advertisement

Your 10 Best Albums Of All Time

maccavelli

pfm Member
In no particular order, they could be musically rewarding, a nostalgic reminder of a time past.
A reminder of a love of your life or a time in your life, whatever, these are my top ten albums of all time - in no particular order, ask me tomorrow and the list may be slightly different . . . what are yours?
Only one album per artist, maybe a line or two for a description.

1. Thomas Dolby - The Golden Age of Wireless
Every track is a killer. Nearly a perfect album of it's type. Fairly simple songs, all characterful
2. Scritti Politti - Cupid and Pysche '85

I'd never experienced a pop album like it, very clever too. A purple patch album. The Word Girl. It's like porcelain art in your front room.

3. Dire Straits - Love Over Gold
OK Brothers In Arms is up there too but I always loved Industrial Disease when I was a kid! They were my favourite, hard to pick out my favourite, the first album is arguably the best quality, as it often is with artists.
4. Prefab Sprout - Steve McQueen
They won't make a better album, I didn't realise the Thomas Dolby connection at first, Faron Young, Bonny, When Love Breaks Down, great stuff
5. Roger Waters - Amused to Death

I'm not a lover of Pink Floyd, this album eclipses them all as far as I'm concerned, his other solo stuff doesn't reach this level. Epic.
6. Mr Mister - Welcome to the Real World
When I was 15 I played and played it, never got bored of it, Broken Wings, Kyrie . . . One of the first albums that switched me on to music
7. John McLaughlin Trio - Que Alegria
I first saw this guy on an old German satellite channel - RTL - performing live, his ability to play was remarkable, the musical content of this album is his best realised of his 80's stuff.
8. David Sylvian - Dead Bees On A Cake

Such a well realised album, it takes a while of making music to arrive at this, the construction of the tracks, a real maturity
9. Pat Metheny Group - Letter From Home

I've always liked PM, it was hard to pick out my favourite but this album started it all for me
10. Duran Duran - 'The Wedding Album'

I hated Duran when I was at school, a girls band for sure. Ordinary World changed that to me, plus I was slightly older. I played it to death, I still like it now, all of it

I could go on . . . The Stone Roses, Crowded House, Chicane (Far from the Maddening Crowds), Kate Bush, Acoustic Alchemy, more David Sylvian . . .

I only have five:

1. Bryan Adams – Waking up the Neighbours

I had heard everything i do on the radio and liked it so decided to buy this album. I wasn't really a Bryan Adams fan till i bought this album now he is my favourite artist ever . I now own all his albums due to the pure amazing excellent quality of this one album. Every song is different and equally brilliant and even after owning it a couple of years it never tires and the songs still remain as wonderful today as they did then. Everything i do didn't spend 18 weeks at number one without a reason,i still remember dancing to it at my school prom and it holds a special meaning to me. Depend on me, is ya mamma gonna miss ya, not guily, there will never be another tonight and house arrest are pure class pop/rock songs. I advise every Adams fan to buy it as it doesn't disappoint.Well done Bryan. You ROCK!!

2. Chris Rea – The Road to Hell

The album which alerted a whole new generation of fans to Chris' phenomenal songwriting talent, "The Road To Hell" was, without any doubt, the last great album of the 1980s. Opener "The Road To Hell Part I" is a slow, gentle piece which runs into - and starkly contrast - the following track, "The Road To Hell Part II", a mellow, laid-back, but pensive rock ballad, inspired by a journey around the funky M25 while reminiscing about his mother's death

3. Phil Collins – No Jacket Required

All Phil Collins fans should have this CD in their collection. A fantastic opening number,Sussudio, starts this album and it doesn't look back. It's a fast, furious, energetic and upbeat track. I really enjoy this song as it makes you want to get up and dance round the living room! It then moves on to a much slower number One More Night, which is you're feeling under the weather, can be emotional and moving. Don't Lost My Number is again another lively full-of-life track as is Who Said I Would. A real get-up-and go album.

