advertisement

Workshop in garden

Just looked at the OP again - what does he repair? Piccolos, jaws' harps and mouth organs? 30 sq. metres?
I'll double my bet about not building big enough.
Brass and woodwind, so portable. You are right though, it's a small space for what he wants. My garage is 6x6m and I could fill it easily.

Just don't do any welding in a wooden shed otherwise you might have an expensive bonfire. Reminds me of setting my jumper alight when welding. I didn't notice for ages at which point there were many exaggerated hand movements.

It somewhat depends on what equipment he needs but I am sure he knows the space he needs. I know a professional clarinet and saxophone servicing and repair chap and he does it all from a 20sqm super shed with security and insulation etc.

I have a good experience with a "better than average shed" where I bought a high quality shed kit that came with with 18mm cladding, vapour barrier and metal sheeting roof for around £2.5k. It needed a concrete base with brick plinth which the shed sits on and I then insulated and lined it with OSB. Painted it all white inside and got a sparks to run a 16mm SWA armoured cable from the house on its own breaker circuit. I have an alarm system and frost heater and it is brilliant, not too hot in the summer and can get toasty in the winter.

I do woodwork in there mostly and have some pretty big machines on mobile bases as well as permanently installed. Size is 5.5m by 3.6m and under 2.5m for planning reasons.

37746627026_2ce875a6bc_c.jpg

37085763794_bb64760b5a_c.jpg

49764846951_be58e8acf4_c.jpg

49862391318_cdf35974d2_c.jpg

49863237452_14a2dbb777_c.jpg

In England? (Things are different in Scotland, and probably NI, not sure about Wales)
Planning permission required and obtained? Something like 30?% of your plot can be covered by temporary building below a certain height.

I VERY much doubt that any legally temporary building is an asset to any house. As many people would hate it as would like it - the same as a conservatory.

Planning permission is generally not required for a temporary build ( wooden structure) under 2.5m tall, though as you say this will vary depending upon area.

I built an 18 1/2ft X 12 1/2ft shed when I lived in England, concrete base which the shed was fixed too, 18mm outside boards, fully wired, lined & insulated, painted both inside and out, sage green with cream window frames on the outside, white on the inside, wood laminate floor and skirting boards on the inside, a full width bench at one end. I also paved a small patio area and path, a planter, a couple of hanging baskets , some tubs and pots and a small lawn area to soften the hard structural lines.
The estate agent reckoned it added about £10K value to the property, indeed it sold for £13K more than the last 3 bed semi in that area.
It was not listed as a shed in the agents listing, rather an additional outdoor room fit for a variety of purposes, office, playroom, etc.
So where as an old rotten shed will not help add value to a property a nicely positioned and well finished outdoor room definetly will, reckon even more so after the recent pandemic.

So where as an old rotten shed will not help add value to a property a nicely positioned and well finished outdoor room definetly will, reckon even more so after the recent pandemic.
I'm sure that this is the case. I know a few people with a summerhouse, playroom, workshop, gin house, they all make the house more desirable. Even if you don't want a woodwork shed or office, even somewhere to put the kids bikes is handy.

A friend of mine is in the process of setting up/expanding his business of musical instrument servicing, repair and sales. He currently operates it from a spare bedroom but it is getting too big for the room. He needs to build a secure workshop in his garden so he can work on them and store them before/after repair. For this he needs 25-30+ sq m with heating, lighting, power, and doors that need more than a screwdriver to open. He's able to get a shipping container craned in but is aware that by the time you fit them out with windows, doors, insulation etc they are the same price as a conventional build. Log cabins are an option, it is after all his garden and he doesn't want to look at an ugly tin box every time he is doing his washing up. He would very much like to track down a second hand option, were one available. A used Portakabin wouldn't be out of the question, nor would a currently-in-vogue garden office. A certain amount of DIY is expected, though he doesn't price his time at zero, even now.

I have seen a variety of solutions and helped build a workshop from a pile of timber, so I can see the merits of different approaches. Has anyone done similar and what were the pros and cons of that approach?

Used Portakabin buildings here:

https://www.portakabin.com/gb-en/us...or-sale/?SearchTerm=&SearchPageType=0&Take=21

Not in England - far more complicated than that. Most regulations relate to cubic measure, not footprint square metres, for a start.

Thanks vinny , i only know as neighbours built quite a big building in garden and i asked building control if they were supervising it as couldnt see any drainage . They said they didnt need to if it was under 30 sq metres , i said its 42 sq m and they said get onto local building control as they should be monitoring it .

been admiring one of these though for another project

https://www.quick-garden.co.uk/log-cabins/log-cabin-robin-4-5m-x-4-5m-15x15-ft-44-mm.html

I followed this guys ideas when building a shed last year. Really solid, fully weatherproof. Cost me no more than a standard shed and it will last forever

MASSIVELY over-engineered and if had used shuttering ply the price would have been way less.

What kind of idiot uses screws on a shed hinges and bolt? Remove 2? 4? 6? screws and you're in.

He'll be keeping expensive equipment and other people's instruments in it. Security must be a priority.
I've toyed with the idea of buying a field or a bit of woodland to enable me to enlarge my apiary. I'd be storing a lot of beekeeping equipment in it. A container would be my first choice for both him and me.

I'm sure that this is the case. I know a few people with a summerhouse, playroom, workshop, gin house, they all make the house more desirable. Even if you don't want a woodwork shed or office, even somewhere to put the kids bikes is handy.

There are a trillion miles between increased desirability and increased value, speed to sale etc.

£10/13K difference in this case? Jeez, better décor (which will be ripped out 6 months after sale) will get you that, as will being first, second or third from a corner in the road.

There are a trillion miles between increased desirability and increased value, speed to sale etc.

£10/13K difference in this case? Jeez, better décor (which will be ripped out 6 months after sale) will get you that, as will being first, second or third from a corner in the road.
That's interesting, what's the corner thing about? I can see being first makes you semi detached (if a terrace) but what's so good about the next two?

advertisement

Back