advertisement

XLR Interconnects advice...

theparallaxview

pfm Member
Hi

Some help for a noob on this topic ;) Anyone have any advice on XLR interconnects - what to buy, how much to spend please? Found some useful but old threads on here and conflicting info online, and a great variety of prices, so interested in what people think.

I suggest try em and see. I have fancy silver ones - Audio Synthesis and Kimber and plenty of vanilla copper ones too. I use very long 'microphone' balanced cables from a guitar store for the pre to powers and they sound good. You can't really go wrong with modestly priced pro audio cables in a balanced system. Silver does shift the tonality though

Klotz or Van Damme classic mic cables with Neutrik connectors do the job perfectly well. The star quad varieties of both cables offer better RF/noise immunity.
Both brands have premium range cables if that floats your boat but will still come in at 10% the cost of audiofool leads.

Slightly OT but what's the purpose of balanced connections in home gear?

I understand why they're used in long runs in electrically noisey environments (and also the benefits of a break-before-make connector for things like mic phantom power) but I wonder if they're overkill in a typical hi-fi.

That said, a good XLR connector does click reassuringly into place :)

I understand why they're used in long runs in electrically noisey environments (and also the benefits of a break-before-make connector for things like mic phantom power) but I wonder if they're overkill in a typical hi-fi.

Look at the issue from the other side. What advantages do RCA phono leads offer ?

ANSWER = NONE

I need 3M lengths from Pre to Mono amps how much would good quality RCA leads cost £ 500/1000 ?

My Van Damme starquad/ Neutrik cost around £25 each...

Another thumbs up for Van Damme Starquad with Neutrik connectors from Designcable.

£13.81 for 1m and every bit as good as my Linn Silver XLR's costing £200!

I've tried that Van damme cable 5 metre pair between pre and power and it was a disaster. killed the music and was plain boring. I returned to short mogami and long speaker cables.

This one will do you fine.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0119SJQ56/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Considering XLR connectors, gold is better than silver. Silver will tarnish gold won't. Mogami cable is high quality with tightly twisted cores for maximum interference rejection. Star Quad is used when mic level signals are likely to run next to lighting cables on long runs. Unlikely in the normal living room.

The inherent design of the XLR and the balanced configuration are responsible for the high quality signal transfer, shiny plugs and cables with effusive descriptions add nothing other than reassurance to the non technical amongst us.
(Puts tin helmet on and ducks behind parapet)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
No need to don hat of any description, as long as the cable is fit for purpose ,as Mogami certainly is then it will be completely adequate.
I use Mog here.
Keith.

I also made up six DIN to XLR interconnnects for my Naim amps using Mogami cable & Neutrik plugs. A definite improvement on the Naim jobs.

advertisement

Back