4. Whitney Houston – Whitney Houston

Whitney Houston exploded onto the music scene in early 1985, signing a deal with Arista Records, under the guidance of Clive Davis. Her self-titled debut, released that year was the beginning of a fruitful career and lapped up some of Whitneys very best work to date.

Consistent, solid and high quality work from one of the greatest singers of our era, it is an indeed timeless classic and stands as some of her most memorable work.

5. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

One of the best albums ever. True, it did not make any changes, set new boundries or have an exciting new concept
(sgt peppers and associated rubbish), but it does harbour some of the best music and lyrics ever recorded. Behind the singles 'Walk of Life' and 'Money For Nothing' lies a dense layer of mood, soul and pure genius. As with all the great albums there is nothing else quite like it. From the dramatic acoustics of 'The Mans Too Strong' to the peaceful sounds of 'Why Worry' Knopfler seems to have taken every great sound ever invented and placed them all into 9 classic tunes.

If you have never heard beyond the singles then I urge you to listen to the rest of the album.

** Thanks, Amazon - you made me laugh a lot!!

impossible task, here`s ten for now (in an hours time/tommorrow/next week.....it will probably change again !)

1) Revolver....Beatles
2) Highway 61 revisited....Bob Dylan
3) Let it bleed....Rolling stones
4) Trout mask replica....Capt.Beefheart & magic band
5) Blue....Joni Mitchell
6) Songs of love and hate....Leonard Cohen
7) Never mind the bollocks....Sex pistols
8) Unplugged in New York....Nirvana
9) Electric Ladyland....Jimi Hendrix
10) Velvet Underground(the one with Warhols bannana)....Velvet Underground

ooops.......forgot albums by Neil Young,Tom Waits,Clash,Patti Smith,Smiths............told you it was impossible !

There is only one: No Parlez by Paul Young.

I'm trying hard to track this down on vinyl - anyone have any pointers?

There is only one: No Parlez by Paul Young.

I'm trying hard to track this down on vinyl - anyone have any pointers?

Mike is that the one with the definitive version of Love Will Tear Us Apart on it? I think I may be able to help you......

Cheers

Rich

Well it would have to be topped by 'The Pros and Cons of Hitch-hiking', but then it gets tough. I can't decide between 'The Wall' and 'The Final Cut'.

The Paul Young gag is pretty funny, you guys are so cool.

Paul

My top 3 are:

1 Thriller by Michael Jackson

2 Touch Me by Gary Glitter

3 Try Something Different by Jonathan King

Well it would have to be topped by 'The Pros and Cons of Hitch-hiking', but then it gets tough. I can't decide between 'The Wall' and 'The Final Cut'.

The Paul Young gag is pretty funny, you guys are so cool.

Paul

Not as funny as the Pink Floyd gag though.

Cheers

Rich

This is way to difficult. There would have to be some Hawkwind - Space Ritual, definitely some Gong - maybe Camembert, definitely some Steely Dan - Aja, and then it really gets difficult - Yes, Spock's Beard, Rush, Porcupine Tree, Neil Young all come to mind with worthy titles.

In no particular order--

Jeff Buckley -- Grace
Nick Drake -- Pink Moon
Sun Kil Moon -- Ghosts of the Great Highway
DJ Shadow -- Endtroducing
Beatles -- Revolver
Aphex Twin -- Druqks
David Bowie -- Hunky Dory
Boards of Canada -- Music Has the Right to Children
Slint -- Spiderland

I'm sticking with nine because it's choosing the last one which is hardest, it means rejecting too many other things...

let's have a proper go then!

Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman
Radiohead - The Bends
Turin brakes - The Optimist
Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline
Led Zeppelin - 2
Otis Redding - Otis Blue
White Stripes - White Blood Cells
Nirvana - Nevermind

But this will change by next week!