advertisement

Workshop in garden

stevec67

pfm Member
A friend of mine is in the process of setting up/expanding his business of musical instrument servicing, repair and sales. He currently operates it from a spare bedroom but it is getting too big for the room. He needs to build a secure workshop in his garden so he can work on them and store them before/after repair. For this he needs 25-30+ sq m with heating, lighting, power, and doors that need more than a screwdriver to open. He's able to get a shipping container craned in but is aware that by the time you fit them out with windows, doors, insulation etc they are the same price as a conventional build. Log cabins are an option, it is after all his garden and he doesn't want to look at an ugly tin box every time he is doing his washing up. He would very much like to track down a second hand option, were one available. A used Portakabin wouldn't be out of the question, nor would a currently-in-vogue garden office. A certain amount of DIY is expected, though he doesn't price his time at zero, even now.

I have seen a variety of solutions and helped build a workshop from a pile of timber, so I can see the merits of different approaches. Has anyone done similar and what were the pros and cons of that approach?

A friend of mine is in the process of setting up/expanding his business of musical instrument servicing, repair and sales. He currently operates it from a spare bedroom but it is getting too big for the room. He needs to build a secure workshop in his garden so he can work on them and store them before/after repair. For this he needs 25-30+ sq m with heating, lighting, power, and doors that need more than a screwdriver to open. He's able to get a shipping container craned in but is aware that by the time you fit them out with windows, doors, insulation etc they are the same price as a conventional build. Log cabins are an option, it is after all his garden and he doesn't want to look at an ugly tin box every time he is doing his washing up. He would very much like to track down a second hand option, were one available. A used Portakabin wouldn't be out of the question, nor would a currently-in-vogue garden office. A certain amount of DIY is expected, though he doesn't price his time at zero, even now.

I have seen a variety of solutions and helped build a workshop from a pile of timber, so I can see the merits of different approaches. Has anyone done similar and what were the pros and cons of that approach?
Not built one myself (but would love to one day). Take a look at UK workshops forum, it's a general woodworkers forum but this sort of thing comes up once in a while and there is some useful info. To state the bleeding obvious get it watertight and insulated!

Our Tony laid a 4m x 4m concrete base in his back garden and built his man cave on it using euro pallets for the frame. He skinned the outside with tongue and grooved boards and used sterling board on the inside. Roof was done in sterling boards and felted. A lot of the materials were reclaimed and I have to say he made a really good job of it.

I bought a used log cabin that was in very good nick. Laid a 5m x 4m concrete base then put up the cabin. As long as you follow the instructions they are fairly easy to do. All in i think it was about 3.5k . Added electrics with a consumer box in the cabin and run to separate feed to the house-about £700.

Meant to add - also looked at a shipping container but dismissed it on 1. however you dress it up it is still an ugly metal box , 2. they get as hot as hell in summer and 3. the log cabin is an asset to the house if it comes time to sell, not sure the SC would be.

In England? (Things are different in Scotland, and probably NI, not sure about Wales)
Planning permission required and obtained? Something like 30?% of your plot can be covered by temporary building below a certain height. PP for anything in front of the building line would be a miracle.
Planning permission for change of use for all or part of premises? He'd absolutely certainly need this.
Insurance to cover repair items that he doesn't own? He might swing it if it was in the bedroom, but outside etc...……….

Timber and genuinely secure - all but mutually totally incompatible.

I VERY much doubt that any legally temporary building is an asset to any house. As many people would hate it as would like it - the same as a conservatory. If he wants to add value to the house, build a two storey extension for the business and store non-valuables - raw materials, smaller machines - in a shed.

I'd bet good money he won't build even remotely big enough.

Aesthetically you can’t beat a freshly decorated tinker’s caravan with a few hanging baskets - maybe a tinker as well if you can stretch to it.

If he has a mortgage on the property , some don't allow working a business from a home premises

Make sure that there isn't a covenant on the house that states they can't conduct business from the premises.
Yes, worth checking and if there is seek legal advice as they are often unenforceable.

Planning issues re change of use are a separate matter.

Our Tony laid a 4m x 4m concrete base in his back garden and built his man cave on it using euro pallets for the frame. He skinned the outside with tongue and grooved boards and used sterling board on the inside. Roof was done in sterling boards and felted. A lot of the materials were reclaimed and I have to say he made a really good job of it.
I've heard of people using pallet wood but not entire pallets that they then skin. Good idea. That would be relatively quick. In addition it would be secure, for a timber building. Anyone who doubts this should break a pallet up with a crowbar and measure the time spent and noise made. I'd rather go through a hundred double glazed windows.

At our last factory unit we ran out of space. Around 1996 I guess. We bought a used large Portakabin and installed it onto a quickly made concrete base. Fitted out as a boardroom (well...meeting/training room) it was extremely comfortable.

Anyone who doubts this should break a pallet up with a crowbar and measure the time spent and noise made. I'd rather go through a hundred double glazed windows.

With a battery reciprocating saw so available for peanuts these days - why use a crowbar?

We bought a used large Portakabin and installed it onto a quickly made concrete base. Fitted out as a boardroom (well...meeting/training room) it was extremely comfortable.

Absolutely - for a NEW one. Used ones are a nightmare as they age and start to leak. Also about as secure, unaltered, as a thickish paper bag.

At our last factory unit we ran out of space. Around 1996 I guess. We bought a used large Portakabin and installed it onto a quickly made concrete base. Fitted out as a boardroom (well...meeting/training room) it was extremely comfortable.

I don't think I'd want of those eyesores in the garden.

With a battery reciprocating saw so available for peanuts these days - why use a crowbar?
Why use a saw?
I'd use a spring loaded centre punch on a French window. 2 dull thuds, done in seconds. Sit back and check for lights coming on or alarms. No unwelcome activity, in you go.

Just looked at the OP again - what does he repair? Piccolos, jaws' harps and mouth organs? 30 sq. metres?

That is less than a double garage. I could EASILY fill a double garage with general DIY kit and leave barely enough room to handle a project as large as, I don't know, a dustbin/a dining chair.

I'll double my bet about not building big enough.

advertisement

Back