advertisement

XLR Interconnects advice...

I have some Precious Metals and XLO XLR interconnects. I don't require them now. They were very expensive (and competent) when new (XLO's £330 per set) (Precious Metals £175 per set) so I never sold them. If I have anything you might want? - I'm open to offers. Mike,

Given the choice I'd opt for RCA if runs are short because RCA does have one advantage, and that is single ended circuits have a much simplified signal path over balanced circuits, which is probably more important for home audio than noise rejection unless you have a "noisy environment". People tend to miss that one and automatically assume XLR is somehow superior for its common mode noise rejection. Not necessarily so, however there's decent electrical connectivity using XLRs and little reason for single ended kit not to use XLR connections, but this is seldom seen.

I now only used balanced interconnects (pre, power and Dac are fully balanced).

The Mogami are great for the price and I found Igloo were nice people to deal with.

Wren funds allowed I got some Cardas Golden Reference and some Analysis Plus silver Oval leads secondhand and have since put the Mogami in the cupboard.

I can use either from pre to powers, but my amps are not a truly balanced design. I have tried the exact same interconnect which I use, but in XLR format. It killed the soundstage, everything sounded more like the sound was back coming from the speakers. It is no reflection on XLR, just that in certain systems where the option is there for either, don't assume XLR will sound better.

I will try the exact same comparison when I upgrade to amps with a fully balanced design.

I can use either from pre to powers, but my amps are not a truly balanced design. I have tried the exact same interconnect which I use, but in XLR format. It killed the soundstage, everything sounded more like the sound was back coming from the speakers. It is no reflection on XLR, just that in certain systems where the option is there for either, don't assume XLR will sound better.

I will try the exact same comparison when I upgrade to amps with a fully balanced design.

Hi mfin, The ARC pre0amp should be a fully-balanced topology and, if your power amps are not, then I'd avoid using XLR-terminated cables unless you've checked the pin connections of both and there are no conflicts re pin usage and the output level from the ARC is not too high for your current amps.

If you're planning to buy a new power amp and opt for one that also uses a fully-balanced topology, then you should have no problems.

In the meantime, I'd recommend you stick with single-ended connectors from pre to power (unless ARC does not offer S/E outputs - in which case you will need to a S-e to balanced converter to match the pin-usage and levels).

XLR connectors are one thing but the pre-amp circuitry behind the outputs is another...

I use a pair made with Mogami 2549 neglex cable soldered with Multicore Crystal 505 to Neutrik xlr's with gold plated contacts. They were supplied by Krescendo Hifi. After fitting these between my Linn Ikemi and Chord Electronics CPM265 amp, I slung my other xlr cables. My system ,my ears and room of course. Don't plan to ever change these.

I went for balanced cables because pre and power are (fully differential) balanced designs... oh, and the connectors are cleaning-lady-proof!

I went for balanced cables because pre and power are (fully differential) balanced designs... oh, and the connectors are cleaning-lady-proof!

Yeah, I'll be trying them again once I upgrade to power amps that have a fully balanced design.

Another thumbs up for Van Damme Starquad with Neutrik connectors from Designcable.

£13.81 for 1m and every bit as good as my Linn Silver XLR's costing £200!

sorry for digging up an old thread -
to connect my pre-amplifier to the power amp, I need to order two cables from Designcable, £13.81 is the price for a single run, right?

I got a 2m mogami 2549 with neutrik xlrs made and delivered by a pro-audio store for less than AU$60. Probably something similar avaiable near you.

Sounds pretty good between my schiit gungnir and NAD M3....

there's decent electrical connectivity using XLRs and little reason for single ended kit not to use XLR connections, but this is seldom seen.

Exposure is the only "high end" audio product I've used that use (unbalanced) XLRs in preamp and amps. Naim, of course, use XLRs in their bigger amps but never in their preamps (that I'm aware of).

I have never heard a difference between XLR cables, they just work. I also use Canare Star Quad and Neutrik from Blue Jeans. RCA cables on the other hand can introduce variances...

sorry for digging up an old thread -
to connect my pre-amplifier to the power amp, I need to order two cables from Designcable, £13.81 is the price for a single run, right?

Yes, my mistake, I checked my eBay purchase history and that price was per 1m cable. (edit: you get 5% off when you buy two or more, which I did on a subsequent purchase)

Exposure is the only "high end" audio product I've used that use (unbalanced) XLRs in preamp and amps. Naim, of course, use XLRs in their bigger amps but never in their preamps (that I'm aware of).

My Burmester 808 Pre Amp uses (unbalanced) XLR's for output, although optional fully balanced output modules are available. It is also unconventional in that pin 3 is +hot. At my active speaker end I connect (the + output) from 3 to pin 2 and Pin 1 to shell (to avoid hum).

advertisement

Back