advertisement

Would a person’s Brexit views stop you from being friends?

But there are also still, despite all evidence showing the opposite, people who think the planet is warming up because they believe a trace gas which can't trap heat, and is at dangerously low levels of around 400 parts per million, somehow is the temperature control knob for the planet. They are wrong too.

I'm so controversial, me.
Paul R posted a while ago that there's no such thing as a climate change denier.

He stands corrected.

Joe

I only know one friend who voted to leave the EU. Her husband who’s a major fund manager tried to persuade her otherwise. Many other friends in government, medicine, law, business and other roles are active in campaigns to halt the madness. My MP is Jo Swinson and she’s not going to allow Tory cheating to undermine her constituent’s democratic rights.
Sly Hunt is claiming his Brexit will damage “attitudes to the EU for a generation”- he’s very wrong, up here it will damage his party and others instrumental in delivering this bastard. It’s going to end the UK.

I have no problem being friends with people daft enough to vote to stay in a corrupt, undemocratic, protectionist, failed attempt to create a European superstate. Obviously they are wrong. But there are also still, despite all evidence showing the opposite, people who think the planet is warming up because they believe a trace gas which can't trap heat, and is at dangerously low levels of around 400 parts per million, somehow is the temperature control knob for the planet. They are wrong too.

Youre so Gammon Supermarket.

Last edited:
He did. Where's he gone again? Hope he's alright this time. The selfish tory scumbag.
Ah's here, dude.
I just find the off topic room a tad tiresome at the moment. Interminable low level moaning by the remoaners, incredulous outrage on the Trump thread....I really can't be arsed, Rich, you self righteous lefty wimp:D
Chris

Ah's here, dude.
I just find the off topic room a tad tiresome at the moment. Interminable low level moaning by the remoaners, incredulous outrage on the Trump thread....I really can't be arsed, Rich, you self righteous lefty wimp:D
Chris
I'd kick your arse in a fight.

most of my friends are pro brexit .... quite a few of them , we have very loud arguments sometimes !!!!! i think they are all bonkers !!! especially as i live in the indusrial engine of the UK which may be affected badly

'Gerrit etten or a'll fooking brair ye'...we once heard a parent telling their children on North Sea ferries.
Excellent! The Barnsley variant I heard a few times in my youth, fortunately never directed at me was "Gerrin ere else Ah's bray thee!" Fortunately my parents were more of the "Stephen, come inside immediately please." mould, which escalated to "I won't tell you again ". I have used this latter to good effect in a factory in Rotherham, in that part of the world it is a universally understood ultimatum.

I think family is the most difficult one. My parents, who watch Russia Today and are on pro Putin mailing lists, voted leave, despite, when we talked about it prior to the vote having not much of substance to justify their views. Though much of what I said would happen has occurred or is occurring, we now just don't talk about it. I don't have any siblings, so am spared your situation, drood. My mum's brother and his family are vigorously pro remain, though I think now the subject just gets avoided there too.

My parents and sister voted leave. My sister is quiet about it, but my mother still insists "it had to be done", largely on the basis that there were too many eastern Europeans coming over, filling schools, using the NHS, filling houses etc. It cost me a fortune moving my devalued £ back to the US when my US wife insisted we move back to the US post Brexit. My family are unapologetic - apparently it's a price worth paying (by me, and others - they are personally unaffected). I try not to let it poison family relations, but it is very difficult, and getting more so as Brexit unfolds ever more disastrously and family are still completely unapologetic.

I have no problem being friends with people daft enough to vote to stay in a corrupt, undemocratic, protectionist, failed attempt to create a European superstate. Obviously they are wrong. But there are also still, despite all evidence showing the opposite, people who think the planet is warming up because they believe a trace gas which can't trap heat, and is at dangerously low levels of around 400 parts per million, somehow is the temperature control knob for the planet. They are wrong too.

In the last sentence you seem to have been confused, using the word "controversial" instead of "wrong".

No.

I'm a liberal lefty my better half is a Tory. She is pro hunting unlike every sinue of me. She is pro brixit I'm a European.

We are not all the same And IMHO it is narrow to surround yourself with only like minded folk.

Keep keeping on.

M

Excellent! The Barnsley variant I heard a few times in my youth, fortunately never directed at me was "Gerrin ere else Ah's bray thee!" Fortunately my parents were more of the "Stephen, come inside immediately please." mould, which escalated to "I won't tell you again ". I have used this latter to good effect in a factory in Rotherham, in that part of the world it is a universally understood ultimatum.
Try the former for instant respect from the plebs

advertisement

Back