass on one of my amplifiers

It's an early Nait 5i . I bought it "incidentally" , listened to it for a while and decided to sell since I don't really need another amp although 5i is a decent one, probably worth keeping.
I would not even bother posting about it. But ,an almost panicky reaction of perspective buyer who backed out after a call to Naim Service center in Chicago where he spoke to I think Christ West made me wonder about mental condition of Naim followers. Geez , I can do the recap myself for $40 and I know it will sound little different . The caps differ a little bit from those used 10 years ago. At least from now on I will know how to approach the business of buying used Naim - 10 years or older ?? Dear sir, send me a check for $50 and your worthless box and I'll make sure it is properly disposed.

My experience with the 'new' Naim USA was not good, I would not entertain sending anything to them for servicing.

limono,

neiljadman may be able to help. He's based in the U.S. and I believe he knows the old Naim circuits inside out.

Joe

Didn't hear much of a difference when a CB HiCap came back after a full service.
There was a marginal difference between a fully rebuilt Nait-2 and one without a service. I just had the feeling that one without the service might go up in smokes. Just a feeling.

Two other people that have had their Nac72s completely rebuilt thought there wasn't much of a difference before and after - certainly not enough to justify the outlay.

Service in the UK isn't that expensive (Class-A comes to mind) and I can see spending the money on service if I was in the UK.

Transformers get old too, don't they?

Joe
I don't think I need any help nor the amp in question does. It is in pristine cosmetic condition and it sounds just fine for a budget amp.
I may take my ESR meter and measure those caps after all.
Thanks, L

Transformers get old too, don't they?
Not really. Everything gets old, sure, but while ever a trafo's insulation remains sound it will work as well as it always did and sound the same as it always has. The problem with old transformers is that the shellac insulation used on the copper windings dries out and cracks with age. You then risk it going short circuit. This isn't going to happen in less than about 50 years though, and more with modern equipment.

Two other people that have had their Nac72s completely rebuilt thought there wasn't much of a difference before and after - certainly not enough to justify the outlay.

For the cost of a 72 service (which, in my opinion, is unecesary anyway) you can replace all the internal boards with brand new ones from Avondale, Neil Jadman or Ryan Sound Labs.

Service in the UK isn't that expensive (Class-A comes to mind) and I can see spending the money on service if I was in the UK.

Well it depends what you call expensive...

Didn't hear much of a difference when a CB HiCap came back after a full service.

My 32.5, HiCap and 135s did not sound good after service.
Took around 2 weeks (from memory) before they sound good and they were better than they had been before the service

About 20 years from new to service so probably did need looking at !

There was a marginal difference between a fully rebuilt Nait-2 and one without a service.

Really ! - Not my experience but the gear in Q. may differ in age and need for service, different room, source, time for settling down etc.. so everything with a pinch of s..., I had several Naits 1+2 which basically was much better performing after a full service, night and day really when they were runned in.

I've had an old hicap which basically was delivering a bad performance, again the result of a full service was like having a complete different PSU.

My experience with CB and Olive Naim is that voltage settings may well drift off after many years left on 24/7 as is still the trend. later caps may well not need replacing, but perhaps a set up internally would definitely reduce the distortion these amps are prone to, especially when they 'go off.'

If I get my CB Nait 2 done, I'd be tempted to send it to Class A, not least because they have a standard spec for what they replace, new caps, etc. The last Nait 2 I sent to Naim came back with a note saying that nothing really needed doing to it. That may have been right, but I still had to fork out for the privilege of being told...

That's more or less what local Naim dealer and service center told perspective buyer of my approx -9-10 years old cheapest Naim integrated amp. They said it would at very least need $300 re-cap and preferably $600-900 board replacement since the one which is in the amp is totally obsolete.
Was it always like that with Naim or it's just a recent trend ??
Rgrds, L

I have used a 25 years old, never serviced Nac42.5/NAP140 combo and it always sounded good. This Naim recap/re-hab/refurbish hype can be totally overlooked in my opinion. When something works, leave it alone; when it breaks down, ask for a quote to repair it, then repair it or thrash it.

Best
M

I mean, I'm currently using a 40-years old DUAL CV60 integrated to replay LPs, it certainly has some minor issues (potentiometers slightly crackling and the sort), but it sounds ok. When its life cycle is over, I'll say goodbye to it. Any late 80s Nait still has 15 years ahead of honorable use before it's been working for 40 years..
Why this thing with Naim that makes it seem like it has to last for all eternity?

So interesting to read these comments and I've touched on it in another thread, how exactly do you tell a PS needs a service or a power amp if you've not got a freshly serviced one to try it against?

I've no doubt some lads do hear a difference and so might I but it'd be tempting to say you had even if you weren't sure after shelling out maybe £600.

Is the rule of thumb "If it sounds good-leave alone"?

Not knocking Naim or anyone for these beliefs though as most "premium" products seem to have the mystique of expensive servicing attached to them.

Look at watches, OH bought me a Tag I'd really wanted a few years back for my birthday, reading the forums it'd collapse on your wrist without a service...........and woe betide you changing batteries without changing "all seals".

So bi annually I had this done by Tag.......stupid prices but I treasured what OH had bought me.
It was only when talking to a young lad who runs a cheapo market stall fixing cheap watches that I changed my views. He does it now for £5 quid a time:D
That includes batteries seals and a clean and takes 10 minutes..............the watch has never lost more than 20 seconds a year since I've had it. OK I may be a mug but I trust him 1000%

Now don't even mention "complete fluid changes" on some cars service intervals:mad:

Not knocking Naim or anyone for these beliefs though as most "premium" products seem to have the mystique of expensive servicing attached to them.
Badly designed electronics, or something trying to just too much for the available technology can need frequent recalibration and adjustment. Tektronix D83 oscilloscope triggering stopped working if you looked at it funny.

As far as I know, no Naim equipment falls in this category

Now don't even mention "complete fluid changes" on some cars service intervals:mad:
This is real as antifreeze goes off, losing its effect and brake fluid absorbs water over time, boiling on long hills

Badly designed electronics, or something trying to just too much for the available technology can need frequent recalibration and adjustment. Tektronix D83 oscilloscope triggering stopped working if you looked at it funny.

As far as I know, no Naim equipment falls in this category

This is real as antifreeze goes off, losing its effect and brake fluid absorbs water over time, boiling on long hills

Yup, been there done that.

That's more or less what local Naim dealer and service center told perspective buyer of my approx -9-10 years old cheapest Naim integrated amp. They said it would at very least need $300 re-cap and preferably $600-900 board replacement since the one which is in the amp is totally obsolete.
Was it always like that with Naim or it's just a recent trend ??
Rgrds, L

My Prime Design Class AB amplifier is 18 years old and still sounds as good or better bthan any of the modern ampliers I have tried at Home this includes the Devialet as for Class D I am completely allergic to them.

advertisement

Back