advertisement

Would a person’s Brexit views stop you from being friends?

ff1d1l

pfm Member
Okay, I'll give it another go...

Personally, I've cooled towards some people as a result of them holding such views, and I find it hard to envisage starting a friendship with individuals who were pro brexit at this moment.

I'll say, though, that I could envisage getting on very well with some leavers, say, on this forum, Rich or ET, despite our differing views, and, if ever in north Wales ever, do get in touch and we'll put that to the test - I think a good time would be had by all. I'd even consider Mescalito - he has great taste in music.

Perhaps, when this clusterfluck does whatever its going to do, some sort of Truth and Reconciliation committee could be formed.

My brother voted Leave but we have completely different temperaments and attitudes anyway so it was just the latest in a long line of issues we tend to skirt around. In practice, we rub along pretty well, in spite of our differences.

My brother voted Leave but we have completely different temperaments and attitudes anyway so it was just the latest in a long line of issues we tend to skirt around. In practice, we rub along pretty well, in spite of our differences.
I think family is the most difficult one. My parents, who watch Russia Today and are on pro Putin mailing lists, voted leave, despite, when we talked about it prior to the vote having not much of substance to justify their views. Though much of what I said would happen has occurred or is occurring, we now just don't talk about it. I don't have any siblings, so am spared your situation, drood. My mum's brother and his family are vigorously pro remain, though I think now the subject just gets avoided there too.

No problem with a Brexiteer even though I would have voted remain. But I'd struggle with people who want the vote to be overturned because it is, according to them, the result of 'dumb voters'.

Last edited:
Okay, I'll give it another go...

Personally, I've cooled towards some people as a result of them holding such views, and I find it hard to envisage starting a friendship with individuals who were pro brexit at this moment.

I'll say, though, that I could envisage getting on very well with some leavers, say, on this forum, Rich or ET, despite our differing views, and, if ever in north Wales ever, do get in touch and we'll put that to the test - I think a good time would be had by all. I'd even consider Mescalito - he has great taste in music.

Perhaps, when this clusterfluck does whatever its going to do, some sort of Truth and Reconciliation committee could be formed.
If you mean me thanks. If someone else, oh well!

I have defo lost a friend, German living in Hull. She ignores my FB posts and does not reply to my messages.

Bummer, I really liked her and now I work in her country and her hometown is only 50 miles away from me. Worse because actually I am not bothered either way enough about Brexit. I voted out. Didn't mind telling people. Then the social shitstorm happened. I'm not voting in the 2nd referendum. I'd rather keep my friends. And as they seem to care about it more than I do, I think it right I keep my nose out.

No problem with a Brexiteer even though I would have voted remain. But I'd struggle with people who want the vote to be overturned because the result is, according to them, the result of 'dumb voters'.

yes, sadly the remoaners are still out in force :(

If you mean me thanks. If someone else, oh well!

I have defo lost a friend, German living in Hull. She ignores my FB posts and does not reply to my messages.

Bummer, I really liked her and now I work in her country and her hometown is only 50 miles away from me. Worse because actually I am not bothered either way enough about Brexit. I voted out. Didn't mind telling people. Then the social shitstorm happened. I'm not voting in the 2nd referendum. I'd rather keep my friends.
I meant you, Rich.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

No problem with a Brexiteer even though I would have voted remain. But I'd struggle with people who want the vote to be overturned because the result is, according to them, the result of 'dumb voters'.
A dumb decision, then. Perhaps needing re thinking?

i wonder just how far some folk would be prepared to adhere to such a principle when the price of uninformed decision making became personal. and high. read for example, charles lambs' dissertation on roast pig.

I see no reason why one could not keep up a reasonable discussion... ...no, no, the faggots need to be piled up right under the stake... ...whatever the eventual fallout from Brexit means in terms of the political situation in the UK. Even if the predictions of rioting and civil... ...soak the mask in the water, it ensures they won't pass out from the smoke before feeling the cleansing pain of the fire... ...disobedience, even war turn out to be true.

Now. Do you want a blindfold?

I have no problem being friends with people daft enough to vote to stay in a corrupt, undemocratic, protectionist, failed attempt to create a European superstate. Obviously they are wrong. But there are also still, despite all evidence showing the opposite, people who think the planet is warming up because they believe a trace gas which can't trap heat, and is at dangerously low levels of around 400 parts per million, somehow is the temperature control knob for the planet. They are wrong too.

I'm so controversial, me.

advertisement

Back