advertisement

Winter tyres - the ADAC's annual assessment

You were coming from Grantown Steve? I heard the B939 was blocked at Cockbridge, as usual.

Yes - was coming from the Tomintoul side. There was snow most of the way down to Cockbridge so might well have been closed at some point, although the snow gates were open when we went past. If there had been snow in Tomintoul we'd have come back via the A9 but thought we'd give it a go since we'd already started up towards the Lecht.

Have ordered a set of Goodyear Vector 4season G3's to replace the budget, Chinese summer tyres currently on the Jazz. Via ASDA Tyres, seemed a good price, but 2 days later, still no word from the garage that is supposed to be doing the fitting.

Have just sold the old Subaru Forester with AWD, Winter tyres and heated seats....missing it already. Down-sizing can be a bummer.

My car doesn't need winter tyres because it's got a "Snow" button on its traction control. You would have thought, in this modern technological world, all cars would have a snow button.

My car doesn't need winter tyres because it's got a "Snow" button on its traction control. You would have thought, in this modern technological world, all cars would have a snow button.
Have you driven your car in very icy & snowy conditions?
My only comment is that traction is one thing, having grip in terrible conditions at all wheels is another, especially if the vehicle is rear wheel drive.

Our old Jazz used to be quite capable in the snow with summer tyres on - I imagine one with all-seasons will be pretty good.

Thanks, that's good to know. Sometimes small, light cars with narrow tyres can have good grip "off road". I once had a tiny Nissan Micra that was excellent in deep snow and mud.

Have ordered a set of Goodyear Vector 4season G3's to replace the budget, Chinese summer tyres currently on the Jazz. Via ASDA Tyres, seemed a good price, but 2 days later, still no word from the garage that is supposed to be doing the fitting.

Have just sold the old Subaru Forester with AWD, Winter tyres and heated seats....missing it already. Down-sizing can be a bummer.

You'll like them; very good tyres :)

If my BMW sells tomorrow I'll be getting a set for the wife's Racing Jazz; will use Tyresonthedrive again, they've been great both times I've used them so far

Especially that section downhill from The Lecht!

That was the bit I was slightly concerned about however the car coped pretty well and there were no issues, even at the sharp corners between "The Watchers" and Cockbridge. After Cockbridge the snow was gone though, and even through Glenshee (which I think is slightly higher than the Lecht) the road was clear.

It's been snowing quite heavily here on edge of the Pentland Hills and it's currently looking like my wife might have made a mistake taking her SLK to work this morning instead of my car with it's all-seasons on!

My only issue with snow and ice is when I have to drive.

Snow tyres, 4WD, TCS (on snow setting), mastery of the 'dab of opposite lock', cadence braking is all well and good, but it won't stop a driver of a PCP'd Audi/BMW hatchback (shod with summer 3 x nankang + 1 x continental tyre combo) from clipping you round these parts of the South East.

Proper cold here this morning, car covered in frozen rain drops, had to pour the kettle over it to get the door open. 40 mile drive, forgot how good winter tyres are in cold conditions, so compliant and grippy and quiet too! Brilliant job, made it to the garage safely, will be leaving with new back brakes hopefully :)

My only issue with snow and ice is when I have to drive.

Snow tyres, 4WD, TCS (on snow setting), mastery of the 'dab of opposite lock', cadence braking is all well and good, but it won't stop a driver of a PCP'd Audi/BMW hatchback (shod with summer 3 x nankang + 1 x continental tyre combo) from clipping you round these parts of the South East.

The first time it snowed in London I felt pretty smug as I had a 4x4 with mud & snow tyres on however it didn't help as the roads were blocked with abandoned/stuck cars and there was no way through anyway!

advertisement

Back