advertisement

Yamaha YP800 - restoration

Yes, positioning the tip at the overhang distance past the exact centre of the spindle is the classic fast, set and forget method, although this can be a bit awkward in practice. One useful tip (pun) is to subtract half of the spindle diameter from the overhang number and measure that far past the far side of the spindle to the stylus tip. Have the ruler set on edge immediately the other side of the spindle and take care wrt parallax error. The stylus need not be lowered onto the platter or record, just up on the raised cueing platform, or hand held if you feel comfortable doing so.

Alternatively, have you got one these in your spares box?

45-rpm-record-insert-adapters-yellow-300x300.jpg

Last edited:
The 45rpm adapter method is looking better after seeing this...

2919b352-8da7-430e-b03d-b299d169b314-original.jpg

The 'ridge' that they refer to in the user manual appears to be defined by the rearward edge of the two rectangular depressions that are located forward of the slots. Easy to confirm by fitting the headshell to the tonearm without the cartridge installed and then swinging the arm in over the spindle and taking a measure.

The 45rpm adapter method got me thinking of the following figures...

45rpm single centre hole diameter = 1.5" (38.1mm)
Divided by 2 = .75" (19.05mm)
Typical turntable spindle diameter* = 7.1 - 7.2mm (RIAA dimensional standard for 7", 10" and 12" records is 0.286" + 0.001" -0.002")
Typical turntable spindle radius = 3.55 - 3.60mm
Median turntable spindle radius = 3.575mm

19.05mm - 3.55mm = 15.5mm
19.05mm - 3.575mm = 15.475mm
19.05mm - 3.60mm = 15.45mm

The 'ring' round the top of the Yamaha 45rpm single adapter is likely .5mm in from the outer edge all round.

Therefore an old snap in 45rpm single adapter would make a reasonably accurate overhang gauge; .45 to .50mm over won't make a difference worth calculating, although it would be easy enough to mark the exact spot with a fine point Sharpie.

* Rega's are a hair on the narrow side, Japan Inc and Dual decks are mostly right on the money, and Thorens are such close tolerance that they often won't let go of the bloody record!

Last edited:
I have loads of standard 45mm adapters so should not be a problem.

I will attempt to fit it first time and use both methods of calculation, ie overhang and align on head shell, and see if they are the same. After which I will ask the gentleman who is fitting a cartridge to another deck for me to give it a once over.

Thanks for all your assistance, it has been most interesting.

I will post pics when Yamaha is in its new home, next to the Clearaudio and ready for a duel.
I am really looking forward to playing the records I purchased when I was using the Yam. First on though will be Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues, followed by
all my mid 70's purchases, I can't wait, no proper sounding vibes for 3 weeks now, could be another 4/5 before it is all up and running.

Bloss:(

Rega's are a hair on the narrow side, Japan Inc and Dual decks are mostly right on the money, and Thorens are such close tolerance that they often won't let go of the bloody record!

Having briefly looked after a TD125 MkII that was on its way to live with my sister, I can confirm this. I bought her a Parker ballpoint pen with which to perform gentle spindle hole enlargement on records that are a little too close to spec for comfort.

advertisement

Back