advertisement

Winter tyres - the ADAC's annual assessment

Drop down to 18" alloys & tyres then...

Lots of folk drop a size for better ride & comfort... If you've got RFTs too, consider binning them and going to non RFTs and have a decent tyre repair kit in the boot etc...

We're about to get a new car that's on 19s; I'll be sorting a set of straight 18x8 alloys for winter tyres ASAP and the staggered 19s I may sell on and get a set of staggered 18s for summer tyres.

All will be on RFTs
I have given that some consideration, 18 is one of the approved fitments. I'm not on RFTs, I have a wheelbarrow job in case of a puncture.

Too warm for winter tyres in Hertfordshire this week!

Back in 2013, a mate who worked for Pirelli took his winter tyre shod 300bhp Golf to the Nurburgring. It was Easter, not cold. The tyres didn’t let him down at all. He had to stop once though to let his passenger barf over the Armco!

He took me out in it too on his way back, quite astonishing performance (and driving) for a fwd car with so much power and the wrong tyres.

Even back then he said that they were on the verge of most drivers being able to leave winters on their cars all year in Britain. And then all-seasons took off a short time after.

But still some will say the turn to chewing gum in warmer weather…

Back in 2013, a mate who worked for Pirelli took his winter tyre shod 300bhp Golf to the Nurburgring. It was Easter, not cold. The tyres didn’t let him down at all. He had to stop once though to let his passenger barf over the Armco!

He took me out in it too on his way back, quite astonishing performance (and driving) for a fwd car with so much power and the wrong tyres.

Even back then he said that they were on the verge of most drivers being able to leave winters on their cars all year in Britain. And then all-seasons took off a short time after.

But still some will say the turn to chewing gum in warmer weather…
They certainly wear a bit quicker in warm weather, but there you go. Soft tyres do. I had a set of Yokohama 032Rs on the Caterham. One weekend I did about 600 miles, it took about 1mm off the tread. Mind you I was doing a bit of "enthusiastic" driving and there was a bit of tread rolling evident when I stopped later. I can also report that the same Yokos are really horrible in cold, greasy conditions. They just don't get warm enough to work as intended.

But still some will say the turn to chewing gum in warmer weather

They really don't... But they will wear faster if you use them all year round due to their softer compounds...

I've never had an issue driving my BMWs with winter tyres from October through to March; they've always done well.

And generally mild blips through winter are just that; the temps will still drop, there'll still be plenty of wet wether etc and that's where they come into their own...

They really don't... But they will wear faster if you use them all year round due to their softer compounds...

I've never had an issue driving my BMWs with winter tyres from October through to March; they've always done well.

And generally mild blips through winter are just that; the temps will still drop, there'll still be plenty of wet wether etc and that's where they come into their own...

Yep. When I bought the first set of winters, I was commuting 500 miles per week, and leaving home at 5.40am, home again at 6.20pm, so rarely driving during the warmer hours of a winter’s day. Now… 35 miles per week, weedy front wheel drive car, I can cycle or even walk it in bad weather, so I’ve not bothered with winters for the Passat.

Interesting thread - I've just purchased some Goodyear Vector 4 G3s, whilst there's little snow down here (south Devon) the roads do get very wet and some of those lanes do get rather muddy - they'll certainly be better than what I'm currently using, a hotch-potch of different brands and differing levels of tread!

I think all-season tyres make sense in the UK when road temperatures will drop below 7C for a good part of the year, so you get better grip for braking and cornering, and better traction. But I guess the further south you go, the shorter the period when this has value. I’m probably going to Michelin CrossClimate 2s when mine need replacing, but that’s at least a year away.
As it happens I went for Bridgestone Weather Control 005 Evos in the end. When I got the car it had 17” wheels with some nearly new Michelin SUV jobbies on the front, and part worn Contis on the rear. I didn’t really enjoy the Michelins, steering was vague and uninspiring. So I’d gone off the idea of the Cross Clinates a bit.

I got a set of 18” wheels (the standard for the car) and fitted the Bridgestones because the firm that refurbed the wheels could supply and fit for a decent price. It’s transformed the handling. Much more reassuring, grip is very good, esp in the wet. I’m very happy so far, but only just going into their first cold weather so time will tell.

As it happens I went for Bridgestone Weather Control 005 Evos in the end. When I got the car it had 17” wheels with some nearly new Michelin SUV jobbies on the front, and part worn Contis on the rear. I didn’t really enjoy the Michelins, steering was vague and uninspiring. So I’d gone off the idea of the Cross Clinates a bit.
I've got Cross Climates on my SUV and on my rear-wheel drive estate and find they drive very well in any conditions including in the summer. On my Merc estate in the dry they're at least as good as the OE Hankook summer tyres were, but much much better in adverse conditions and very effective in the snow until you run out of ground clearance.

We had to do a bit of driving on snow at the weekend (where the road passes the Lecht ski centre) plus encountered lots of standing water which they handled well (that was on the SUV - the estate car would have struggled with the depth of some of the water we encountered).

I thought winter tyres would be a great idea so bought a set of spare wheels/ winter tyres. It’s a huge PITA. I’ve still got them on from last autumn and I’m going to wear them out, flog the wheels and just get all season tyres on the primary wheels. I only do 5000 miles pa and don’t have to drive if the snow is that bad.
A salutary lesson was in the great freeze 2009? when it didn’t thaw for about 5 weeks- a journey that takes 50 min lasted 5 hours in a 4WD Toyota. We couldn’t get past the hundreds of cars blocking every road around Glasgow.

I thought winter tyres would be a great idea so bought a set of spare wheels/ winter tyres. It’s a huge PITA. I’ve still got them on from last autumn and I’m going to wear them out, flog the wheels and just get all season tyres on the primary wheels. I only do 5000 miles pa and don’t have to drive if the snow is that bad.
A salutary lesson was in the great freeze 2009? when it didn’t thaw for about 5 weeks- a journey that takes 50 min lasted 5 hours in a 4WD Toyota. We couldn’t get past the hundreds of cars blocking every road around Glasgow.
if you only do 5k miles a year 2 sets of tyres is a waste of time. Typically FWD front tyres last 20k, rears twice that. Obviously different for RWD and 4WD. But even faster wearing winter tyres will last 4years/8 years by which time you won't care. As for the difference in dry grip, it's not important. Everything grips in the dry unless you're mad. The way speed limits are going you could just as well fit 125 x 15 tyres from a 2CV and not notice any shortcomings.

advertisement

Back