advertisement

Yamaha as-701 Vs Naim Naits

G.smith310

pfm Member
Happy weekend all

I have a Naim nait 5i-2 and a Naim nait xs driving proac tablette 2000.

I have always been fascinated by Yamaha , and have got the urge to try out the as-701

Has anyone here had a chance to one of the naims and also the Yamaha that could comment ?

I'm happy with my Proacs but when I get more space, I'd like something a bit bigger. Probably something from Dynaudio.

So really the question is also ; does anyone know if Yamaha will drive the tablette worse/better/differently to the naim nait ?

Thanks !

The A-S701 has a 4 Ohm speaker selection that should allow it to drive anything at far higher power than the Nait.
which balance you prefer is down to personal choice, I like the Yamaha sound.

The recent Yamaha amps are quite good and represent good value for money, they will probably drive your proacs fine, if you like the sound of the naim and proac together the Yamaha may be quite a different presentation? I would listen first before committing to anything.

Consensus is that the yammy could drive almost anything.

Could anyone describe the presentation compared to the naim sound? I will be buying used so listening isn't really an option.

I'm particularly wondering about the energy / speed and thickness in the lower freqiencies.

Gosh, the Yamaha looks great in silver

Also, you gotta love having tone controls. I'd rather just turn a knob than have to fret over changing cables, speakers, sources, etc. to tweak the sound.

The Yamaha’s are more than quite good IMO. I ran a AS 501 for a while and it was a solid foundation for my kit. Now running an 803D. Lovely great value Network amp and already bringing more out of my system. Underrated gems IMO.

Energy, speed and thick lower frequency = Supernait.
And it will drive anything you throw at it.
More speed, energy and deep low frequencies : add an Hicap.

I used both a 501 and 701 for an extended duration. Good amps both, phono stages less so, if applicable to your situation - a bit dull and muddy sounding.

Enjoyed the headphone out with HD600's - think it's just a resistor in line (if that's the correct terminology?), so tonnes of power and high impedance.

Happy weekend all

I have a Naim nait 5i-2 and a Naim nait xs driving proac tablette 2000.

I have always been fascinated by Yamaha , and have got the urge to try out the as-701

Has anyone here had a chance to one of the naims and also the Yamaha that could comment ?

I'm happy with my Proacs but when I get more space, I'd like something a bit bigger. Probably something from Dynaudio.

So really the question is also ; does anyone know if Yamaha will drive the tablette worse/better/differently to the naim nait ?

Thanks !

Whats the source ?

I used both a 501 and 701 for an extended duration. Good amps both, phono stages less so, if applicable to your situation - a bit dull and muddy sounding.

Enjoyed the headphone out with HD600's - think it's just a resistor in line (if that's the correct terminology?), so tonnes of power and high impedance.
Phono stages are competent enough and it does better my previous best budget CA phono amp but I prefer to put my efforts into cd, radio and streaming really. I like vinyl but don’t want spend more on it really.

I'm a big Yammie and Naim fan and could live with either. In general, Yamahas are slightly on the warmer side of neutral (though less so with the newer amps) and the newer Naims would tend to a slightly bolder delivery. All much of a muchness. If I had to downsize to a single small new system then I would audition an RN-803D as a serious contender for best cost/feature/performance, and based from my previous happy ownership of the model beneath it. There is a video review somewhere on the net where they say it's as good as a Naim Uniti Atom. As a previous SuperNait + Avondale PS owner I can believe that.

I wish....

Chrome cast audio , using a topping DAC . Perhaps one day also a record player ! Not definitely though so focusing on steaming sources for now.

I'd forget anything about amp changes, you allready have two excellent ones
Get source sorted, no amp can improve a mediocre source

I'm a big Yammie and Naim fan and could live with either. In general, Yamahas are slightly on the warmer side of neutral (though less so with the newer amps) and the newer Naims would tend to a slightly bolder delivery. All much of a muchness. If I had to downsize to a single small new system then I would audition an RN-803D as a serious contender for best cost/feature/performance, and based from my previous happy ownership of the model beneath it. There is a video review somewhere on the net where they say it's as good as a Naim Uniti Atom. As a previous SuperNait + Avondale PS owner I can believe that.
I would say the newer ones are nearer to neutral.Still the merest hint of warmth perhaps.I now have the 803D and concur with your views.It really is a well balanced piece of kit with performance that is consistent across each output.I’m quietly impressed with the tuner which is making my vintage Yammy tremble. The streaming facility is also nudging my beloved Squeezebox Touch.What a callous ba****d this Yammy is!

Last edited:
Yes I agree the newer generation are more neutral. I recall an early Yamaha amp I had, and it was absolutely lovely in my bedsit system back in the 1980's with a set of Diamond IIs, and later especially so with those Missions with the wrap around grilles. I sold the Yamaha and Missions to a mate, and after I installed it in his home, I almost took them back!

Well you knew that statement was coming!

Surprised i survived 14 questions :)

In all honesty it's good advice. But at the moment about only about 40% of the value of my system is in speakers.

I definitely believe speakere make by far the biggest impact so my target would be something like the Yamaha and some dynaudio focus 160 and perhaps then work on the source.

Feeling good about the appreciation for the sound of the Yamaha. My biggest concern was that they might sound a lot worse than the naim Naits.

Thankfully theres a lot of time these days to research !

FWIW not all vintage Yamaha tilts to the warmer side of neutral. The CA-x00 and CR-x00 series of amps and receivers do but the subsequent CR-x20 series are leaner sounding IMO. I haven't heard the CA-x10 series of amps but I'd expect them to share the CR-x20 sonic signature given they both succeeded the earlier x00 ranges.

EDIT - When I say "warmer side of neutral" I don't mean fat and syrupy like some other amps/receivers of that era, just a touch fuller and smoother.

advertisement

Back