advertisement

ye gads a cad'

Raj,

Joe, It really is cheap as chips....
Yeah, I imagine that old ICs will probably never achieve the cult-like status of new old stock Mullard or Telefunken tubes, but all the same if you could big up the Philips chip in my ancient CD player I'd appreciate it.

Whether a huge profit or an imagined upgrade, I'll take either.

Joe

Raj,

Yeah, I imagine that old ICs will probably never achieve the cult-like status of new old stock Mullard or Telefunken tubes, but all the same if you could big up the Philips chip in my ancient CD player I'd appreciate it.

Whether a huge profit or an imagined upgrade, I'll take either.

Joe

i can bless it for you joe... but if you only have one chip it's gonna be 16x worse than this other guys gadget..... :D

Does anyone know what the Naim CD2 uses? I seem to recall reading that it uses the Philips double crown 1541.

Joe

The CD2 definitely used the 1541 chip Joe. Not sure about which variant though - you may be right about a double crown.

regards,

dave

Chaps,

Big up only. Knock down sows seeds of doubt.

------------------

Dave,

I found a pic of the CD2's DAC chip from an eBay auction. It says TDA1541A S1, so single crown?

1ffqzq.jpg

Joe

P.S. Is this the Holy Grail of Philips chips?

svhtt0.jpg

What's the betting that measured resolution from that chip array is nothing like claimed?

No its not its the most fantastically brilliant sounding chip in the known universe because Naimlinnkrell uses them in their new smartphone and you can always tell its a really good one of the batch because Phillips used to put a special code in it that's plays chopsticks backwards when you connect pin 5 to mains voltage...

I recon these beasts sound different when its a full moon and party time. In fact I know things always sound better at an FMP. Its great being able reinvent perfection every few weeks.

[YOUTUBE]r03acfTW-6g[/YOUTUBE]

Has anyone tried his DAC with different firmware? I am told It totally changes its presentation and is a completely different beast? I have asked them I will buy it if they tweak the firmware to make it sound more... more... Koetsu like and for the cost of an Urushi the software update will arrive in a wooden box with calligraphy and the USB stick will be Urushi coated and custom lacquered and buffed by one of teddy ray's pin up boys...

I am super super excited.

Like I said, the world is long overdue for a FiiO D3 in a resin-filled solid milled anodized ally case containing an Apple iphone power supply.

/)

this.

fox don't worry about raj, he just reads the data sheets , he doesn't have the imagination and amount of open mindedness required to get the best 'sound'

by the way the best version of the dac comes in a purpleheart wood case supplied by these guys....

http://www.kiseki-eu.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=248:..

oh and something about samurai swords and being the last man alive with these traditional skills....

advertisement

Back