advertisement

Your 10 years old Naim kit is worthless , don't bother ...

limono

pfm Member
That's more or less what local Naim dealer and service center told perspective buyer of my approx -9-10 years old cheapest Naim integrated amp. They said it would at very least need $300 re-cap and preferably $600-900 board replacement since the one which is in the amp is totally obsolete.
Was it always like that with Naim or it's just a recent trend ??
Rgrds, L

It would be nice to the model Nait you're talking about but I'll assume its a Nait 5i or later. Earlier Naits used stuffed boards if I recall correctly and should, I would think, not require the replacement of a full board. Nait 5i and later used surface mount technology on a large master board.

Recap price sounds about right and you should have no reason to replace the board unless you're having major problems. Did you talk to Chris West at AVoption? He's the only answer I'd trust but I don't find the estimates you mention a problem. A board replacement is essentially a new amp. Ten years enjoyment for the cost of a Nait 5i is a pretty good audio bargain.

I have a 5i which, come to think of it, must be about the age you note. Still sounds great and the later ones are supposed to be better still.

Dump your dealer and don't look back!

I prefer vintage NAIM gear to the new stuff, it sounds every bit as good and looks way cooler!

Your Pal from Sunny Alberta

Louballoo

Incidentally Vuk, why "louballoo"?

I have both a CB Nait 2, and a Nait XS-2. They have different virtues, and I'm happy having both. The 2 is a bit more musical, more explicit, less hi-fi, looks cute. The XS has way more oomph, and finesse. The 2 needs a service (say £200). The XS won't, for the best part of ten years.

In fairness if its a nait 3 or similar the dealer has a good point, you can pick them up for peanuts.

That's more or less what local Naim dealer and service center told perspective buyer of my approx -9-10 years old cheapest Naim integrated amp. They said it would at very least need $300 re-cap and preferably $600-900 board replacement since the one which is in the amp is totally obsolete.
Rgrds, L
Well, if I understood the situation correctly, it *is* a potential case of his sale or yours ...

One of our lots Naim CD5 went belly up. I think power supply went belly up plus some board or other. He was told by Naim it was BER. He sold it as faulty , for spare parts. He was surprised how much he got for it.
You could do this , then buy another , if they are readily available ?

One of our lots Naim CD5 went belly up. I think power supply went belly up plus some board or other. He was told by Naim it was BER. He sold it as faulty , for spare parts. He was surprised how much he got for it.
You could do this , then buy another , if they are readily available ?
Not really comparable though. A blown power supply can easily destroy all of the (probably unobtainable) digital ICs in a CD5. The only things in a traditional amplifier that are hard to substitute are the pots and switches.

To be absolutely honest I would seriously question whether a 10-year-old amp actually needs servicing.

Yes the early naim gear from the 70’s and early eighties may have electrolytic caps that are not quite perfect. However, by the late eighties early nineties electronic component manufacturing was much better and components will be much more reliable.

I would keep using your maim gear and enjoy it as it is, I still feel that this whole maim servicing requirement every 10 years is a form of gouging. There are many other hi-fi brands that seem to function quite happily for 20 years and longer requiring nothing more than a wipe over with a cleaning cloth.

LPSpinner.

10 years old might need a recap
$300 is not bad to keep you going for at least another 10 years

As for replacing the rest. No thanks

If you were to sell that someone would pay a good price and be happy.

This dealer sounds like one to avoid

Rgrds, L

Whatever amp it is put it up for sale here or send it to Class A/Darran for service(if you intend to keep it) within the next years.

Early Nait 5i or the original 5(very different to 5i), I doubt any of these really are on the edge of service need provided its fully functioning and not getting hot.

Your dealer trend has clearly zero interest in a deal between you and others(as long as he's not getting any sales)

Not really comparable though. A blown power supply can easily destroy all of the (probably unobtainable) digital ICs in a CD5. The only things in a traditional amplifier that are hard to substitute are the pots and switches.

Ooops. I misread the post. Thought the Amp was faulty.
If working OK,I'd just leave well alone , or get a local Service Engineer to fit some new main PS caps of a suitable rating.

Unless you have an obvious fault there is probably nothing wrong with your Nait requiring such an expensive service.

The 10 year service thing is largely precautionary and very conservative, and most of the capacitors removed or junked are still perfectly ok.

My rule of thumb with any servicing of SS equipment is to not recommend cap replacement for items <15 years old unless there are obvious issues. And I don't recommend blanket replacement of caps unless you've hit the 20 year mark, and not always then.

Have you noticed the Nait producing more noise or hum in recent months?
If not and all else seem ok, keep using it and come back in 5 years, perhaps even 10.

Robert's suggestion is on the money.
As regards your dealer, well, he would say that, wouldn't he? It's just crap dealer syndrome. I once went to a dealer asking for a lead to connect a Quad 33-303 to a CD player. His response? "Well yes, but why would you bother?" I didn't get a lead, when I did it blew away everything he had in his shop at under £1k. Tosser. I didn't go back. He could equally well have made his point by saying "yes I have. They are getting little old now though, time marches on after all, I've got something here that's a much better proposition, and brand new." But he didn't.

$300 recap for an item maybe worth $350, I'm assuming this in in pounds. Could it make a nice paperweight or boat anchor. I have a friend up against this right now. The cost of repair and recap of his 250 is very near to the total value of the amp. Saying that he doesn't need such an expensive repair is no help. He has no other choice if he wants to listen. He has a full on naim system so not much choice but to go ahead with repair. But certainly feels they have him by the ****.

Rgrds, L

Sounds like your dealer is desperate to sell something new rather than something second hand.

$300 recap for an item maybe worth $350, I'm assuming this in in pounds. Could it make a nice paperweight or boat anchor. I have a friend up against this right now. The cost of repair and recap of his 250 is very near to the total value of the amp. Saying that he doesn't need such an expensive repair is no help. He has no other choice if he wants to listen. He has a full on naim system so not much choice but to go ahead with repair. But certainly feels they have him by the ****.
They don't have anyone by anything. He can find another repairer. I know one who will recap an amp for £50 and parts.

If he doesn't believe that anyone other than a dealer can service his pride and joy then that's his affair and his to live with. Likewise resale value, does he intend to keep it or sell? If the former, then who cares? If the latter, sell at an unserviced price.

They don't have anyone by anything. He can find another repairer. I know one who will recap an amp for £50 and parts.

If he doesn't believe that anyone other than a dealer.

I think it is a bit more difficult in the U.S. to get naim repaired outside of naim channels. At least the brand of caps seem to be hard to find. I don't know about the other bits and pieces. Would repair and recap using slightly different parts be the same? I honestly don't know.

You get into a cable type debate very quickly!
Engineers will say a spec is a spec - a tant cap having a set of characteristics is independent of brand. Others will say that changing brand changes sound and makes it no longer a naim. Changing cap type certainly changes sound, this may be for better or worse. You are then into modifying. Is it better or not?

Any repairer can do the physical work. As for brands of caps, I would have thought they were widely available over the net. Certainly equivalents will be. You will want to check the specs match though.

Would that I were 20 years younger - I'd emigrate then take these sharks to the cleaners

Stories like this make my p**s boil and at the same time do not a lot of good for Stonehenge Central

advertisement

Back